Eyes | The Boneyard

Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was watching the eyes of UConn players as they were in their man to man defense the last couple of nights. It seemed to me that the guards look at different things while they're guarding their man. For example, KML looks her guy in the eye and must get a read on what the opponent is about to do, right beforeKML swipes the ball. Bria, however, tracks the ball. Her head is up but her eyes are down following the movement of the ball. Both get a lot of tips (there were a TON of tipped balls last night) but they do it in different ways.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Good observation. Nothing like front row seats to get a better perspective on the game

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I was watching the eyes of UConn players as they were in their man to man defense the last couple of nights. It seemed to me that the guards look at different things while they're guarding their man. For example, KML looks her guy in the eye and must get a read on what the opponent is about to do, right beforeKML swipes the ball. Bria, however, tracks the ball. Her head is up but her eyes are down following the movement of the ball. Both get a lot of tips (there were a TON of tipped balls last night) but they do it in different ways.

That's interesting. In contrast, I was taught to focus on my opponent's waist and rely on peripheral vision to track the ball. The logic is that well-trained eyes and upper body can fake what the mind is intending, but not the waist, while moving objects like a bouncing ball can be tracked just as well with peripheral vision. Of course, I was never taught by anyone close to being a HOF coach, but defense was about my only redeeming quality on the basketball court. I was never faked out (or at least I blocked all those occurrences from my mind ;>}).

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Thanks for the observations, Nan!

Watching at home I noticed the eyes of KML and Kelly were not happy with the way the game was going in the second half. Also saw KML make a not happy aside to CD when she came out...seemed to be about the way things were going offensively.

When I read the presser comments this morning, and JA's tweets and blog, looks like KML and Kelly did not think the team was playing to CT basketball standards, score not withstanding. And I bet they had something to say about it in the locker room.

I always thought that Kelly was the conscience of the team. And now I have hopes that KML will continue that role after Kelly graduates.

(I plan on watching Kelly as closely as possible this season. Man, will she be missed when she graduates!!)

Looking forward to tonight, and also the XL game on Wednesday!!

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... In contrast, I was taught to focus on my opponent's waist and rely on peripheral vision to track the ball. The logic is that well-trained eyes and upper body can fake what the mind is intending, but not the waist...,}).

This is great. Thanks - I had not even given that a thought, regarding BBall!
As a lineman, it seemed about the most exciting and challenging football play was stopping a fast halfback on a pitch-out, as he initially raced toward the sideline, threatening to get outside us linemen and turn that corner. As soon as you threatened to beat him to the sideline, of course, all the head-faking, stutter stepping, etc made it a real challenge given their superior speed. We had to get the angle of attack just right – couldn’t guess wrong – would he instantly cut back inside, or not???
Defending seemed to be manageable only when focusing on the hips. As you point out, the hips seem to telegraph the intended direction. Once you realized only a crab is designed to run fast sideways, it made sense, even to us groggy knuckle-dragging ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom