far flung cr scenario | The Boneyard

far flung cr scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
when do schools like harvard and yale look at what stanford is doing and say hey want a piece?
what would happen if the ivy's decided to move up and get back into the port they basically built 100 years ago.

could they do it? some like harvard and yale have the resources. not sure about Dartmouth.

what would the response be from the power schools? would they reject these schools?
would they need to add schools and is that a possibility for uconn?

not likely, but i wonder how long harvard and yale stay on the sidelines while stanford proves top academics can compete in big-time football. might not be as much about the money as it is the branding, publicity, and overall image.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
When you talk about money, branding, publicity, etc- the Ivies already have that in spades. I'm skeptical that they would get a positive return on investment if they were to invest the necessary resources in to football. There doesn't seem to be much benefit in it for them.

Reaction Score
The Ivies are a little like France.

France, under Napoleon, was the 800 pound gorilla of europe, conqueror of Egypt, and French North Africa.

France's empire once ranged from the Carribean to the Pacific to Asia.

The world has moved on and neither the Ivies nor France will return to that prominence.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The Ivies are a little like France.

France, under Napoleon, was the 800 pound gorilla of europe, conqueror of Egypt, and French North Africa.

France's empire once ranged from the Carribean to the Pacific to Asia.

The world has moved on and neither the Ivies nor France will return to that prominence.

Um, the Ivies are nothing like France. If the Ivies were the 800 pounds gorilla, then they are now 1,000 pound guerillas. Look no further than endowments, government and business and you will find nothing but Ivies.

Reaction Score
As long as the boardrooms of Fortune 500 companies and Capitol Hill are dominated by Ivy League alumni, they have nothing to fear.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Um, the Ivies are nothing like France. If the Ivies were the 800 pounds gorilla, then they are now 1,000 pound guerillas. Look no further than endowments, government and business and you will find nothing but Ivies.
The last 4 presidents of the US
Yale
Yale
Yale
Harvard
I know the presidency is not as big as a BCS bowl to some.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the athletic world has moved far, far away from the Ivy League schools.

I guess the model would be Stanford, but man, what Stanford does is so much harder than it looks.

I just don't think it can be done from scratch. Although it'd be easier to turn Yale athletics into Florida State than it would be to turn Florida State academics into Yale, I think both have the same chance of success as I would have trying to building my own space station.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think the athletic world has moved far, far away from the Ivy League schools.

I guess the model would be Stanford, but man, what Stanford does is so much harder than it looks.

I just don't think it can be done from scratch. Although it'd be easier to turn Yale athletics into Florida State than it would be to turn Florida State academics into Yale, I think both have the same chance of success as I would have trying to building my own space station.

This^^^^. The Ivies have found they don't need athletics save for contests amongst themselves. If Stanford were in the northeast, they would be more likely to drop D1 FB to join rather than the other way around.

Reaction Score
Harvard and Yale have combined endowments of over $40 BILLION and growing. I think they would be more likely to cancel sports vs chasing BCS money and glory.

Reaction Score

LOL...Look at the Top 25 and the Ivies will be far, far from there.

We are on a sports board and I was discussing in context.....(The President's Board is down the hall next to the Surfer's Hall of Fame). The Ivies once were at the heart of college football with Princeton claiming more MNC's than almost any team today....

The Ivies are exactly like France in the terms of my analogy....Once powerful in football...now, left behind as an aging memory.

Reaction Score
Talking football prominence and the Ivies.....

The Ivies and football are like an aging spinster looking through an old scrapbook and coming upon a dessicated ancient corsage. Holding up the fragile faded blossom, the spinster can remember the prom where she was so young and life had so much promise. With a whistful sigh, she turns the page, while the memories of once was, leave an unsettled feeling.

Reaction Score
when do schools like harvard and yale look at what stanford is doing and say hey want a piece?
what would happen if the ivy's decided to move up and get back into the port they basically built 100 years ago.

could they do it? some like harvard and yale have the resources. not sure about Dartmouth.

what would the response be from the power schools? would they reject these schools?
would they need to add schools and is that a possibility for uconn?

not likely, but i wonder how long harvard and yale stay on the sidelines while stanford proves top academics can compete in big-time football. might not be as much about the money as it is the branding, publicity, and overall image.

It could be done if Yale and Harvard really wanted to do it, but we as UCONN fans/alum do not want this to happen because it would mean watching Yale and Harvard join the B1G. Although I guess "The Boneyard" could start a Bulldog forum. I would like to see their version of the Cesspool.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The last 4 presidents of the US
Yale
Yale
Yale
Harvard

Only 4 Colleges can brag about having both a President and a Super Bowl MVP QB. Can you name them without google?

Reaction Score
Only 4 Colleges can brag about having both a President and a Super Bowl MVP QB. Can you name them without google?

You need new material...;) Navy, Michigan, Stanford and Miami-Ohio.

Reaction Score
Right on my friend.
Miami of Ohio---Ben Roethlesberger and Benjamin Harrison.
Navy--Roger Staubach and Jimmy Carter
Michigan--Tom Brady and Gerald Ford
Stanford--John Elway/Jim Plunkett and Herbert Hoover

Reaction Score
Right on my friend.
Miami of Ohio---Ben Roethlesberger and Benjamin Harrison.
Navy--Roger Staubach and Jimmy Carter
Michigan--Tom Brady and Gerald Ford
Stanford--John Elway/Jim Plunkett and Herbert Hoover

AS a Raiders fan, I must insist you never place that name ahead of Jim Plunkett's.

Reaction Score
Only one college can say that they have A Superbowl MVP, and more importantly (forget Presidents), Pee Wee Herman & Burt Reynolds as alumni.

Reaction Score
About the same length of time that Jim Morrison was at FSU....

Reaction Score
HUH? After researching the Paul Rubens story...

"
And I wish to register a brief complaint.

My Alma Mater, Florida State University/Asolo Conservatory for Acting Training is listed.

It's actually fine that the institution that awarded my degree should be be mentioned in the company of Yale, RADA, Guildhall, and Tisch. It's just a silly list after all.

But then there's what was said:
FLORIDA STATE | Sarasota, Fla.
Why go to Sarasota to study theater? All 12 of the Florida State University/Asolo Conservatory MFA candidates get a full tuition waiver from Florida State University, an assistantship to defray living expenses, a year's study in London, experience at the Asolo Theater and Equity actor's union eligibility.
  • Notable Alumni: Paul Reubens
Two factual errors exist with the approximately forty words of this blurb. First, the London program lasts for six weeks over the summer time not for a year. And secondly, the only notable alumnus (singular) is Paul Reubens.

I would love for FSU to become an elite program. I don't see that happening at the moment.
And as long as Paul Reubens continues to be our most famous alum, I don't like our chances.

Reaction Score
Lets look at the long game here. Smart people have started to realize playing football is bad for their children, and less and less will be doing so in the coming years. It is the smart people's kids who go to the ivy's. They do lower standards for sports, but there is no way they would ever want to lower them that much.

And I can not see how NESCAC schools will even have football in 30 years.

Reaction Score
The next flood of "bad fors" will be about the brain damage caused by heading the ball in soccer.

Reaction Score
Serious question. Will helmet technology save football? It seems like equipment needs a faster evolution.

My wife pulled my son out of football for fear of injury. I couldn't really argue with her, he was a wide receiver and we saw him get absolutely drilled a few times. I know lots of people that won't let their kids play football and I think its a growing trend.

My boy plays basketball in multiple leagues and is very good. Unfortunately, lots of run leads to injury too. He has already had a concussion from basketball (as did I in high school). Hardwood floors are dangerous too.

Reaction Score
Serious question. Will helmet technology save football? It seems like equipment needs a faster evolution.

My wife pulled my son out of football for fear of injury. I couldn't really argue with her, he was a wide receiver and we saw him get absolutely drilled a few times. I know lots of people that won't let their kids play football and I think its a growing trend.

My boy plays basketball in multiple leagues and is very good. Unfortunately, lots of run leads to injury too. He has already had a concussion from basketball (as did I in high school). Hardwood floors are dangerous too.

The Big Ten and Ivy League have formed a collaboration to address the issue of head injury in athletics.
http://www.cic.net/news-and-publica...en-cic-and-ivy-league-host-head-injury-summit

Reaction Score

If you get a chance, that PBS special on Brain Injuries, and the NFL is worth watching. Touches on the topic of youth football as well. Recently someone suggested that eliminating face masks may be a way of curtailing a defenders willingness to target with his own head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom