Face It | The Boneyard

Face It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Complaining about our conference is a waste of time and energy

But maybe if I post enough, Warde and Susan (who obviously read the BY) will notice and finally start working on getting us out!! Because we all know everything they do on a day-to-day basis and can tell that they've been doing absolutely nothing!!

</sarcasm>

Reaction Score
Yes, complaining about being in the AAC is one thing, but complaining about the respect it has gotten from the committee the last 2 years is another. Its just wrong that Temple didnt get in. With 23 overall wins, 13 conference wins, and an RPI of 34, what more could they possibly do??? SMU, the conference regular season and tournament champion as a 6 seed???

Reaction Score
Yes, complaining about being in the AAC is one thing, but complaining about the respect it has gotten from the committee the last 2 years is another. Its just wrong that Temple didnt get in. With 23 overall wins, 13 conference wins, and an RPI of 34, what more could they possibly do??? SMU, the conference regular season and tournament champion as a 6 seed???
I completely agree

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Valid point but I would wager that the problem is the AAC was not represented on the selection committee the past couple of years. The selection has always had some subjective component towards it regarding gray areas. Bottom line is the conference really performed poorly at the beginning of this season and was always outside looking in. The BE was the exact opposite and hence the number of bids and better than expected seeding.

And last season SMU had a horrible SOS.

Lots of plausible reasons other than they have it in for the AAC. But let's panic and jump off cliffs.

Reaction Score
Every time something bad happens to this league, you will hear the same whining. We won the National Title out of this league last year. They were pretty fugging quiet then.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No matter how bad things get, returning to the BE is not an option. Period. You can cry for it on a forum all you want, but both our AD and the conference itself are not going to make that move.

I think that no school will ever move from the current AAC to a major conference. If we ever want to join the Big 10 or ACC, we need to join the Big East as soon as possible.

Reaction Score
Valid point but I would wager that the problem is the AAC was not represented on the selection committee the past couple of years. The selection has always had some subjective component towards it regarding gray areas. Bottom line is the conference really performed poorly at the beginning of this season and was always outside looking in. The BE was the exact opposite and hence the number of bids and better than expected seeding.

And last season SMU had a horrible SOS.

Lots of plausible reasons other than they have it in for the AAC. But let's panic and jump off cliffs.
This is a good post. I'm still pissed off on behalf of Temple, though.

Hopefully the bottom-dwellars will be able to get their RPI up, and hopefully the league doesn't collectively the bed in November & December next year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think that no school will ever move from the current AAC to a major conference. If we ever want to join the Big 10 or ACC, we need to join the Big East as soon as possible.

Good for you. You can think that. I think you're flat-out wrong.

Reaction Score
And you are so sure the Big East would take us?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

We have a very clear issue. The conference has been alive for two years and has been demonstrably punished for existing by the committee - forget even SMU and Temple getting screwed.

Louisville last year - 29-5, conference regular season and tournament champs, heading into the tourney ranked in the top 5...Four Seed.

Louisville this year - 24-8 - lose a starter to rape charges mid-season, fourth in the conference, lose conference tourney in first round...Four Seed.

What's the difference in their treatment? The AAC. We're in a spot where the powers that be do not want to split the baby further to accommodate a new conference - it be a problem whether we want to admit it or not.

The Big East isn't an option even though they've clearly found much easier sailing in the post-season. No good answers.

Reaction Score
And you are so sure the Big East would take us?
No, I'm sure a basketball only conference wouldn't want a 4x NC program with natural rivalries and a perfect geographical fit. Definitely wouldn't help them with their next TV contract / perception / etc. Tbeyd rather have Coastal Carolina I'm sure.

Reaction Score
No, I'm sure a basketball only conference wouldn't want a 4x NC program with natural rivalries and a perfect geographical fit. Definitely wouldn't help them with their next TV contract / perception / etc. Tbeyd rather have Coastal Carolina I'm sure.

Big East and Fox Sports would take us in a heartbeat. We'd be a great addition on FS1 and frankly, I'd take that in a heartbeat

Reaction Score
BE, PAC 10, SEC, Big 12 were all represented along with BYU on the committee. Chair was from Utah St. Next year chair from Okla.

Reaction Score
No matter how bad things get, returning to the BE is not an option. Period. You can cry for it on a forum all you want, but both our AD and the conference itself are not going to make that move.

I half agree. Think it's too early to make the move now and kill football. But I disagree about whether the NBE would have us. They should love to have us today, and that will be the case in 2/3 years. If by then, the FB program is still struggling and the AAC hasn't improved in b-ball it may be worth doing then. At that point football will have been D-1 for 15+ years so if we haven't gained traction, think it's fair to wonder if it'll ever happen. But no sense in pulling the trigger now when the NBE as fallback option should be there for the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst's top three list for Manuel to be metricked on should be:

1) Get us out of this phuckin conference
2) see above
3)ditto

Until he gets this program into a legitimate conference where we can recruit against anyone, I don't see how his performance can be measured favorably. Enough is enough of this crap Warde.

Reaction Score

2) see above
3)ditto

Until he gets this program into a legitimate conference where we can recruit against anyone, I don't see how his performance can be measured favorably. Enough is enough of this crap Warde.
I'm sure that he hasn't even thought about getting out of the conference and it is last on his list of priorities :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

2) see above
3)ditto

Other G5 schools recruit for basketball just fine. Can't blame Warde. He has done everything that he could. New basketball facility. Working on scheduling P5 schools for games. Attending many games himself. He is not responsible for conference realignment. It has nothing to do with him. He can only schedule games for UConn and hope for the best in the future. He tried to monitor what other schools were doing, but it didn't work out unfortunately at that time. But...what you are asking for is out of his hands. We can only hope that UConn continues winning and all will be well. Look at all of the championship trophies in the case at Gampel! Let's hope that two more are added this season. The women in the NCAA and the men in the NIT!

Reaction Score
Everyone forget , we were in a conference with them called the Big East.
They left us for dead .
We never , I repeat never ,left them.
They wanted their own private school league.
The last I checked we are a large public.
Maybe if Aresco wasn't off chasing the impossible dream of a P6 football conference. Instead of looking at its core competence
We might still be in a great basketball conference.
Aresco, had the following
UConn
Georgetown
Villanova
Temple
Marquette
Providence
Cinn
Plus
Memphis
Seton Hall
South FLA
DePaul
Central FLA
Plus pick two
ECU football only
Navy football only
Army football only
It's a fun 8 team primarily eastern football conference and a super BB conference

Reaction Score
Everyone forget , we were in a conference with them called the Big East.
They left us for dead .
We never , I repeat never ,left them.
They wanted their own private school league.
The last I checked we are a large public.
Maybe if Aresco wasn't off chasing the impossible dream of a P6 football conference. Instead of looking at its core competence
We might still be in a great basketball conference.
Aresco, had the following
UConn
Georgetown
Villanova
Temple
Marquette
Providence
Cinn
Plus
Memphis
Seton Hall
South FLA
DePaul
Central FLA
Plus pick two
ECU football only
Navy football only
Army football only
It's a fun 8 team primarily eastern football conference and a super BB conference
I think what more likely happened is that we were forced to stay in the AAC in order to have a home for football. My point is that if we are ready to sacrifice football, which won't be the case for a while, we will have a home in the NBE. It's all about the dollars - the fact that the other NBE schools are small and private is irrelevant. Just like Louisville's academics were for the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think what more likely happened is that we were forced to stay in the AAC in order to have a home for football. My point is that if we are ready to sacrifice football, which won't be the case for a while, we will have a home in the NBE. It's all about the dollars - the fact that the other NBE schools are small and private is irrelevant. Just like Louisville's academics were for the ACC.
ummm, what dollars are you talking about? you are aware that there is a ceiling for basketball dollars, right?

Reaction Score
Big East and Fox Sports would take us in a heartbeat. We'd be a great addition on FS1 and frankly, I'd take that in a heartbeat

Do it. Kill football now. UCONN football will always suck, not worth ruining basketball in the long run.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Do it. Kill football now. UCONN football will always suck, not worth ruining basketball in the long run.
Even the drunken thought of a 8-4 football team makes more money than basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom