Fanta and Donny | The Boneyard

Fanta and Donny

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Did anyone else think they were brutal tonight? Donny might’ve brought up the kids hair and Hurleys sage 14 times, like it was the funniest joke he ever told. Fanta just didn’t contribute much, seemed to lean into whatever Donny was saying, he usually has some insight into the programs he’s covering. Warm up game for them too?

Reaction Score
I think they are a mismatch. One play by play guy should stay on task, bringing up substitutions, foul situations, scoring and other stats, etc in a timely manner. The color guy can joke around and digress if his partner sticks to the nuts and bolts of the game. They both wanted to go for the laughs tonight and it got pretty obnoxious. And I generally LIKE both guys, but Fanta needs to stay in his lane and just call the game. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Reaction Score
Truth be told, I‘m annoyed by most announcers and this pair was muted very early.
I’m WATCHING the game and don’t need every second of action described to me with mindless stupid talk sprinkled in to show me how smart and clever you are. They were pretty bad but so are most.

Reaction Score
Love Donny but they were super annoying. It was great they shut up during time outs!

Reaction Score
Truth be told, I‘m annoyed by most announcers and this pair was muted very early.
I’m WATCHING the game and don’t need every second of action described to me with mindless stupid talk sprinkled in to show me how smart and clever you are. They were pretty bad but so are most.
Totally agree - it fully confounds me that in a country of over 300 million people we can't find outstanding sports announcers. Sigh.

Reaction Score
Donny sounded like he had one too many shots of espresso in his coffee.

Reaction Score
Going back in time, I always liked Wayne Norman and Joey D.

George Ehrlich they are not.

Comparing then to non-UConn broadcasters, Raftery they are not.

And, I always liked Gillen, though a lot on the Board do not.

Still rather have them than Walton.

Reaction Score
As someone who has done color, not on a second tier cable network, but even lower, local college radio, I will say a mismatch is the most difficult game to call. The game stinks so you try too hard to make it interesting. Usually it is awful.
Having said that, Donny is horrible. He is a UConn homer on a national broadcast. Yeah, Donny we know, you once played for Coach Calhoun and you met Danny Hurley when he was a mere strip of a lad…he is insufferable in the best of times, provides zero insight into the game. He’d probably be a fine in-studio host.

Reaction Score
Trying to make something interesting usually does the opposite, am I right?

Reaction Score
The Karaban Caravan! Lol, when that obvious layup classifies as "witty" banter I knew we were in trouble. Dickey Simpkins special.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Did anyone else think they were brutal tonight? Donny might’ve brought up the kids hair and Hurleys sage 14 times, like it was the funniest joke he ever told. Fanta just didn’t contribute much, seemed to lean into whatever Donny was saying, he usually has some insight into the programs he’s covering. Warm up game for them too?

Yes it was cringeworthy. And I like Fanta a lot. Donny, over the years, Im hot and cold with as color guy , but he was horrible last night. Total amateur hour. Big fluffer type stuff that was in direct opposition to what was actually happening in the game at any given moment. Game announcers usually don't rate my attention either way. I can appreciate a well called game and I find humor in a poorly called one. Last night was the first time I felt a bit of disgust. :)

Reaction Score
I love all of our alumni, but I cannot take Donny doing color for UConn games. He inserts himself way too frequently and oftentimes, does not provide meaningful insights. I have wondered on occasion what might have been if Bob Huessler and Jon Stashower remained as the radio team - and perhaps moved over to TV - long after the dream season. Enjoyed Joe D and Wayne together, but I thought those two were a great team.

Reaction Score
Going back in time, I always liked Wayne Norman and Joey D.

George Ehrlich they are not.

Comparing then to non-UConn broadcasters, Raftery they are not.

And, I always liked Gillen, though a lot on the Board do not.

Still rather have them than Walton.
Walton is absoutely the worst.

Reaction Score
They were both audibly giddy for the season to start, so I’ll give both a pass.

I like Donny, but if he cuts out even 10% of his unnecessary comments, it’ll make a world of a difference. Less is more.

Reaction Score
They were both audibly giddy for the season to start, so I’ll give both a pass.

I like Donny, but if he cuts out even 10% of his unnecessary comments, it’ll make a world of a difference. Less is more.
80%

Reaction Score
Walton's the best as long as he's not calling your team or any game that you really care about
Great player, interesting guy. Would probably enjoy hanging out, having a few beers and hearing about his time hanging out with the Grateful Dead.

If he is calling a UConn game I find the radio call. Any other game he is calling I just find another game to watch.

Reaction Score
I think it's really hard to call a game where one of the teams is so bad. The announcers will never have the same energy as in a close game between evenly matched teams.
agreed. i was also wondering if they weren't taking the commentary as seriously because the majority of viewers were probably watching the whip-around coverage as opposed to the full game. i typically like fanta's pbp and (as opposed to the majority of yarders) don't mind donny's color commentary, but agree that they were pretty annoying last night.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought Donny and Fanta did fine, especially considering how mismatched the teams were. UConn was missing 2 of its 3 best players, and it still walloped Stonehill. There is not much any announcing team can do with a game like that.

Reaction Score
So are they mandated to talk 100% of the time?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom