Fall men’s soccer schedule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fall men’s soccer schedule

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Was planning a road trip to Providence but my grand daughter had a full day soccer tournament today
Glad I missed that PC match - PC has had UConn's number recently - on 2nd thought - who hasn't?

Reaction Score
UConn takes a home game with a productive offense tonight for a change, beating Rutgers 4-2. Just the fifth time all season that the UConn offense has scored more than one goal in a game, and the third time this season that they have scored more than two goals in a game.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Good to see Coach Jim McElderry of Rutgers - solid coach with CT roots. Remember him playing at Fairfield in the early 90s. Had a great coaching career at Fordham before Rutgers. One year his Rams team beat both UVA and Duke and if I recall they reached the NCAA final eight.
His Rutgers team is pretty good but were flat against UConn. UConn should have taken the early lead but the goal was called off due to a very questionable linesman call. Good offense for UConn tonight.

Reaction Score
Tonight UConn men's soccer was back to Big East Conference play with a home game against Xavier, which the Huskies lost 2-1. After a nice win against Rutgers earlier in the week, it was more or less a return to normal, as UConn is now 2-5-2 in Big East play.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Welp... we'll always have the Rutgers win. It was fun while it lasted.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
When I saw that @huskymedic replied to this thread, I got excited thinking it would be news about HC RR stepping down. Instead, just salt in the wound. Time for AD DB to move on to his next coaching change.

Reaction Score
Ray Reid has now completed a full season coaching the the UConn men's soccer team in the new soccer facility. Now it would be best if he retire so as to spare UConn the task of having to fire a coach who won a national championship for the school oh so many years ago.

Any ideas for who we would hire?

I got my eyes on the UNH coach. He's 40, won several D2 National titles, and has UN fricken' H as a national seed for the 2nd year in a row.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Any ideas for who we would hire?

I got my eyes on the UNH coach. He's 40, won several D2 National titles, and has UN fricken' H as a national seed for the 2nd year in a row.
I'm afraid of coaches who've won at the D2 level ;)
On a serious note, I'm not even remotely close to having a clue who would be a good hire. Unlike football, I certainly believe we can hire an existing successful D1 coach, like the UNH coach. No need to get too creative.
Hubbard (UNH) has had 10 win seasons in all of his first 6 seasons. This year would be his 7th season. He's got them at #11 according to NCAA.com. I did see he's a Durham NH native, so I wonder if it would be difficult to get him out of his home.
The only other name I saw floated was Stannard at Yale.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
New Hampshire throttles UNC 4-1 to go to the sweet 16. They have lost 1 home game in Marc Hubbards 7 seasons as coach. Paging David Benedict and Tony Rizza.

Georgetown and Providence will play each other in the Sweet 16

I feel like the last few years of Reid were exactly what we saw at the end of Morrone's time. The school holding on to a guy who was successful, assuming he'd get it back and yet he never does. It's time to move on. Probably about 3 years past time.

Reaction Score
I feel like the last few years of Reid were exactly what we saw at the end of Morrone's time. The school holding on to a guy who was successful, assuming he'd get it back and yet he never does. It's time to move on. Probably about 3 years past time.

It's also mirrors the final years of UConn Women's Soccer coach Len Tsantiris. Once you let your program slip, it's rare to get it back. Not sure what we are waiting for to pull the trigger. There are plenty of good young up and coming coaches at mid majors right now who would find UConn's history, new stadium, and Big East affiliation attractive. All that money Rizza gave for the new stadium won't mean anything if we don't make a move to inject life to a program that has clearly stalled under the current regime.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Coach Joe vs Reid - you cant even say their names in the same sentence
Day vs night
Joe Morrone deserved all the time he wanted to hang around

Reaction Score
Coach Joe vs Reid - you cant even say their names in the same sentence
Day vs night
Joe Morrone deserved all the time he wanted to hang around

It was indeed a sad day when Joe Morrone was forced out of the program, even if UConn men's soccer was not on the same level it had been the previous decade when he left the program. The work he put into building the UConn soccer program and building interest in soccer (including youth soccer) in Connecticut was pretty incredible. I recall at the time Morrone was having some pretty big disagreements going on with with his bosses in UConn athletics.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Anyone hearing any rumors? My brother was cryptically told (not at a car wash) he would be getting good news very soon. Both of us immediately thought it would be soccer related, but that's completely a guess. He was given very little info other than that cryptic comment. I figured I'd stick my nose in here and see if anyone was hearing anything.

Reaction Score
Anyone hearing any rumors? My brother was cryptically told (not at a car wash) he would be getting good news very soon. Both of us immediately thought it would be soccer related, but that's completely a guess. He was given very little info other than that cryptic comment. I figured I'd stick my nose in here and see if anyone was hearing anything.

Would have to guess with the NCAA soccer season ending next weekend we may hear something soon after. If not it's safe to say Reid will be back.

Reaction Score
Would have to guess with the NCAA soccer season ending next weekend we may hear something soon after. If not it's safe to say Reid will be back.
It's ok to waste another year? The last 10 years have been wasted. Reid should have been fired in 2011 after another epic failure in the ncaa's.

Reaction Score
It's ok to waste another year? The last 10 years have been wasted. Reid should have been fired in 2011 after another epic failure in the ncaa's.

I doubt too many schools would fire a coach who won a national championship, and then continued to make the NCAA tourney for another 13 straight seasons, even with all the premature exits from those tournaments that grated on fans of the team. Not to mention that UConn men's soccer was among the attendance leaders in the sport all through that time. Still, no question that Ray Reid had plenty of detractors develop among the fan base during that time period due to the epic failures mentioned above.

I hardly consider myself a Ray Reid defender. With the poor track record of UConn men's soccer in recent years, having made the NCAA tourney in just two seasons since 2013, it would seem that the obvious continued decline of the program would certainly call for a coaching change, especially since Reid now finally had a chance to coach the team in the new soccer facility that he spent a lot of time promoting before it finally got built.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I doubt too many schools would fire a coach who won a national championship, and then continued to make the NCAA tourney for another 13 straight seasons, even with all the premature exits from those tournaments that grated on fans of the team. Not to mention that UConn men's soccer was among the attendance leaders in the sport all through that time. Still, no question that Ray Reid had plenty of detractors develop among the fan base during that time period due to the epic failures mentioned above.

I hardly consider myself a Ray Reid defender. With the poor track record of UConn men's soccer in recent years, having made the NCAA tourney in just two seasons since 2013, it would seem that the obvious continued decline of the program would certainly call for a coaching change, especially since Reid now finally had a chance to coach the team in the new soccer facility that he spent a lot of time promoting before it finally got built.
Uconn would probably have been among the leaders in attendance but Reid and Hathaway made sure that they were no. 1 by including 800 or more comp tickets in the 'official attendance' on those cold rainy mid-week games in late Oct/Nov when there were no more than 150-200 people in the stands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom