Eyeballs On Practice | The Boneyard

Eyeballs On Practice

Reaction Score
Can anyone report actually seeing a recent practice to report on rather than just hearing about what happened?

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone except people actually associated with the team has seen any practices. The reporters being let in for the last couple minutes to see shooting drills don’t count.

Reaction Score
Since they built the practice facility it's very hard, if not impossible, to get in to watch practices. When they used to practice at Gampel the building was opened and you could just walk in. @Thirty Three used to walk in all the time and watch practices. I did a few times also.
I figured as much and it’s sad because this thing is treated like they’re guarding top military secrets. A lot of postulating and predicting here but it would be nice to see some scrimmage clips or some eyes on reporting. I guess we await first night or November.

Reaction Score
Before Covid I could get into Werth a few times in the pre-season. It's pretty well locked down now.

Reaction Score
Since they built the practice facility it's very hard, if not impossible, to get in to watch practices. When they used to practice at Gampel the building was opened and you could just walk in. @Thirty Three used to walk in all the time and watch practices. I did a few times also.
When I was a student ('08 - '12) I used to walk into Gampel all the time and see the team practicing. I remember thinking it was a little surreal that anyone could just walk in and sit down.

Reaction Score
Not letting anyone come in is understandable unless they show a vaccination card and wear a mask. Do the beat writers have access?
Only when they're invited. Which is only a few times before the season starts and then usually the day before games so they can write their game day articles.

Reaction Score
It's First Night from the couch for us! Ultra casual!

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Do individual players still practice in gampel? I remember watching Diana, Rudy, Kemba all do individual workouts at Gampel with the doors open and a few dozen of us in the stands.

Reaction Score

Yeah I watched a lot of “captains” practices back in the day at Gampel. Good ol days.

And the team scrimmages at places like Southington HS were fun back in JCs early days.

Reaction Score
Do individual players still practice in gampel? I remember watching Diana, Rudy, Kemba all do individual workouts at Gampel with the doors open and a few dozen of us in the stands.
I would guess not. The players have 24/7 access to the practice facility, with their own locker room and personalized lockers, so I don't know why they would ever go over to Gampel.

Reaction Score
I would guess not. The players have 24/7 access to the practice facility, with their own locker room and personalized lockers, so I don't know why they would ever go over to Gampel.

They do go down there to practice shooting occasionally. It's set up for other sports practices at times though. Sight lines and confidence shooting in your home gym is a big advantage (and one of the reasons coach hates playing at XL).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I remember walking through Gampel one day in the early 2000's. Team was practicing...But Coach Calhoun saw me and gave me a polite-looking gesture to keep walking through and to leave.

Guess I either looked too shady/suspicious or too much like a "casual fan"
aha! so ur
maxresdefault.jpg

good to know.
the op makes a quality point. until we get some real info, thus far the whole thing is like that tale from India, where the blind or blindfolded people are asked 'what is it?' as they touch various parts of an elephant.
good lesson.
i am absolutely, positively, convinced that almost 100% of the blowhard 'experts' on huskyhoops get all/most of their info from this place.

Reaction Score
Gampel serves as a great cut through for students to get to Hilltop. During the winter it gets so cold and windy that I would cut through every day.

Reaction Score
Actually, last season Danny did practice during the season at XL for that reason.
I think that was just a handful of times a day or two before games at XL. But you're right, he said he was not happy about playing in an arena that they never got to practice their shots in.

Reaction Score
I think that was just a handful of times a day or two before games at XL. But you're right, he said he was not happy about playing in an arena that they never got to practice their shots in.
Yes, but it shows he’s sensitive to that factor. Ironically, we don’t seem to be playing that many games at XL over Christmas break when it’s easier to do.

Reaction Score
I remember walking through Gampel one day in the early 2000's. Team was practicing...But Coach Calhoun saw me and gave me a polite-looking gesture to keep walking through and to leave.

I used to rollerblade on campus and the best spot was Gampel bc it was glass smooth. I had visions of blading around and around watching practice......I would never get more than one or two laps before coaches would yell or call security. Back then the campus police were really nice and they would gently gesture to leave. I think I got away with it 3-4 times then they locked the doors.....memories, sweet memories.....

Reaction Score
I used to rollerblade on campus and the best spot was Gampel bc it was glass smooth. I had visions of blading around and around watching practice......I would never get more than one or two laps before coaches would yell or call security. Back then the campus police were really nice and they would gently gesture to leave. I think I got away with it 3-4 times then they locked the doors.....memories, sweet memories.....
Oh, so you're the reason they ended up locking the Gampel doors so we couldn't get in anymore to watch scrimmages and practices. Thanks a lot, buddy. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Jim sent Karl to "ask" me to leave. Hobbsy was apologetic. So apparently you and I are the unsavory element on the board.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh, so you're the reason they ended up locking the Gampel doors so we couldn't get in anymore to watch scrimmages and practices. Thanks a lot, buddy. :)
Go in through the Field House like the rest of us.

Reaction Score
Go in through the Field House like the rest of us.
So one time we did get into the Field House to watch them practice. The year Nate Miles was there for a couple weeks. Gampel was set up for volleyball so they couldn't practice there. But you need to show your student ID to get in the Field House. Hilton Armstrong happened to be visiting that day so we followed him in and as he walked through we said we were with him. He didn't even know we said it. They let us in. We laughed about that one.

And by the way, the last time I tried to get from the Field House through the Gampel locker rooms into Gampel the doors to the locker room were locked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom