Fans at games? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fans at games?

Reaction Score
With the XL package how does UConn get off with demanding anything considering they're not even providing the product people paid for? And are they forever seats or not? Sounds like it's kinda-sorta forever but read the small print.

Reaction Score
No. You get a full refund, donate half the seat donation, and keep your same seats for next year.
to clarify - if you are given the option to and choose to receive a full refund of both the seat donation and the ticket cost, you'll lose the right to retain your seat location for next year.

Reaction Score
in the FAQ for basketball tickets:

Special Accommodations – Holding My Seat Location
As a reminder, with the scholarship seating program introduced last year, your seat location is available for renewal each year (and not subject to an annual reseating process). The following section pertains to an accommodation available to hold your seat location, if you don’t feel that you can attend games this coming season.
If I don’t feel comfortable attending games during the upcoming 2020-21 season, may I do anything to hold my season ticket location until the 2021-22 season?

How will this process work?

What are the details of this contribution?

For men’s basketball, 50% of your total seat donation cost (per venue) will serve as the contribution to hold your seats. For women’s basketball, a one-time $100 contribution will be required. As with any UConn Athletics contribution, this will be utilized to support our student-athletes.

Reaction Score
to clarify - if you are given the option to and choose to receive a full refund of both the seat donation and the ticket cost, you'll lose the right to retain your seat location for next year.

I wonder what percentage of season ticket holders from last year actually bought tickets this year?I had no intention of going to games with no vaccine. I just bought my seats thinking it was the safest way to have them for next year and figured I’d get a refund anyway.

So what happens if say 50% of season ticket holders last year didn’t try buying tickets this year. They now all lose their “forever” seats because of COVID? I would think that would piss off enough people that they wouldn’t want to do it. My bet is even those people who bought last year and not this year will still be given the option to buy their seats next season. If not, the Athletic Dept is going to have a lot of angry people at their door. Maybe they’ll send me a bumper sticker for the car for all the seat donation $$ I’ve generously offered to “gift” them.

Reaction Score
I’m ok with the athletic dept keeping all my donation money. That’s part of the season ticket process. It’s my season ticket money I may have an issue with. I agree with the comment from an earlier yarder mentioning having us “donate” for a service that is not provided. I’m not ok with that

C

Chief00

Has anyone seen the policy in writing yet??? I'm waiting to SEE it for my own eyes...Think that options laid out above are amazingly aggressive and antagonistic when it should be neither BUT i'll wait to see it with my own eyes
I agree, given that it’s suppose to be a public health crisis, UConn is inconsistent with how other businesses have treated the disease fallout. For instance hotels and airlines have demonstrated flexibility beyond their usual policies.
UConn is exposing themselves to unknown legal risk by punishing someone for not paying and attending games that may not even be offered. . The policies enforced should not run counter to public health interests. It’s beyond aggressive, especially since it’s a state run institution and is contrary to the spirit and wording of various state polices and mandates.
Does anyone know how NFL teams are handling?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The demand for tix this year was up dramatically which will undoubtedly persist with an increasingly talented team in a post-Covid '21-'22 season. While I and many will be ok donating to support the program, the AD must recognize others will not be for varied reasons. The goodwill they'd gather with an optional donation and no loss of seat assignment should outweigh the short term financial hit.

That said, the proposed policy of no seat donation = loss of seat location would likely free up better seats for the selection process next year.

C

Chief00

That’s an excellent point about the XL. Are they charging us 50% seat donation or lose the seat for games they have cancelled at that location?

Reaction Score
That’s an excellent point about the XL. Are they charging us 50% seat donation or lose the seat for games they have cancelled at that location?

that is the as yet unconfirmed but rumored proposal. maybe the BY feedback will motivate a change

Reaction Score
I was hoping for the "UConn keeps all ticket and donation funds and we pick up where we left off when basketball resumes" option; ie. I dont owe anything for 2021-22.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’m ok with the athletic dept keeping all my donation money. That’s part of the season ticket process. It’s my season ticket money I may have an issue with. I agree with the comment from an earlier yarder mentioning having us “donate” for a service that is not provided. I’m not ok with that
I agree. I have no issue with using the seat donation to keep the seats. But I want my ticket money back.

Reaction Score
I agree. I have no issue with using the seat donation to keep the seats. But I want my ticket money back.
Im 99% sure they will give you the ticket money if you let them keep at least 50% of the seat donation.

Reaction Score
Im 99% sure they will give you the ticket money if you let them keep at least 50% of the seat donation.

If the rumored alternatives are accurate, you will be able to get your ticket $ even if you keep the entire donation but you will lose your seat location.

C

Chief00

The problem is that they have a guaranteed failed business model for downturns or pandemics. Other than a few contractors who took the sword, the rest of their employees are guaranteed no layoffs or lost of benefits. Hence, they have to come up with illogical rationale to gorge their customers, who are mostly not guaranteed anything in this pandemic economy themselves, to support this crazy fixed cost structure.

Reaction Score
The problem is that they have a guaranteed failed business model for downturns or pandemics.

not unlike most college athletic depts. or much of the entertainment industry admittedly with less flexibility than many

C

Chief00

not unlike most college athletic depts. or much of the entertainment industry admittedly with less flexibility than many
Other athletic departments don’t have the CT union contract guarantees and were laying off people - that blowback was one of the reasons - there was pressure to reconsider football along with TV contracts on the revenue side. .

Reaction Score
I have been fully prepared to tell UConn to keep my entire seat donation, including the additional donation I made when I renewed my tickets given where it seemed this was all headed financially for the athletic dept.

To aggressively push to take the entire ticket money by dangling carrots they cannot promise when they can’t possibly supply what I agreed to as a Hartford season-ticket holder sounds like a very good way to ensure little goodwill going forward.

Possible attendance to an undetermined game if fans are allowed at some point in a venue people need to know well in advance around work schedules? Increased points when we are very happy with forever seats that we kept our seasons to ensure we would have? Tickets to a future away game? You could fly to Milwaukee or Cincy, get a hotel for the weekend and get floor seats on StubHub at Xavier or Marquette for less than the season-ticket money.

Two factors UConn doesn’t seem to be considering:

When they surveyed season-ticket holders about options in April, what this would all look like in the winter was an entirely different question and responses were based upon expecting a far better attendance outlook by college hoops season. It’s even quite different in CT than when they sent the second survey a month or so ago.

And just keeping season tickets for UConn basketball the past 4-5 years has been a financial donation of goodwill to UConn. How many games have we all spent $35-$50 bucks per ticket on plus a donation that were going for next to nothing on StubHub or UConn ended up essentially giving away to get some fans in the building?

The return to the Big East and ensuring our seats was supposed to be the payoff for sticking through that; it’s a helluva time to ask if we can just float the athletic department an extra grand or two no matter what their financial situation is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been fully prepared to tell UConn to keep my entire seat donation, including the additional donation I made when I renewed my tickets given where it seemed this was all headed financially for the athletic dept.

To aggressively push to take the entire ticket money by dangling carrots they cannot promise when they can’t possibly supply what I agreed to as a Hartford season-ticket holder sounds like a very good way to ensure minimum donations and zero goodwill going forward.

Possible attendance to an undetermined game if fans are allowed at some point in a venue I need to know well in advance around work schedules? Increased points when I am very happy with my forever seats that I have kept seasons to ensure I would have? Tickets to a future away game? You could fly to Milwaukee or Cincy, get a hotel for the weekend and get floor seats on StubHub at Xavier or Marquette for the price of the season-ticket money.

Two factors UConn doesn’t seem to be considering:

When they surveyed season-ticket holders about options in April, what this would all look like in the winter was an entirely different question and responses were based upon expecting a far better attendance outlook by college hoops season. It’s even quite different in CT than when they sent the second survey a month or so ago.

And just keeping season tickets for UConn basketball the past 4-5 years has been a financial donation of goodwill to UConn. How many games have we all spent $35-$50 bucks per ticket on plus a donation that were going for next to nothing on StubHub or UConn ended up essentially giving away to get some fans in the building?

The return to the Big East and ensuring our seats was supposed to be the payoff for sticking through that; it’s a helluva time to ask if we can just float the athletic department an extra grand or two no matter what their financial situation is.

Yeah,this isn’t so different than some of the large employers and how they’re treating their employees. At my job we have taken a 10% paycut, no raises or promotions for last year or this next year coming up. Now they’ve laid off about 20% of our staff and have asked the remaining staff to pick up the slack and work even more hours (unpaid). A lot of people are now working 20-25% more, getting paid 10% less and in an environment where all the managers are still at home but the people doing the work are in working every day. Pretty bad work environment to say the least. The best part is they used to supply basics like coffee, but since the pandemic and there being no high level people around there has been no coffee for months. All this so the multi-billion dollar company can keep growing their profits year over year. My wife works at a small company and gets treated 100X better. The pandemic has certainly helped show the true colors of many of these businesses.

Reaction Score
Have not received a call or an email. Perhaps they are using those first calls as a gauge to tweak the offers?

Reaction Score
Have not received a call or an email. Perhaps they are using those first calls as a gauge to tweak the offers?
They are definitely making changes as they go. Some people posted in here with different info then I heard the first day they called people.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This isn't rocket science. Ticket holders already have a sense of what they think is fair and want to support the program. Don't play your fanbase for fools and don't get cutesy.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Here's what my rep told me. Each option below allows you to keep your seat renewal rights for 21-22.

Option 1 - Convert your ticket purchase to a donation. Receive double points. Attend games at Gampel. Go to a road game next year. First priority on postseason tix this year and next year. I believe also commit to 100% of your seat donation.

Option 2 - commit to 50% or 100% of seat donation. Let them hold your ticket purchase $$ and apply it to next season.

Option 3 - commit to 50% or 100% of seat donation. Get your ticket purchase refunded.

The need they are addressing is 1.5 million for testing everybody 3 times a week.

An email describing the choices is expected to be released on Nov. 6th.

Reaction Score
I’m good with letting them keep what I’ve paid. Glad to help Support the program, players and coaches to uphold the standard uconn Basketball needs to be at. I’m sure the program will be short this year eithher way

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom