Facey | The Boneyard

Facey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not too discouraged about last nights game. Games like this are going to happen we just did not make shots and we move on to the next one. There is just one thing that I would like to see against Washington, and that is Kentan getting more time. Why not try the kid out for longer stretches at the 5? At one point last night Niels was at the 5 and I was a little disappointed Facey was not getting the opportunity. I honestly think he could be our best inside scorer and rebounder if he can just get a chance. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
You have to think about the fact that there's a group of coaches who see the kid play for several hours every day. I don't think they would consciously elect to bench the team's best inside scorer and rebounder. It's not as if the game is the only chance he gets to win some playing time.

Reaction Score
You have to think about the fact that there's a group of coaches who see the kid play for several hours every day. I don't think they would consciously elect to bench the team's best inside scorer and rebounder. It's not as if the game is the only chance he gets to win some playing time.
Absolutely. Coaches give players PT that they earn in practice. Facey hasn't earned it, period. He is on the bench where he belongs until he proves to the staff that he deserves more PT. There is always a tendency for fans to change the lineup after a loss. If we are going to point the finger at someone, point it at Bazz and Boatright who ran the offense against the zone. Nobody had a good game last night

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Coaches give players PT that they earn in practice. Facey hasn't earned it, period. He is on the bench where he belongs until he proves to the staff that he deserves more PT. There is always a tendency for fans to change the lineup after a loss. If we are going to point the finger at someone, point it at Bazz and Boatright who ran the offense against the zone. Nobody had a good game last night

Nolan sure as hell hasn't earned anything from what I've seen. Even if Facey just stands there and doesn't try he can probably match Nolans 2 rebound average. Yes, we all know the coaches see these kids everyday in practice, but most of us boneyarders have seen 10 games that actually count. Based on what I've seen Nolan is our 4th best big man out of 4, and Facey should play more. A lot more.

Reaction Score
Nolan sure as hell hasn't earned anything from what I've seen. Even if Facey just stands there and doesn't try he can probably match Nolans 2 rebound average. Yes, we all know the coaches see these kids everyday in practice, but most of us boneyarders have seen 10 games that actually count. Based on what I've seen Nolan is our 4th best big man out of 4, and Facey should play more. A lot more.

Kudos, this makes no sense.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Ultimately, it comes down to how these guys play defense (and rebound). None of them are going to be offensive juggernauts. Facey might not be playing as good D as others in practice.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I feel bad talking down on Phil because he plays so hard, but man, the guy either travels or air balls when gets the ball 50 percent of the time it seems.

I find it hard to believe Facey could be New York player of the year and not at least match that pproduction.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I feel bad talking down on Phil because he plays so hard, but man, the guy either travels or air balls when gets the ball 50 percent of the time it seems.

I find it hard to believe Facey could be New York player of the year and not at least match that pproduction.

Facey isn't a 5. Might as well put DeAndre at 2 guard if you're gonna do this.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Its not just about how they do in practice. Because Omar must play like LeBron or Durant during practice.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
That's cold, man.
Not really. Omar just isn't good. Its one thing if you aren't shooting well for a week or two. But to continue to jack three's up and never look to pass the ball is another.

You don't get back to playing well by shooting more. You start playing well by doing the little things.

Reaction Score
Its not just about how they do in practice. Because Omar must play like LeBron or Durant during practice.

I don't think anyone said it's "just" about how they do in practice, but the idea that some fan on a message board has a better sense of who deserves what playing time - based on the 40 minutes twice a week they actually see these kids - is about as ridiculous as the people who post instructions for Ollie on attacking a zone defense.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone said it's "just" about how they do in practice, but the idea that some fan on a message board has a better sense of who deserves what playing time - based on the 40 minutes twice a week they actually see these kids - is about as ridiculous as the people who post instructions for Ollie on attacking a zone defense.
See there's a difference. The bottom line is Omar isn't producing in-game.

The fact that we never really made a good attempt to break the zone in the 2nd half is a whole new story. Us fans obviously saw that.

Reaction Score
I'll slow it down for you. I don't think it's possible for any big to play much worse than Phil right now so lets give the new kid a chance.

Okay, I'll lay it out as clearly as possible for you: that you "don't think" something's possible is based on what you see in the 80 minutes a week you see this team play. I know this is probably something you haven't thought about, but the coaches see these kids more than you.

So you not thinking something is possible is based on a hell of a lot less information than what the people who actually make these decisions have to work with.

Get it now?

Reaction Score
Okay, I'll lay it out as clearly as possible for you: that you "don't think" something's possible is based on what you see in the 80 minutes a week you see this team play. I know this is probably something you haven't thought about, but the coaches see these kids more than you.

So you not thinking something is possible is based on a hell of a lot less information than what the people who actually make these decisions have to work with.

Get it now?

Nolan has been awful what is there to think about?

Reaction Score
We disagree BigErn that's all there is to it. No hard feelings this is a message board where posters share opinions. PN has been a disaster

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Facey isn't a 5. Might as well put DeAndre at 2 guard if you're gonna do this.

Is Phil really a 5? Half the time Giffey is out there playing the 5.

Point being, Emeka Okafor isn't walking through that door, so why not throw some other kids with length out there.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

Here's the scary thing- in fewer minutes of play, Nolan averages more points, rebounds, steals, and assists than Brimah. We know TO isn't the answer. 5 is our unlucky number this year.

pj

Reaction Score

We don't need offense from the 5, just defense and rebounding. That would still be true if Facey was playing at the 5.

Facey at the moment is a 4 only. We have to assume he is being developed as a PF, groomed to replace DD when he leaves or moves to the 3. We have to assume that the coaches think learning both the 4 and 5 spots is too much for him at the moment, or that he is not strong enough to play the 5, and at the 5 we have three players (Nolan, Brimah, Olander) plus Giffey when a 4th is needed already.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Yea that and I've seen Facey plenty and I really like him. Ton of upside and has the instincts to rebound you can't teach

The thing with Facey is that he's mainly played in games against weak competition when they had their reserve players on the floor. It's not (I can't say for sure, but I assume) the same kind of production we'd see from him against a starting unit of a top-tier team. The upside is definitely there and I think he has the potential to do a lot before all is said and done. I just think at the present time he's not ready to be a solid contributor for us at the center position.

Reaction Score
We all agree that there has to be more production down there but how? Daniels is a great option he should be number one to post but I don't want him guarding their big. It's a waste to throw it in to Nolan and Brimah at this point because they are going to get stripped lose the ball. Against Central fine but not Louisville. Facey's ball skill surpasses Nolan's size and he'll probably rebound better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom