Fall men’s soccer schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fall men’s soccer schedule

Reaction Score
Pretty fascinating taking a look at the men's soccer national rankings today.

Notable:

1. Georgetown 5. Marshall. 6. New Hampshire 7. Tulsa 9. Loyola Marymount 12. SMU 13. San Diego State 15. St. Louis 17. Bowling Green State 20. Grand Canyon 21. Florida International 22. Providence

Coaching and institutional commitment always trumps facilities. We have the facility (superior to all the schools mentioned above). We need a better coach and better commitment by the athletic department. That's the name of the story in football. Men's soccer. Women's soccer. (too soon to tell in Field Hockey).

Reaction Score
WHUS is carrying tonight's men's soccer game against St. John's. I think it is the first UConn game in any sport the station has carried this fall. Good to have UConn games back on the air on WHUS, that is for sure.

Reaction Score
WHUS is carrying tonight's men's soccer game against St. John's. I think it is the first UConn game in any sport the station has carried this fall. Good to have UConn games back on the air on WHUS, that is for sure.
4746 attended the 1-1 tie. Capacity 5300. Impressive.

Reaction Score
Was at the game. 5,000 for a soccer game on Saturday night in a brand new stadium. And you wonder why I am so tough on these coaches. A coach should be able to sell that and win.

Also is proof the hockey arena should have been 4k-5k. Will sell out easily.

Reaction Score
UConn and Villanova men's soccer game at Morrone Stadium is tied at 0 at the half.

WHUS is carrying the game, that is good to see. The one disappointing thing for me is that John Tuite is not doing the play by play for the game. He isn't doing the video stream of the either.

Reaction Score
UConn and Villanova men's soccer game at Morrone Stadium is tied at 0 at the half.

WHUS is carrying the game, that is good to see. The one disappointing thing for me is that John Tuite is not doing the play by play for the game. He isn't doing the video stream of the either.

Villanova wins 1-0 on a penalty kick in overtime.

Reaction Score
Villanova wins 1-0 on a penalty kick in overtime.

The University of Connecticut men's soccer program has not won a Big East game in spring 2021 or so far this fall

Think about that.

Reaction Score
RR has been generous and loyal to the program but it is time for him to move on. It’s time for new leadership outside of the current program. This is not a time to promote an assistant but go outside and recruit a proven commodity who has a track record. The program and facilities are there for this team to be a national player not struggling to get a big east win.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We should be a dominant Soccer program nationally. Yes. I care about this.
UConn was always spoken about as a top 10 program for decades
Its all about recruiting and the type of player you recruit
I watched GTown last night who is ranked #1 this season in the nation - their coach is Brian Wiese who has had nothing but success since being at Gtown - before that he was AHC at both Notre Dame and Stanford - I remember him as a keeper in the late 80s and early 90s at Dartmouth when UConn played them - he also went to Morrone Soccer school, but I don't remember him there
He recruits players who fit in his system and recruit players with an extremely high level of work ethic on the field. Most of his players can adapt to any field position and they play through the midfield with a tight ball movement scheme that is very hard to defend - he learned this from Bobby Clark at Stanford. There is very little flash on the field.
RR has always recruited for the players with extraordinary individual skills no matter the position and tries to fit these players into the 10 field players - it hasn't resulted in overall success
RR won't be around soon and the AD has to understand the tradition that is UConn mens AND womens soccer. They have to go get someone who has a proven record and is recognizable to not only player but to the HS and Prep school coaches. The 1st person that comes to mind in Dan Donigan. While he may be in his mid 50s he is an alum, a proven coaching commodity and someone who I think will bring interest and a spark to the program - he can bring an up and comer assistant who he will mentor into the HC position down the road.

Reaction Score
UConn was always spoken about as a top 10 program for decades
Its all about recruiting and the type of player you recruit
I watched GTown last night who is ranked #1 this season in the nation - their coach is Brian Wiese who has had nothing but success since being at Gtown - before that he was AHC at both Notre Dame and Stanford - I remember him as a keeper in the late 80s and early 90s at Dartmouth when UConn played them - he also went to Morrone Soccer school, but I don't remember him there
He recruits players who fit in his system and recruit players with an extremely high level of work ethic on the field. Most of his players can adapt to any field position and they play through the midfield with a tight ball movement scheme that is very hard to defend - he learned this from Bobby Clark at Stanford. There is very little flash on the field.
RR has always recruited for the players with extraordinary individual skills no matter the position and tries to fit these players into the 10 field players - it hasn't resulted in overall success
RR won't be around soon and the AD has to understand the tradition that is UConn mens AND womens soccer. They have to go get someone who has a proven record and is recognizable to not only player but to the HS and Prep school coaches. The 1st person that comes to mind in Dan Donigan. While he may be in his mid 50s he is an alum, a proven coaching commodity and someone who I think will bring interest and a spark to the program - he can bring an up and comer assistant who he will mentor into the HC position down the road.

Chris Gbandi, one of my all-time favorite UConn players is the head coach at Northeastern. Great college and pro experience, although his coaching record is not that great.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Chris Gbandi, one of my all-time favorite UConn players is the head coach at Northeastern. Great college and pro experience, although his coaching record is not that great.
Maybe Donigan as HC and CGbandi as AHC and coach in waiting

Reaction Score
The men's soccer home game against Marquette is once again being carried by WHUS. That is definitely a good thing to me. However, once again John Tuite is not doing the broadcast. In the past, I always looked forward to the fall season so I could get my dose of Tuite soccer play by play. Can't win them all, but at least I can listen to the game.

Reaction Score
The men's soccer home game against Marquette is once again being carried by WHUS. That is definitely a good thing to me. However, once again John Tuite is not doing the broadcast. In the past, I always looked forward to the fall season so I could get my dose of Tuite soccer play by play. Can't win them all, but at least I can listen to the game.

UConn men's soccer picks up a 2-1 win over Marquette. The Huskies now have a 1-3-1 record in Big East play this season. Their first conference win (it had to happen sometime) moves them up to 8th place in the Big East standings.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Without Tuite it isn't UConn soccer on WHUS
Is he collecting social security and a pension???;)

Reaction Score
It’s rare when you get video evidence of some of the maddening things you see going to these games and the clear drop off in just doing small things that help you win games.

But here it is. Ray Reid teams in the wild. Less than a minute away from a win. And his defenders playing patty cake with the ball with 5 creighton players pressing. One has the ball taken from him like taking candy from a baby. Leaving the UConn goalie defenseless from the inevitable.

think about how hard it is to score a goal in soccer (especially when losing as all you need to do is clear it away from danger and not do anything stupid) and than look how easy UConn made it to cough up a lead less than 60 seconds away from a win.

ironic how similar the endings where between Friday’s ice bus loss and this one as I see a lot of similarities between Reid of recent years and Cavanaugh.

Reaction Score
Georgetown is ranked in both men's and women's soccer...Duke is the only other school with both teams ranked.

Georgetown...#1 Men...#21 Women

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
It’s rare when you get video evidence of some of the maddening things you see going to these games and the clear drop off in just doing small things that help you win games.

But here it is. Ray Reid teams in the wild. Less than a minute away from a win. And his defenders playing patty cake with the ball with 5 creighton players pressing. One has the ball taken from him like taking candy from a baby. Leaving the UConn goalie defenseless from the inevitable.

think about how hard it is to score a goal in soccer (especially when losing as all you need to do is clear it away from danger and not do anything stupid) and than look how easy UConn made it to cough up a lead less than 60 seconds away from a win.

ironic how similar the endings where between Friday’s ice bus loss and this one as I see a lot of similarities between Reid of recent years and Cavanaugh.

That was painful to see. Defenders just Richarding around with it instead of just turning it up field. You're right, clear it.

Reaction Score

That was painful to see. Defenders just Richarding around with it instead of just turning it up field. You're right, clear it.

What makes it even more painful is that this defensive lapse took place against Creighton, which is in a last place tie in the Big East men's soccer standings. UConn isn't much better, as they are currently in 9th place. Someone around here was talking about UConn cleaning up at home after they lost their first two road games. Well, it certainly doesn't seem to be happening.

By the way, UConn's next game is at Seton Hall, the team Creighton is sharing the basement with in the men's soccer standings.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn should have beaten Creighton but RR was not coaching to win but to contain the ball in his defensive 1/3 and the Blue Jays took advantage. Seton Hall will not be easy. This is another disappointing year for men’s soccer in Storrs,
Time for the assumed change when the season ends.

Reaction Score

Reid does not allow clearing the ball. Never has. He believes his team should be able to keep possession regardless of pressure. His teams have given up countless goals over the years with this approach but he won't change. His 2000 national championship puts him above reproach.

Reaction Score
UConn had a road game at Providence tonight, and the Huskies end up losing 2-1. Providence is currently in second place in the Big East men's soccer standings. UConn is now 2-4-2 in conference play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom