fans a bit tough on Anna | The Boneyard

fans a bit tough on Anna

Reaction Score
I think because of her playing experience in Poland, people forget that Anna is still a 19-year old freshman. And she's living and playing in a foreign country. I think she's a gutsy young woman, and dealing with a lot more than frosh from this country. Might be a good thing if fans would calm down, and give her time. If Geno hasn't said some of this already, he should.

Reaction Score
Many on the Boneyard get so wound up about incoming players and their abilities that it is almost impossible for these kids to meet some folks' expectations. Then they jump on them when they don't. Makes me shake my head sometimes.

I'm sure that there will be those that give Paige a bad time if she has a bad day, just like they did Stewie.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Which fans are being tough on Anna? For the most part, BY’ers have been incredibly supportive through both her early shooting struggles and now as she has settled in and gained confidence.

Reaction Score
Which fans are being tough in Anna? For the most part, BY’ers have been incredibly supportive through both her early shooting struggles and now as she has settled in and gained confidence.

Agree wholeheartly. She has been as good or better than most of the top twenty 2019. Geno got two outstanding frosh! Only 8 games into the season!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Of course the hilarious '0 for America' comment didn't help. I laughed when I heard it. I trust their relationship is such that she did not let it affect her.
It was clearly meant to ease the tension. Geno was very explicit that she is too hard on herself and needs to relax. Now she clearly feels much more comfortable.

Reaction Score
I think because of her playing experience in Poland, people forget that Anna is still a 19-year old freshman. And she's living and playing in a foreign country. I think she's a gutsy young woman, and dealing with a lot more than frosh from this country. Might be a good thing if fans would calm down, and give her time. If Geno hasn't said some of this already, he should.

Agree 100%

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Which fans are being tough on Anna? For the most part, BY’ers have been incredibly supportive through both her early shooting struggles and now as she has settled in and gained confidence.
I think most fans have been willing to give Ania the credit she deserves for all the good work she has done, Assists, rebounds, seeing the floor well. But yesterday one "fan" wrote that she was not good enough and would never start after this year. To me there is a lot of basketball yet to be played this year, and it is too early to relegate her to the bench. We all need to be realistically positive about these kids, and they are kids. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I love both Anna and Aubrey. They will be a great player in UConn's 4 years.

1575994198034.png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have to disagree slightly with the OP. I don't think UCONN fans on the BY have been hard on Anna (or Aubrey) at all. There have been NUMEROUS posts celebrating both players. Aubrey has some of the best athleticism of any college player, perhaps ever. She's a thinner version of Diamond Deshields (without the distance shooting... yet). Anna has some of the best passing, spacing, and instincts of any freshman we've ever seen at UCONN.

Anna leads the team in assists per game (yes she's #1), and her total TO's (7) are far less than Megan, Christyn or even Crystal. She gets the same minutes as Kyla, but nabs more rebounds, and is only 1 rebound per game behind Christyn. Also she has 8 steals - not bad for a "slow of foot player" considering Aubrey has 13 so far.

But overall, I think an overwhelming majority of UCONN fans have been positive about her and her contributions. It's nothing like what Megan went thru, both from her coach and on this board. I sure hope Anna feels the love. I recall the game where she hit her 1st 3 of the season - UCONN fans are knowledgeable and they erupted with thunderous applause. It made Anna smile big time. I think she does feel the love of the fans...

Reaction Score
She is doing great for a newbie and settling in nicely into our very diverse and intersting team.

"our very diverse and interesting team"? Really? When has a UConn women's team ever been described as "diverse and interesting'? I agree with you, but I had to laugh at how the times they are a'changin'.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i've seen repeated criticism of anna as being too slow and too often getting blown by on defense. i'm baffled by this cause i don't see these terrible and awful flaws that some BYers repeatedly bring up. i agree with the positive commentary that has appeared in this thread, yet i'm shocked that you've overlooked all the negative comments that have been repeatedly applied to her

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
i've seen repeated criticism of anna as being too slow and too often getting blown by on defense. i'm baffled by this cause i don't see these terrible and awful flaws that some BYers repeatedly bring up. i agree with the positive commentary that has appeared in this thread, yet i'm shocked that you've overlooked all the negative comments that have been repeatedly applied to her
I'm a little shocked that you've overlooked all the positive comments that have been repeatedly applied to her. Oh, and by the way, one of the people who has been after Anna to get faster running the court is Geno, who specifically indicated that Anna needs to improve her stride getting up and down the court.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She is slow. So is Kyla. So is any bigger player who lacks foot speed and lateral quickness. Pointing out where she's deficient IMHO is not being "terrible or awful". There are many more positive and glowing comments about her.

It would be one thing if people were like "she sucks. Should never have been given a scholly. Why did Geno waste any time on her". It's pretty much been the opposite, except for fans noticing what Geno has seen - she needs to work on fitness and getting quicker...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Must be a very few impatient critics I think most have been supportive and understand she’s in a learning phase. She clearly has excellent court vision and IQ. Her stroke is coming along.

Reaction Score
Of course the hilarious '0 for America' comment didn't help. I laughed when I heard it. I trust their relationship is such that she did not let it affect her.
Seems like her shooting has greatly improved since them. Classic Geno comment that will live on for years.

Reaction Score
An hilarious statement that will last forever... hahaha ..... now part of UConn lore..

Reaction Score
I echo this. I was totally unaware of any fan criticism, beyond the normal for any player. Molly had Ania home for thanksgiving and said she is a delight to spend time with. Funny, eager, helpful and supportive. On the court she is hustling all the time and her offense is coming. I do believe that she has the potential to lose a few pounds and become a bit more muscular ( though she is certainly strong and fit now ), much like Megan Walker did between freshman and sophomore year. In any case, I believe the UCONN staff deserves great credit for locating her and bringing her to Storrs. What is happening now is that Kyla and Molly have stepped up and given both Ania and Aubrey time to develop more naturally, as freshmen. That is going to benefit the team. This team is going to be a really tough out, come March. As they are now, in fact.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Must be a very few impatient critics I think most have been supportive and understand she’s in a learning phase. She clearly has excellent court vision and IQ. Her stroke is coming along.
yes, the impatient critics who come back over and over to offer an unjust assessment of anna as too slow and hideous defensively. ... obviously, most BYers recognize she's a terrific player who's only going to get better. and she has strengths and areas that can be improved, like all other players. ... she's not as quick and mobile as Moriah or Ketia but neither are D or Maya -- or Kia, and she seemed to be an adequate defensive player. ... Mel certainly wasn't speedy nor a defensive stopper -- ever (and as freshman, was a dud from the three) ... i don't remember any persistent criticism of them as too slow or unable to handle defense.
it's OK to point out places that anna can improve, defense and swiftness among them, though that can be said of others too. i feel that some posters seem to be fixated on anna's 'slowness' and defensive 'flaws' which i don't see as out of the ordinary and not deserving such criticism. i though this comment was relevant to the OP.

-

Reaction Score
Is Makurat slower than Maria Conlon?
A direct comparison is not a good question because players run faster today (I think. I could be wrong) than they did 15 yrs ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom