Fans at games? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fans at games?

Reaction Score
The options UConn is offering are pretty standard for the entertainment industry. Not sure what the fuss is about. We have tix to a few cultural organizations and they offered almost exactly what UConn is offering. They hope you will let them at least keep your donation since it was a donation after all. They figure they can get corporate and well heeled buyers to donate the ticket price as well because it isn’t that big a deal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They figure they can get corporate and well heeled buyers to donate the ticket price as well because it isn’t that big a deal.
They just have to not be all UConny and mess with people. Hartford Athletic brought in a focus group to get input. One of the group ideas was "You don't have an option for you to just keep the money." So they created one adding a few perks. UConn can do this, create a limited "Husky" t-shirt for those who agree. Don't threaten losing your "forever" seat after one freakin' year because you don't pony up for nothing.

Reaction Score
The options for the Big East need to be either all schools can have fans or no one can. It doesn't matter that schools fall in different jurisdictions...we're all in the same league, so to me it's all or nothing. It would piss me off if our guys can't have fans in attendance but we're trucking out to Creighton for a full house of fans (and putting our players at risk at the same time). That to me is not acceptable on any level. Hopefully the athletic department will get this right and I'm assuming they will.

Reaction Score
I do not live in the northeast anymore and am admittedly a little out of touch with their handling of COVID. But I'm assuming indoor dining is open, right? If that's the case, what is the difference between having fans in the stands (25% capacity or around there) with proper spacing in order to coincide with social distancing guidelines, and allowing indoor dining?

Reaction Score
That hypocrite is allowing fans at the rent for a Canadian soccer team. Not even our local teams...
how's that hypocritical? They're at a percentage of total capacity

Reaction Score
kind of an apples and oranges situation because the Rent is an outside venue.
But is it? Does it really make a difference if it’s outside or indoors? Why didn’t MLB let some fans in if outdoors didn’t matter during the regular season?

Reaction Score
Then why don't/didn't the Giants, Jets, Pats, Yankees, Mets, Red Sox have some fans in the stands?
are you arguing that there's no difference between indoor and outdoor?

Reaction Score
Reading the state D1 landscape the last few days...

Quinnipiac Basketball/Hockey: “Only essential personnel will be allowed at all home athletic events. No fans, spectators, or families will be allowed to attend.The athletic department will continue to work with university leadership, public health experts, and government officials to continually evaluate safety conditions and whether spectators may be allowed at a later date.”

Sacred Heart Basketball/Hockey: “In an effort to provide as safe a competitive environment as possible for both athletes and fans, the athletics department has announced that fans will not be permitted at home games until further notice. The announcement applies to all spectators, including the families of student-athletes, coaches and staff, with the exception of essential personnel, at the William H. Pitt Center on campus as well as any off-campus competition locations. Sacred Heart will consult with University leadership, public health experts and the local government to monitor the situation and reevaluate the decision in the future.”

Reaction Score
My rep called today and there are 3 options:
1) This is the option they’re pushing the hardest. Essentially you “donate” your full seat donation and ticket cost to the Athletic Dept. in exchange you get double the points for this season, you get tickets to an away game next year (not clear on the details) and you get priority for this year if there are fans in attendance you can go for “free” (even though you paid for your tickets)
2) Donate half your seat donation and half of your ticket cost to the Athletic Dept. They then give you 2nd priority for seating this year if there are fans at games, but you have to pay for the tickets. The remaining balance that isn’t donated will be rolled into 2021 tickets as a credit.
3) Donate half of your seat donation and get a full refund for the cost of your tickets. You will still have the ability to keep your same seats for next year.

That may not be all the specifics, but this is what the rep told me, so don’t shoot the messenger. All the details will be coming out in an email in early November.

Just had the call with my rep today and the same thing was communicated plus a fourth option that they will give you a full refund, just lose priority on your seats.

Some other interesting info I gathered:
  • They estimated it is going to cost $1.5 million in COVID testing to make this season happen (I do not know if that is just MBB or WBB, too)
  • They ran two seating models by the government (15% & 20% capacity). The state visited last week and it sounded like it was a positive walkthrough. They will have an answer from Hartford prior to start of season, which model they choose. Sounded optimistic there will be fans from the outset.
  • For that option 1 mentioned above, you also get priority tickets to the Big East tournament this year and next year (usually reserved for folks that donate over $1,000)
  • Sounds like because games start once students go on break, that they will not have student seating until students return to campus in January, but will have seating from that point forward
  • Communication by email to season ticket holders to select an option is going out next week

Reaction Score
Just had the call with my rep today and the same thing was communicated plus a fourth option that they will give you a full refund, just lose priority on your seats.

Some other interesting info I gathered:
  • They estimated it is going to cost $1.5 million in COVID testing to make this season happen (I do not know if that is just MBB or WBB, too)
  • They ran two seating models by the government (15% & 20% capacity). The state visited last week and it sounded like it was a positive walkthrough. They will have an answer from Hartford prior to start of season, which model they choose. Sounded optimistic there will be fans from the outset.
  • For that option 1 mentioned above, you also get priority tickets to the Big East tournament this year and next year (usually reserved for folks that donate over $1,000)
  • Sounds like because games start once students go on break, that they will not have student seating until students return to campus in January, but will have seating from that point forward
  • Communication by email to season ticket holders to select an option is going out next week
Fingers crossed. We need some fans at these games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom