Eye on College Basketball Podcast - UConn talk | The Boneyard

Eye on College Basketball Podcast - UConn talk

Reaction Score
National podcast about college basketball. Worth a listen. About 10 minutes of UConn talk starts about the 18:45 mark. Finkelstein very high on UConn's recruiting and Stewart in particular. I still don't understand Stewart's ranking when all these recruiting analysts seem to love him.

(18:45) How has UConn built a top three class nationally and how have we seen their recruiting philosophy develop under Dan Hurley?
(20:00) How has UConn extended the geographic reach of their recruiting efforts within the last year?
(21:00) Why was Jaylin Stewart under-recruited and why will he be important for UConn?
(21:45) Could Adama Sanogo, Andre Jackson, and Jordan Hawkins all go pro after this season?
(23:30) Should UConn be considered a top-25 program in the country heading into the college season?
(25:00) Where will the UConn recruiting class end up nationally at the end of the year?
(27:00) How has recruiting impacted UConn’s offensive rating in recent years, which has improved each season since Hurley has arrived in Storrs?

Reaction Score
National podcast about college basketball. Worth a listen. About 10 minutes of UConn talk starts about the 18:45 mark. Finkelstein very high on UConn's recruiting and Stewart in particular. I still don't understand Stewart's ranking when all these recruiting analysts seem to love him.

(18:45) How has UConn built a top three class nationally and how have we seen their recruiting philosophy develop under Dan Hurley?
(20:00) How has UConn extended the geographic reach of their recruiting efforts within the last year?
(21:00) Why was Jaylin Stewart under-recruited and why will he be important for UConn?
(21:45) Could Adama Sanogo, Andre Jackson, and Jordan Hawkins all go pro after this season?
(23:30) Should UConn be considered a top-25 program in the country heading into the college season?
(25:00) Where will the UConn recruiting class end up nationally at the end of the year?
(27:00) How has recruiting impacted UConn’s offensive rating in recent years, which has improved each season since Hurley has arrived in Storrs?

Couldn't make it easier for us, thanks.

Reaction Score
Probably the most rational and sane take on the state of the program and what we should expect for the next few seasons. Adam is a good follow on twitter too - for those who don't know, he's a UConn alum and the director of scouting for 247...he knows his stuff.

Reaction Score
Probably the most rational and sane take on the state of the program and what we should expect for the next few seasons. Adam is a good follow on twitter too - for those who don't know, he's a UConn alum and the director of scouting for 247...he knows his stuff.
It's clear Finkelstein thinks Jaylin Stewart is wildly underrated which makes it strange that his site hasn't ranked him higher.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Usually when people claim every recruit that commits to us is under ranked, I roll me eyes cause every fan probably thinks that about their recruits. But Stewart seems like an exception, it’s like everyone knows he’s a baller but refuses to adjust.

Reaction Score
It's clear Finkelstein thinks Jaylin Stewart is wildly underrated which makes it strange that his site hasn't ranked him higher.
When is the next cycle of rankings updates? I thought one just happened somewhat recently, I'm sure he'll get another boost the next time

Reaction Score
When is the next cycle of rankings updates? I thought one just happened somewhat recently, I'm sure he'll get another boost the next time
He watched him on the EYBL circuit and they have already updated since then.

Reaction Score
Lots of love for our dogs..thanks for the post

One thing Finkelstein said caught me off guard. Said maybe UConn Achilles heel was their depth. Seems contrary to what DH is saying recently about our roster 1-9 ish. In true homer fashion I’m gonna trust the DH hype and disagree with Finkelstein on this one

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

One thing Finkelstein said caught me off guard. Said maybe UConn Achilles heel was their depth. Seems contrary to what DH is saying recently about our roster 1-9 ish. In true homer fashion I’m gonna trust the DH hype and disagree with Finkelstein on this one
I think Adam was suggesting that depth could come into effect if key injuries happen. But that could be said for most programs

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think Adam was suggesting that depth could come into effect if key injuries happen. But that could be said for most programs
I still think that's wrong, at least compared to recent history. We have depth at every spot on the floor, even if some of it is unproven. Just a guess that with his focus on recruiting, Adam may know less about the transfers who came in.

Reaction Score

Except he said the same thing last year…..

Reaction Score
Maybe he overlooked Newton/at the least he didn't mention him.

I like the depth on this squad - especially with the add of Calcaterra.

IMO, the only thing lacking is a lock-down defensive big. Yes, I understand Adama can block some shots and Donovan is over 7 feet tall.

Reaction Score
Well that makes sense. I was like "Finkelstein is a savant. He must have researched on the Boneyard before this interview. Wait, how does he remember everything about the program, the states our recruits from 20 years ago came from, etc."

Reaction Score
Maybe he overlooked Newton/at the least he didn't mention him.

I like the depth on this squad - especially with the add of Calcaterra.

IMO, the only thing lacking is a lock-down defensive big. Yes, I understand Adama can block some shots and Donovan is over 7 feet tall.

Maybe a lot of people are overlooking Alleyne? Something about his game I think we’re going to like a lot.

Reaction Score
He also seems to be underselling the value of the incoming portal guys. Not even a mention despite the fact that they have real D1 experience and metrics.
Well, he briefly mentioned Diarra but oddly there was no mention of Newton, Alleyne or Calcaterra. Personally, I would think Newton would be the first transfer that would come to mind.

Reaction Score

The self admitted Uconn hater was a bit annoying. Wasted time basically downplaying Uconns recruiting class by putting out hypotheticals on how it might not work out. smdh

Reaction Score
The self admitted Uconn hater was a bit annoying. Wasted time basically downplaying Uconns recruiting class by putting out hypotheticals on how it might not work out. smdh
It was as an attempt to have a back and forth. Kind of a schtick/bit since Adam is a clear UConn homer. Came off annoying to UConn fans but no one else would have cared at all.

Reaction Score
Well that makes sense. I was like "Finkelstein is a savant. He must have researched on the Boneyard before this interview. Wait, how does he remember everything about the program, the states our recruits from 20 years ago came from, etc."
Some say he’s here

Reaction Score
Well, he briefly mentioned Diarra but oddly there was no mention of Newton, Alleyne or Calcaterra. Personally, I would think Newton would be the first transfer that would come to mind.
I think he was just talking extemporaneously and didn't mention him.

Reaction Score
There is no way fink doesn’t have a BY account, if he’s active or not, that is the question.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It was as an attempt to have a back and forth. Kind of a schtick/bit since Adam is a clear UConn homer. Came off annoying to UConn fans but no one else would have cared at all.
Cobb was clear in admitting that his feelings about UConn are likely related to his being a Tennessee alum WBB fan who liked Pat Summit more than Geno. Adam was more than ready , and was secure enough to acknowledge Posh Alexander was a good example of 247 perhaps undervaluing under 6' players in their rankings (without adding that UConn's last 2 NCs featured shorter point guards).

To keep things clear and simple, Finkelstein saw no need to add everything about UConn's expanded recruiting footprint:

The 3 unmentioned transfers are from Texas, Georgia, California, and played at schools in North Carolina, Virginia, and California.

3 additional scholarship players come from outside the US - Togo (by way of New Jersey), Israel, and Greece.

Queens native Diarra prepped in CT, but transferred in from Texas.

And, as always, don't sleep on Springs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom