"Fat" female Olympians | The Boneyard

"Fat" female Olympians

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Harumph.

At the 2012 Olympics, a list of top female athletes have hit back at critics who have called them fat including British heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis, Australian swimmer Liesel Jones, and the Brazilian women's soccer team.

"Women athletes will regularly get comments about their appearance although men won't," said [Women's Sports and Fitness Foundation Executive Sue] Tibballs.

"This really adds to the pressure on women athletes, many of whom already have a disordered attitude towards foods because they are in a controlled routine where weight is a key issue."

Tibballs said it was hard to believe that Ennis, poster girl of the London Games with a rippling washboard stomach, was called fat and accused of carrying too much weight by a high-ranking UK athletics official ahead of the Games.

Ennis, 26, won gold for Britain on Saturday.

Fat? We are fit. Get over it, say women athletes

Jessica-Ennis.jpg

Reaction Score
Jessica Ennis, fat? Wow. This young lady has abs that any bodybuilder would be happy with. I wonder how much over 40" is the waistline of this "high ranking official"...Ridiculous...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
On the other hand Mangold at 5-8 357#? Fat or phat? You decide.

slide23504300930.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For contrast, see this article on Michael Phelps that I came across in my morning reading.

In the same interview, Phelps admitted that his weight ballooned after the Beijing Games in 2008:
"I wasn't motivated. I did nothing, literally nothing, for a long time. I gained 25 pounds. A friend of mine and I were playing football on the beach in Miami, and somebody got a picture of us and put it all over the place. And he's like, 'Bro, you gotta start working out, man. You are fat.'"

While it may be hard to picture an out-of-shape Phelps, it's much easier to understand where he's coming from. He's spent most of his adult life undergoing a rigorous training regimen designed to maximize his potential. Because of that, he's the winningest Olympic champion of all time, with 14 gold medals total and a record-breaking eight in Beijing.

Sue him if he wanted a few extra bites to eat.

And from the same article...

Phelps isn't the first Olympian to have struggled with weight gain, either. Popular American gymnast Shawn Johnson dealt with body-image issues after her four-medal performance in Beijing, admitting that she gained 25 pounds and was hurt by the ensuing publicity about it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ennis looks absolutely fabulous. Most of the athletes in all the sports looks absolutely fabulous. Can't say I like the build of either the men or women involved in some of the brute force disciplines like weightlifting or the discus/shot put, but those are sports where muscle and mass are a premium. I will say that I was a little surprised watching some of the water polo that the 2 meter players were as large as they are and I do not remember that from previous times I have watched the sport, but tactics seem to have changed a bit, and watching the play and the physicality it all made sense.
I think both male and female athletes are rated on looks, and the more handsome/beautiful they are the better their marketing possibilities - but to criticize any of these WORLD CLASS athletes for body type is really stupid and insulting.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So, is Shane Hamman fat, too?

viewpic.php
Yea I'd say he's fat. On the BMI scale I'd say they are not just fat but obese.

Granted I wouldn't say it to their face. :rolleyes:

I'm fat too, not obese anymore since I lost 25 lbs since surgery, but still overweight.

If they are happy with themselves and comfortable in their skin, that's fine. But they are still imo, fat.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, he is but weight is an important asset in certain events whether heavy or light. Weight lifters in heavy weight classes gain stability in their weight but must still be tremendously strong. Same applies up and down to sports shaped by weight classes. Sprinters and runners can add muscle weight in certain areas but generally, do not want to be carrying extra weight that does not increase speed because it represents more work to overcome.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes, he is but weight is an important asset in certain events whether heavy or light. Weight lifters in heavy weight classes gain stability in their weight but must still be tremendously strong. Same applies up and down to sports shaped by weight classes. Sprinters and runners can add muscle weight in certain areas but generally, do not want to be carrying extra weight that does not increase speed because it represents more work to overcome.
But specific multi-discipline events like Ennis participates in require a balancing of speed, endurance, and strength. In those events you do see probably the widest divergence in body types among athletes participating in a single event (excluding team events.)

Reaction Score
Harumph.

At the 2012 Olympics, a list of top female athletes have hit back at critics who have called them fat including British heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis, Australian swimmer Liesel Jones, and the Brazilian women's soccer team.

"Women athletes will regularly get comments about their appearance although men won't," said [Women's Sports and Fitness Foundation Executive Sue] Tibballs.

"This really adds to the pressure on women athletes, many of whom already have a disordered attitude towards foods because they are in a controlled routine where weight is a key issue."

Tibballs said it was hard to believe that Ennis, poster girl of the London Games with a rippling washboard stomach, was called fat and accused of carrying too much weight by a high-ranking UK athletics official ahead of the Games.

Jessica-Ennis.jpg

I'd suggest banging the high-ranking UK official's head off Ms. Ennis' abs a few times, but he'd probably enjoy it too much...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But specific multi-discipline events like Ennis participates in require a balancing of speed, endurance, and strength. In those events you do see probably the widest divergence in body types among athletes participating in a single event (excluding team events.)
Absolutely, and that is really my point. Different events require different approaches to weight and fitness for competition. Multi-discipline events are the toughest of all.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Absolutely, and that is really my point. Different events require different approaches to weight and fitness for competition. Multi-discipline events are the toughest of all.
Sorry - probably phrased my answer poorly - was certainly not disagreeing with you at all - meant it to be additional to you comments, not contradictory.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Anyone who calls Ennis 'fat' needs to have their head examined, or perhaps lobotomized.

She is one of the most gorgeous athletes at the games, with an almost perfect athletic body.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Harumph.

Jessica-Ennis.jpg

Completely and utterly baffled by Ennis. She's the poster child for the UK because she's gorgeous. Liesel Jones actually is a bit plump. If she's an Olympic-caliber swimmer, however, I don't see that it matters. I don't really follow Olympic soccer so I can't speak to the Brazilian team, but again, if you can play soccer at an Olympic level, what right does anyone have to criticise your body?

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Slightly different take on the genesis of the furor.

Not apologetic for the impact, but the timeline is of interest, especially considering the stories in the tabloids mostly first appeared in May.

Reaction Score
Anyone who calls Ennis 'fat' needs to have their head examined, or perhaps lobotomized.

She is one of the most gorgeous athletes at the games, with an almost perfect athletic body.

I agree VAM, but don't overlook the possibility that he's already had the transorbital lobotomy...it's de rigeur for most government officials, especially the high-ranking variety.

The UK Ministry that failed to qualify that statement needs to spend some time with parents that have lost children to anorexia nervosa/bulimia...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jessica Ennis is an absolute female stud. She is extremely impressive and carried the hopes of her nation much like Kathy Freeman did in 2000, despite immense pressure. Additionally, she comes across as very humble.

Not sure if you guys heard this--she had a serious foot/ankle injury years ago, so she had to learn to do the long jump takeoff with the other foot.

Fat? Ridiculous! Impressive? Absolutely!

Reaction Score
If I were as "fat" as these athletes, I would be one happy woman. I don't see an ounce of fat on any of these elite athletes. Heck, they hardly even have breasts. But then I guess that would make running and jumping rather uncomfortable and probably create excessive drag in the water. Probably another reason I would have never made it to the Olympics. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom