CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Since we've moved on to videos, I'll add

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Since we've moved on to videos, I'll add

I might get suspended for saying this...... but two things would make the campus better....... a football stadium..... and the elimination of that dome arena I see poking out. ;):p:eek::D;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I've stated earlier some of the things my favorite campuses usually have... stone buildings.....a great chapel.... and one more thing.... a great quad. Of all of the campuses Ive been on... my favorite quad is at the University of Illinois.

Reaction Score
Im think of driving to Charlottesville in a few weeks for lunch or dinner.. If I make it.. I'll be sure to drive through the campus if possible. Ive heard good things about it.
Behind Jefferson's Rotunda is "The Lawn" original "dorm" rooms. No shower, toilet, etc. Gotta walk outside to get to a shower. Underclassmen put wood outside the rooms for each student's fireplace. Stop by Edgar Alan Poe's room as it was, there's a stuffed Raven on his desk.

Reaction Score
1603010147422.png

Sorry to put an end to the discussion...
Washington and Lee University, the true University of Virginia!

Reaction Score
The UVA campus is quite nice. The original portion of the University of Maryland College Park campus is also quite pretty, unfortunately as the campus grew the newer buildings detract from the overall beauty of the campus in my opinion.

Reaction Score
In my humble opinion, the Ivy campuses rank as follows:

Princeton, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, Brown, Penn, Columbia. The top three rate well above the rest.

However.............I acknowledge that contrasting urban campuses in Cambridge, New Haven, Providence, Philadelphia and New York, with the more rural campuses in Princeton, Ithaca and Hanover..........is a bit unfair.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
View attachment 59999
Sorry to put an end to the discussion...
Washington and Lee University, the true University of Virginia!

1) I can't agree... brick campuses can never take the top spot (my opinion of course)

2) I passed through Lexington last fall during my quest to find Asian Pears..... didnt have the time to explore the town though. Definitely will explore the town and campuses a bit more during my next Asian Pear hunting trip.

Reaction Score
My favorite is Penn, though I am an alum, so I am biased. I also liked UCLA, from which I have a grad degree.

Reaction Score
I haven't visited all that many. I did briefly pass by Pepperdine, agreed it is beautiful.

Washington has some classic architecture, athletic facilities on the shore of Lake Washington, a big courtyard with a fountain, some famous cherry blossom trees that are wonderful in the spring.

Some other campuses that I've strolled around at least a little bit that I found pleasant--Montana St., Oregon St., Oregon.

Oh, also briefly visited Sewanee, TN (looks like the school is referred to both as Sewanee and The University of the South?). My memories are vague but I remember being very impressed by the stone work of the buildings.

The chapel at the Air Force Academy in Colorado is magnificent.

Not sure how I missed this thread or THIS post, but Sewanee: The University of the South is my alma mater! I'm so glad you had a chance to visit, @nwhoopfan !! :D

Like many of you, I'm pretty biased about the campus and Sewanee is one of my favorite places on Earth. The domain is roughly 13,000 acres of heaven on top of a plateau in Tennessee. And for all of you Harry Potter fans... it's basically Hogwarts in real life! Yea, Sewanee's Right (YSR!) ;)
0.jpg

classic_sml_baccalaureate17-2.jpg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In my humble opinion, the Ivy campuses rank as follows:

Princeton, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, Brown, Penn, Columbia. The top three rate well above the rest.

However.............I acknowledge that contrasting urban campuses in Cambridge, New Haven, Providence, Philadelphia and New York, with the more rural campuses in Princeton, Ithaca and Hanover..........is a bit unfair.
I have been on the Princeton campus quite a bit. There are certainly some nice (and roach infested) buildings on it but overall I just don't see it at the top of this list.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Both my kids graduated from Miami and I live 30 minutes away. I agree that it's a really beautiful campus. Uptown is cool too:)

Reaction Score
Princeton is overrated, even though I came across a deer on my way to a hockey game on campus. Location is horrible. New Jersey destroyed Rt 1 going through the state. Female student selling tickets seemed upset she never saw a deer on campus. The hills (and mountains) of NY and New England make NJ look like wasteland.

No NESCAC schools mentioned? This conference has at least 5 of the 10 oldest football fields in the country.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I was a student here 52 years ago. I wonder if anyone can guess either the name of the University or its locale.

image.jpeg

Palacio de la Magdalena, La Universidad Internacional Menéndez y Pelayo, Santander, Cantabria, España
This was once the summer palace of the Spanish royal family.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom