Face the State talks UConn football with new President | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Face the State talks UConn football with new President

Reaction Score
I’m not sure about that, but I hope you’re right.
Did you seriously forget that UConn hasn't lowered academic standards for football players?

Some of you behave as if you're in another world.

Reaction Score
cartel...oh hell.

It's always someone else's fault. The call of the permanent victim whose fate is always determined by "powerful others".

Sure there is P5 privilege, white privilege, wealth privilege, etc., but to define your circumstances to be beyond your control, is to abdicate any personal responsibility.

Do you think that programs like Liberty and UMass compete well right now with programs like Ohio State , Alabama, LSU etc. that have spent 100 years and a billion dollars building up fan bases and athletic structure and tradition?

Basketball...you can compete at the highest level if you have a couple of star players. Not so in football.

And the NCAA tournament is just show for the 9-16 seeds. A participation trophy where the chance to win the tourney is zero. No seed of #9 -#16 has made the championship game. It makes us feel good...but they are not there to be a champion.

There is actually no real reason to have the back half of the seeds included other than for the entertainment and the show of diversity...they do not make the championshop game.

In fact...the #1-#3 seeds have a 88.3% chance of winning based on past history through 2019.

A #4 seed drops off to a 2.9% chance....Yep, they have a chance, but a negligible one.

The lower seeds in the tourney give an illusion of diversity and equality of chance...but actually have no chance for the championship.

The beauty of FBS football is that the season counts...every weekend is a playoff. A game lost has real meaning...

Reaction Score
When I was in school...no Florida team had ever finished #1 AP or won a NC in football.

Now, beginning in 1983, 10 national football champions have come from Florida teams. I was 18 years out of high school by then and wondered if the day would ever come for the then "new kids on the block".

Reaction Score
cartel...oh hell.

It's always someone else's fault. The call of the permanent victim whose fate is always determined by "powerful others".

Sure there is P5 privilege, white privilege, wealth privilege, etc., but to define your circumstances to be beyond your control, is to abdicate any personal responsibility.

Do you think that programs like Liberty and UMass compete well right now with programs like Ohio State , Alabama, LSU etc. that have spent 100 years and a billion dollars building up fan bases and athletic structure and tradition?

Basketball...you can compete at the highest level if you have a couple of star players. Not so in football.

And the NCAA tournament is just show for the 9-16 seeds. A participation trophy where the chance to win the tourney is zero. No seed of #9 -#16 has made the championship game. It makes us feel good...but they are not there to be a champion.

There is actually no real reason to have the back half of the seeds included other than for the entertainment and the show of diversity...they do not make the championshop game.

In fact...the #1-#3 seeds have a 88.3% chance of winning based on past history through 2019.

A #4 seed drops off to a 2.9% chance....Yep, they have a chance, but a negligible one.

The lower seeds in the tourney give an illusion of diversity and equality of chance...but actually have no chance for the championship.

The beauty of FBS football is that the season counts...every weekend is a playoff. A game lost has real meaning...

It always amazes me how self unaware folks can be about the venue they are on and their audience. Do you really think this fan base, given what it is going through, wants you to pontificate to them? Just amazing......

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
When you hear "diversity" is a goal, prepare to take a step back as an institution.

Something I learned at UCONN is that diversity is a strength. Not sure why you view it as a negative.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure about that, but I hope you’re right.
Do you think a kid going through the public school system in Darien or Greenwich has been afforded the same opportunity and resources as the kid going to school in Hartford or Waterbury? Those kids should be measured only on who is "best and burightest"? Given the recent academic scandal where rich parents were buying their kids into schools, the best and brightest is criteria we should be using?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I can think of one particular 8 seed that did. They ended up losing to the 7 seed in the championship game.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Sort of. If you weren't ranked as a top school preseason, your record doesn't matter quite as much as making headway is tough to do.

C

Chief00

What I learned is the top priority is aligning with the Governor’s budget, giving away more dollars to low income family students because god forbid they take student loans like the rest of us and pay them back when working, and more diversity (whatever that means anymore). Oh, and 17-20 year old kids want to go back to the BigEast and relive the 1990 and 2000s (prebirth and nursery school), and that’s why the moved. Note to President,When you lie don’t touch your face.
I do agree, once again the middle and upper middle class comes up empty in CT government’s scheme on things. They are perpetually overlooked. The wealthy have other options, like a 6 month residence in FL to avoid burdensome taxes. The poor have an al la cart menu of programs to pick from, designed to make them dependent on government.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score

I would think UCF would say that their 2017 fate was determined by "powerful others". For them and anyone not in the P5, every weekend is not a playoff. It's an exercise in futility if you think you'll ever win a football NC. The "powerful others" will make sure of that.

Reaction Score
I would think UCF would say that their 2017 fate was determined by "powerful others". For them and anyone not in the P5, every weekend is not a playoff. It's an exercise in futility if you think you'll ever win a football NC. The "powerful others" will make sure of that.

Heck...if they had at least beaten more than one P5 team ( and that one with a losing record)..they might have a case for playing in the CFP.

But they only beat Auburn in the bowl (who undefeated Clemson had also beaten)...

And they played a mediocre schedule (ranked #72)...

Wins have a value....the value of those wins is what separated 11 win Florida Atlantic (SOS #111) from 10 win Notre Dame (SOS #2).

Reaction Score
Billybud is tolerated so graciously here that sometimes he gets a bit overconfident. Yes, Alabama and the Florida schools have “invested in football”. We know.

As a transplanted yankee living in the south, I find it comical that the south continually points to its success in the last 30 years as evidence they know football or they know business. Reality is, all of their growth in all of these things hinged heavily on the relocation of northerners escaping the cold.

People in Michigan don’t like being cold. Lots of them move to Florida. Coincidentally, Florida produces more good football players than they used to.

In regard to UCF, they literally can’t get games with cartel schools because they’ll whoop them most of the time. The AD publicly whines about it.

Reaction Score
It always amazes me how self unaware folks can be about the venue they are on and their audience. Do you really think this fan base, given what it is going through, wants you to pontificate to them? Just amazing.

Yeah...I know that I don't go with the board narrative all of the time...but argue my point...I know it is unpopular...but that doesn't make it wrong.

One's viewpoint is usually a function of their vantage point...if you seek diversity, views from different vantage points should be fine.

Reaction Score
Billybud is tolerated so graciously here that sometimes he gets a bit overconfident. Yes, Alabama and the Florida schools have “invested in football”. We know.

As a transplanted yankee living in the south, I find it comical that the south continually points to its success in the last 30 years as evidence they know football or they know business. Reality is, all of their growth in all of these things hinged heavily on the relocation of northerners escaping the cold.

People in Michigan don’t like being cold. Lots of them move to Florida. Coincidentally, Florida produces more good football players than they used to.

In regard to UCF, they literally can’t get games with cartel schools because they’ll whoop them most of the time. The AD publicly whines about it.

Most of those Florida athletes are black kids...whose family's did not flee snowy Michigan for Florida.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the last ten seasons...UCF has played..

4 games with ACC...won 2 (against teams without winning seasons)

6 games with Big 10...won 2 (they did beat a 7-5 team)

7 games with the SEC...won 2 (one with winning record..Auburn).

1 game with Pac 12...lost

6-18 over that ten year period...not bad...but not great either.

Reaction Score
Most of those Florida athletes are black kids...whose family's did not flee snowy Michigan for Florida.

Ha. I know plenty of them. 80% of the people here, regardless of skin color, come from somewhere else. Many of the black athletes in my area actually came from Haiti. Still, Florida didn’t grow them or at least not their parents. Sunshine made Florida grow and sunshine will be its undoing. I’ll be out of here before that happens.

I personally know 6 current D1 football players from my area, 3 are black. Not one of these kids has parents that grew up in Florida.

Reaction Score
Considering UConn was beating UCF 4 years ago, that’s not saying much.

The P5 duck UCF now. They’ll play them when they stink. No worries there.

Reaction Score
I can think of one one particular 8 seed that did. They ended up losing to the 7 seed in the championship game.

Yes....interesting year for UConn....the #8 seed has won 1 of the last 34 championships...and the #7 has won 1.

The #1 through #3...30 championships

#9-16....zip

Reaction Score
Yes....interesting year for UConn....the #8 seed has won 1 of the last 34 championships...and the #7 has won 1.

The #1 through #3...30 championships

#9-16....zip

It was interesting because we were under seeded because we were no longer in a power conference. Cartel.

Reaction Score
Yeah...I know that I don't go with the board narrative all of the time...but argue my point...I know it is unpopular...but that doesn't make it wrong.

One's viewpoint is usually a function of their vantage point...if you seek diversity, views from different vantage points should be fine.

That's not even remotely the ^%$ing point.

Reaction Score
It was interesting because we were under seeded because we were no longer in a power conference. Cartel.

Could be...The cartel sure didn't help Kentucky...#8 seed. They went 22-9 regular season and lost to Florida in the SEC tournament. Probably 8 was close.

UConn's 24-7 regular season and losing to Louisville in the AAC tornament may have had something to do with the 7 seeding.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
In the last ten seasons...UCF has played..

6-18 over that ten year period...not bad...but not great either.
Why did you pick the last 10 years? 2017, 2018 & to a lesser degree 2019 are the recent good years. In 2015 they were 0-12, so they didn't beat anybody then. The football playoffs is not a cumulative thing.
Playing in the AAC as opposed to the P5 conferences will always result in a somewhat lower SOS, again making it likely that a G5 school will never really be considered for a NC. That's the way the "powerful others" want it.

Reaction Score
In 2017..it would have behooved UCF to not have had a non IA on the schedule (Austin Peay).

That gve them 11 wins going into the CFP...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom