Facey | The Boneyard

Facey

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Anyone else starting to get the feeling that we might be sitting on a lot more than we think with this kid? If he hits his ceiling that might make me change my mind about how deep this team can go.

Reaction Score
Anyone else starting to get the feeling that we might be sitting on a lot more than we think with this kid? If he hits his ceiling that might make me change my mind about how deep this team can go.

I have no real feeling for what to expect from Facey. As I've said before, his rate stats were very strong last year, but his fouling was completely out of control. If he can keep his rebounding up and improve his touch a little while getting his fouls to the point where he can play 28mpg, we'll be in really good shape.

Reaction Score
Seeing is believing, and other than one KO quote (from when, last December?), we have absolutely no real reason to believe we have anything more than we've seen. There has to be some reason he barely played last year, even when we went small.

Reaction Score
Seeing is believing, and other than one KO quote (from when, last December?), we have absolutely no real reason to believe we have anything more than we've seen. There has to be some reason he barely played last year, even when we went small.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense--I guess players cant improve from Y-Y. The last time I looked Shabazz was a fair back up PG who shot 36% his first year and then -well he improved. Same thing with Daniels who absolutely sucked in yr 1. Guys need time to get bigger better etc... My bet is Facey is one of the most improved players--hes got great length hes got great form on his shot he rebounds runs the floor hes athletic there is a LOT there. To me the guys I think will have big roles Samuel and Facey barely played last year its just the process of getting more experience and learning your role and the game.

Reaction Score
Two reasons in particular - DeAndre Daniels and Niels Giffey.

This revisionist history isn't going to make Facey a better player. Facey was the best rate rebounder on the team, and couldn't get minutes when were getting killed on the boards in large part because his foul rate made him a huge liability. If Facey had been good enough to get minutes last year, he would have. He played 123 minutes last year while Olander played 270 and was a complete stiff.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This revisionist history isn't going to make Facey a better player. Facey was the best rate rebounder on the team, and couldn't get minutes when were getting killed on the boards in large part because his foul rate made him a huge liability. If Facey had been good enough to get minutes last year, he would have. He played 123 minutes last year while Olander played 270 and was a complete stiff.
Olander was also a Senior who knew defensive rotations and how the offense was ran. Deandre didn't play much his freshman year with the black hole at 4 and he came his sophomore year and broke out. I fully believe Facey will do the same. Phil didn't play much his freshman year with Olander and Wolf as our centers and he definitely had a big impact this year. I'm not worried about Facey.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

A couple things - first, Olander played all 270 of those minutes at the center position. Freshman year Kentan Facey wasn't going to play much center given his physical limitations compared to Brimah, Nolan, and Olander.

Secondly, it's not revisionist history to say that Daniels and Giffey blocked Facey's playing time at the 4. Even if Facey didn't have foul issues, his playing time was going to be capped. Why would you want to take Daniels or Giffey off the floor?

I'm not suggesting that Facey is going to blow people away this year. Yes, he did foul a lot last year. But the makeup of the roster had a lot to do with his lack of playing time. He'll have every opportunity to show what he can do this year.

Reaction Score
Olander was also a Senior who knew defensive rotations and how the offense was ran. Deandre didn't play much his freshman year with the black hole at 4 and he came his sophomore year and broke out. I fully believe Facey will do the same. Phil didn't play much his freshman year with Olander and Wolf as our centers and he definitely had a big impact this year. I'm not worried about Facey.

Olander was garbage last year, and wouldn't have gotten any minutes if we hadn't been so desperate inside. Daniels was fighting for minutes with Roscoe, Oriakhi, Giffey, etc., and the team wasn't getting killed inside, AND he still played nearly 400 minutes. Nolan played more than twice as many minutes as a freshman as Facey did last year despite also not being very good, AND despite the team playing 10 fewer games than last year. Facey might be a good player this year, but this idea that he was only held back by depth inside last year is insane. Our inside game last year was a huge weakness, and Facey's inability to get any significant burn in that group is a pretty big concern to me.

Reaction Score
I think he'll be a decent player for us, but my wild @@@ guess is he'll really contribute as a junior and senior. He's got the right attitude. He knows what the team needs, and is focused on filling that void. All great news.

I appreciate his comments about learning what it takes to become a champion, but what we've seen in the past, is that guys aren't really ready for the fact everyone wants to beat the national champs. I think this team has a lot of potential, but they are going to have to realize the challenge they face. I can't wait for the season, should be a great one.

Reaction Score
Yeah, exactly, 6'7 204 (according to ESPN) Neils Giffey was apparently more suited for the 4 than Facey.

why use his measurements and not your eyes? Giffey defended the likes of Julius Randle and Dwight Powell and held them in check, he apparently was more than suited to play and defend the 4. If he couldn't KO wouldn't have played him there heavy minutes 2 years in a row.

Reaction Score
Our inside game last year was a huge weakness, and Facey's inability to get any significant burn in that group is a pretty big concern to me.

I'll buy that the center position was a huge weakness. So if you're arguing that it's a bad sign that Facey couldn't crack the lineup at center, I won't really argue with you other than to point out the obvious - that the other 3 centers on the roster were simply taller and stronger than Facey was.

Power forward is a different story. I don't care that we played non-traditional guys at that spot - we had a net advantage at the 4 in almost every game we played because Daniels and Giffey were very, very good players. No shame in not being able to crack the lineup at that position last year.

Reaction Score
KO played a good deal of the FF and NC game with a small lineup of Daniels and Giffey, and they were clearly our 2 best options at PF/4, yet people are still questioning why Facey didn't play ahead of them. A 2nd round draft pick and a starter on the German senior national team that just competed in the last Eurobasket, and there are questions why an inexperienced freshman didn't play ahead of them. What world are ya'll living in?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'll buy that the center position was a huge weakness. So if you're arguing that it's a bad sign that Facey couldn't crack the lineup at center, I won't really argue with you other than to point out the obvious - that the other 3 centers on the roster were simply taller and stronger than Facey was.

Power forward is a different story. I don't care that we played non-traditional guys at that spot - we had a net advantage at the 4 in almost every game we played because Daniels and Giffey were very, very good players. No shame in not being able to crack the lineup at that position last year.
Here's the thing, not being ready as freshman does not equal not being ready ever. Comparison to Giffey is silly. Neils brought much more to the table than the standard four play. He stretched defenses because he was a consistent 3 threat and could put on the floor and take it in to the paint. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

Let's see what the kid can do. I'll take however many minutes he can give.

Reaction Score
KO played a good deal of the FF and NC game with a small lineup of Daniels and Giffey, and they were clearly our 2 best options at PF/4, yet people are still questioning why Facey didn't play ahead of them. A 2nd round draft pick and a starter on the German senior national team that just competed in the last Eurobasket, and there are questions why an inexperienced freshman didn't play ahead of them. What world are ya'll living in?
I personally do think it's ridiculous that people are acting like the Giffey/Daniels juggernaut was the reason he didn't play. He was lost all the time on defense, and just wasn't good enough to play. If he had played at a Josh Boone freshman level he would have gotten minutes, even with Giffey and Daniels on the team.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If you haven't noticed by now you won't play for us if you can't play defense. So knowing what you're doing out there is a must. That was the only reason Brimah played last year because of his great shot blocking ability and energy. Facey didn't have that length and with his foul rate he simply wasn't going to get time over Daniels and Giffey just because he was a great rebounder. Olander might've sucked but he knew what he was doing on defense and not be lost like Facey would've been if he was in instead. He just needed that year for the game to slow down and learn. He will be a great high low combo with Brimah.

Reaction Score
I personally do think it's ridiculous that people are acting like the Giffey/Daniels juggernaut was the reason he didn't play. He was lost all the time on defense, and just wasn't good enough to play. If he had played at a Josh Boone freshman level he would have gotten minutes, even with Giffey and Daniels on the team.

But that's the point, he wasn't as good as either of them, so why would you give him their minutes? Yes Facey had issues defensively and with fouling(although part of that is dude wasn't going to play a ton of minutes, so why not play with less restraint ya know), but if you're not better than the players ahead of you, you're not playing ahead of them. Nolan and Brimah had foul issues, and sometimes were late on rotations, yet KO still turned to them ahead of Olander. Why, because they were better. Nobody is trying to say that Giffey and DD were All Americans(although DD had the ability to play like one when he was on), but they were integral pieces to UConn winning, so they get the minutes.

Reaction Score
But that's the point, he wasn't as good as either of them, so why would you give him their minutes? Yes Facey had issues defensively and with fouling(although part of that is dude wasn't going to play a ton of minutes, so why not play with less restraint ya know), but if you're not better than the players ahead of you, you're not playing ahead of them. Nolan and Brimah had foul issues, and sometimes were late on rotations, yet KO still turned to them ahead of Olander. Why, because they were better. Nobody is trying to say that Giffey and DD were All Americans(although DD had the ability to play like one when he was on), but they were integral pieces to UConn winning, so they get the minutes.

If Facey had been a decent player last year, he'd have gotten more than 3 minutes/game.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Order Qualifiers and Order winners.

Facey needs to improve defensive positioning and as a result decrease his foul rate in order to qualify to crack the lineup. This in conjunction with the two extremely complimentary options we had ahead of him at the 4 kept him out of the lineup.

The good news is, this is the area I would expect Facey to improve the most in jumping from Freshman to Sophomore year.

I think we're all expecting a significant improvement out of Brimah in this area, why not Facey?

Now if he does, he's clearly got a skill-set we need desperately in his rebounding rate and what looks like a nice mid range game to boot. Those are his order winners that will make a significant difference to the team.

I don't expect the kind of production we had out of the 4 last year, but I do think its going to be better than we thought. If so, its one less void in the lineup.

Reaction Score
If Facey had been a decent player last year, he'd have gotten more than 3 minutes/game.

we've been down this road and back before so there's no point in taking that trip again

Reaction Score
Nobody is trying to say that Giffey and DD were All Americans(although DD had the ability to play like one when he was on), but they were integral pieces to UConn winning, so they get the minutes.
I guess my impression is that a lot of people are saying this. That Giffey and DD were so great the entire year that there was just no way to get him on the court, and I don't agree with that. If he came in playing at a Josh Boone level he would have played, and Giffey and DD just would have played less. We didn't have that option because he wasn't good enough out of the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom