OT: - Favorite Cover's of Classic or Iconic Songs | Page 13 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Cover's of Classic or Iconic Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How'd I miss this thread? Making up for lost time now. Anyway I don't know who would be identified as the original on this. Josh Groban's rendition is very popular, but I am partial to Helene Fisher's You Raise Me Up.

Reaction Score
Back in the mid 90s Huey Lewis & The News released an album of R&B covers. I thought it was a great album.
-Four Chords and Several Years Ago-
Always thought that Huey and The News was a class act and enjoyed most of what they produced.
Here is a wonderful cover of Little Bitty Pretty One originally by Thurston Harris.

Reaction Score
How'd I miss this thread? Making up for lost time now. Anyway I don't know who would be identified as the original on this. Josh Groban's rendition is very popular, but I am partial to Helene Fisher's You Raise Me Up.

Hey RockyMTblue2- - -Thanks for introducing me to Helene Fisher!
Great voice and stylist I just wish she had more CD's in English!

Reaction Score

Jane Zhang-The Diva Dance(from the Fifth Element)

Jane is a very popular pop singer in China, surprisingly she can sing the Diva Dance.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Jane Zhang-The Diva Dance(from the Fifth Element)

Jane is a very popular pop singer in China, surprisingly she can sing the Diva Dance.

I just discovered her the other day. Bridge Over Troubled Water. Great. Occasionally it occurs to me that we all were created with a measure of song in us. There are so many wonderful voices.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Another one that I'm asking y'all not to dismiss out of hand. This is My Pal Foot Foot, originally recorded by the Shaggs. This cover really keeps the spirit of the original, yet makes it into quite a listenable song:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Another one that I'm asking y'all not to dismiss out of hand. This is My Pal Foot Foot, originally recorded by the Shaggs. This cover really keeps the spirit of the original, yet makes it into quite a listenable song:

Might be the greatest cover ever. If measuring distance from original to cover.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not sure if we did this one yet or not. Don't remember it, but there are a lot of pages.

CCR's "long" version of Heard It Through the Grapevine

Written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong for Motown. Originally done by Gladys Knight & the Pips, then The Miracles, and then of course the well known version by Marvin Gaye.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Back in the mid 90s Huey Lewis & The News released an album of R&B covers. I thought it was a great album.
-Four Chords and Several Years Ago-
Always thought that Huey and The News was a class act and enjoyed most of what they produced.
Here is a wonderful cover of Little Bitty Pretty One originally by Thurston Harris.
I agree 100%. Huey Lewis is arguably the best Karaoke singer around. He even starred in a movie about Karaoke with Gwyneth Paltrow called Duets. They had a minor hit with this Smokey Robinson song.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Feelin' Alright was originally written by Dave Mason of Traffic in 1968. Joe Cocker had a minor hit with the song in 1969. But, Huey Lewis did his own version of the song for the 2000 movie Duets. He can cover any song and make it sound great.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I had never heard of Robbie Williams. Apparently, he had several pop singles in the early 200s. But I found a DVD of his concert at Royal Albert Hall, where he sings the standards. I highly recommend this album/DVD. He performs songs like Mack the Knife and Mr. Bojangles. Here's an excellent sample. I love the Bib Band Sound. There is nothing like it. The music my Mom grew up with.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Feelin' Alright was originally written by Dave Mason of Traffic in 1968. Joe Cocker had a minor hit with the song in 1969. But, Huey Lewis did his own version of the song for the 2000 movie Duets. He can cover any song and make it sound great.

That's Cocker's song, all day long. Like how Respect is Aretha's.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
That's Cocker's song, all day long. Like how Respect is Aretha's.
That's a matter of personal preference. But for the record (from WIKI)

Feelin' Alright?

Joe Cocker recorded it to lead off his debut album With a Little Help from My Friends in 1969. He also amended the title of the original from "Feelin' Alright?" to "Feeling Alright". Released as a single in 1969, it reached #69 on the US singles chart,[3] and #49 in Canada.[4] In a 1972 re-release, it reached even higher to #33 on the same chart,[5] and #35 in Canada.[6] A live version was included in his double album Mad Dogs & Englishmen of 1970. Cocker performed a 'duet' of this song with John Belushi imitating Cocker on the third episode of Saturday Night Live's second season, which aired on October 2, 1976. Cocker also performed the song with Huey Lewis on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, which aired on 19 July 2012.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like that version.

Also liked this live version by a band out of NY called Turkauz. Looks like they are having fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom