OT: - Favorite College Campuses | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite College Campuses

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What are some of your favorite college campuses in terms of beauty, aesthetics, surroundings? Which campuses do you think of when you picture what a campus should look like? Feel free to add pics.

Reaction Score
8F094DC6-283B-4CF6-9A52-5A12291FC7D0.jpeg

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, many campuses are a mix of style, location and appeal. For example, while Rutgers would not make a top 300 list IMHO, the "Old Queens" block on the College Avenue campus is everything you think of - historic buildings, chapel, 1860's observatory, trees, etc.

I've been to a lot of basketball games at various schools, but it was hard to get a feel for the campuses, athletic facilities not always being in the prime area. Parts of Princeton - which we drove through many times - also had that "campus" feel.

Reaction Score
I’m sadly unfamiliar with most of the west coast campuses. I’m very familiar with the Northeast and South and somewhat familiar with the Midwest.

The Northeast, outside of Yale and Harvard, generally can’t compete - especially on the state school/big school level

Most of the Midwest schools are “fine” with the exception of Indiana, which is a really nice campus and town.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I haven't visited all that many. I did briefly pass by Pepperdine, agreed it is beautiful.

Washington has some classic architecture, athletic facilities on the shore of Lake Washington, a big courtyard with a fountain, some famous cherry blossom trees that are wonderful in the spring.

Some other campuses that I've strolled around at least a little bit that I found pleasant--Montana St., Oregon St., Oregon.

Oh, also briefly visited Sewanee, TN (looks like the school is referred to both as Sewanee and The University of the South?). My memories are vague but I remember being very impressed by the stone work of the buildings.

The chapel at the Air Force Academy in Colorado is magnificent.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I went to a small liberal arts college in Meadville, Pa named Allegheny College. It was a small town and the campus had a nice mixture of historic and contemporary architecture. I have not been there in nearly fifty years but my memories are pleasant. I had close friends who went to UVa and that was a beautiful campus. I watched a lacrosse championship game there , but lacrosse was still a new sport then! ;)

Reaction Score
I am partial to this one, although it is an acquired taste. ;) West Virginia University. Lots of hills and stairs as the school in settled in the Monongahela River valley. The top image is of the "old" downtown Morgantown campus and the middle image is the "new" Evansdale campus. Spent most of my first two years downtown and the last two years on the Evansdale Campus in the Engineering Sciences Building which is the multi story building in the center of the picture. The campuses are about two miles apart and connected with a computer controlled people mover. There is also a campus for the medical school where the stadium is located.

WVU downtown campus.jpg
feb1d486-31ce-458d-9365-a71c673753de.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Above is the University Of Pittsburgh. It looks like someone picked a spot in the middle of the city and set the Cathedral Of Learning. While there are no rolling hills we have three rivers, great restaurants, playhouses, and nightlife. Not too mention some of the finest hospitals in the world for medical students.

Reaction Score
Yes, I am familiar with that view of Pittsburgh. Have many friends there.

Reaction Score
I went to a small liberal arts college in Meadville, Pa named Allegheny College. It was a small town and the campus had a nice mixture of historic and contemporary architecture. I have not been there in nearly fifty years but my memories are pleasant. I had close friends who went to UVa and that was a beautiful campus. I watched a lacrosse championship game there , but lacrosse was still a new sport then! ;)
Bama, I attended Indiana of Penna. At that time it was called Indiana State Teacher's College and was a member of the conference of State Teacher's Colleges in Pa. Indiana's claim to fame was the hardware store owned by Jimmy Stewart's father. Beautiful campus with one coffee shop. Is it still called Allegheny College?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Bama, I attended Indiana of Penna. At that time it was called Indiana State Teacher's College and was a member of the conference of State Teacher's Colleges in Pa. Indiana's claim to fame was the hardware store owned by Jimmy Stewart's father. Beautiful campus with one coffee shop. Is it still called Allegheny College?
Yes it is. I have a high school friend that attended IUP for a few years and then transferred to Yankton,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom