Fair Weather? I don't give an | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fair Weather? I don't give an

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Realistically, how does the consumer show displeasure with any product? If a product, like sports, has been paid for in advance, the consumer has one option. Embarrassing the provider with large blocks of empty seats and lousy TV ratings. Believe me. It works. The best example is the NY Giants/Wellington Mara reaction after the NY media coined the term "no show" to describe Giant's season ticket holders. The Parcels' era followed. Blind loyalty is dangerous. It creates PP/GDL relationships. If the consumer doesn't insist on a quality UCONN FB product, the consumer deserves what it receives.
In professional sports I agree. But in the case where it is not legal to buy players, the crowd has an impact on recruiting. So any statement of not showing up in order to demand quality has a negative impact on getting quality. Fans would be shooting themselves in the foot!

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I agree. I thought long and hard about this last night after seeing this thread. I came up with the analogy that defines this thread (and many of the differences between posters on the BY).

1) Some treat their support for the University of Connecticut as a transaction. I pay you this...you give me that.
2) Others treat their support for the University of Connecticut as a marriage. For better or for worse...in sickness and in health.

Cody J is clearly the former. I'm clearly the latter. UConn and I are in a very very long-term relationship. I will not leave her, just because she was suffering from a cancer for the last couple of years. We have removed the tumor, and we are going through the chemo. She's gonna recover. And even if she doesn't, I still love her. I'm not leaving her. And I don't give an ef what people think about that, either...
I mainly agree and dig the analogy, but while you can and do put a price on athletics and entertainment, you can't put a price on good .

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Grew up in a UCONN family. My kids cut their teeth at Memorial Stadium when they were toddlers. (My daughter thought that Wilbur Gilliard was a god). When my eldest son was applying to colleges he asked the question. "But Dad, how can I go to College B when I'm a UCONN fan?" He's now a UConn alumnus (2010) & enrolled at UCONN Law school. National Flag Blue runs in my family's veins.
Cody B. should be ashamed.

I have a friend who would say Gilliard is his favorite as well. I'm partial to either Tory Taylor or Carl Bond myself.

Reaction Score
You can complain all you want about the product. I have become apathetic this year, but will still attend the games and support my alma mater. To give up and "jump off" the bandwagon just shows you were never really a fan. When they eventually have success, please stay away. Stick to pro sports.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I got in a fight with Gilliard in an elevator in McMahon north one night. He also throws a good punch.

Nice! Who started it? You can be honest with us... ;)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He grabbed my girlfriends ass and I drilled him in the cheek. Good times

Gilliard just lost 10 cool-points with me after hearing that story......and you just gained 5... :eek:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Gilliard just lost 10 cool-points with me after hearing that story......and you just gained 5... :eek:
Everyone was drunk. Lucky for me I lived with two football players who pulled him off of me before I was killed. He apologized.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I got in a fight with Gilliard in an elevator in McMahon north one night. He also throws a good punch.

Why is it that this doesn't surprise me?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
T minus one week until some BC or Rutgers poster tells us UConn is a thug program going all the way back to the 90's referencing Wilbur Gilliard...

Reaction Score
I plan on leaving after the 1st quarter of the ville game. I don't want to have suicidal thoughts past 10 PM on a Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom