Extended Game Week - UConn vs. Holy Cross (8/31 @7:30p SNY) + Post Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Extended Game Week - UConn vs. Holy Cross (8/31 @7:30p SNY) + Post Game

Reaction Score

Interesting commentary on punter situation:
>>"Luke's done a good job of coming in but it has been tough on him with the whirlwind tour he was on to get here and also getting out there, getting with a snapper and holder for the first time in his career and all of those things. From that standpoint, I think he has done a fabulous job. I think he has the best upside in terms of strongest leg, height, hang time on his punts but I have to be smart when I make a decision to make sure I do what is right because I don't want to have somebody's confidence take a hit if they are not ready because sometimes that can backfire."<< (my emphasis).

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: UConn's Opener Will Bring New Team Into Focus

>>The Holy Cross game, like any opener, will provide answers that can't be found in any offseason setting. "It will be interesting to see how these guys play, how they react, because you just don't know," Edsall said. "You find out a lot of different things, how people react in different situations when they've never been out there. For me and for the staff, we don't know how any of them react because we haven't been around them in a real game situation."<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Edsall decided to make freshman Jordan Swann the punt and kick returner... I just see a guy who has a lot of confidence in his ability, a guy who has the ability to be able to make some plays. The job's not too big for him. He's smooth."

Really interested in seeing what Edsall see in him. We need more guys capable of making big plays. It would be good to see us actually getting yards on returns.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: UConn's Opener Will Bring New Team Into Focus

>>The Holy Cross game, like any opener, will provide answers that can't be found in any offseason setting. "It will be interesting to see how these guys play, how they react, because you just don't know," Edsall said. "You find out a lot of different things, how people react in different situations when they've never been out there. For me and for the staff, we don't know how any of them react because we haven't been around them in a real game situation."<<

This is an interesting quote because there might be one or two situations where the negative football philosophy from the past few years gets in the way of making quick decisions that involve some risk. That needs to come out in game 1 and get extinguished by the new staff immediately.

Some young guys are going to make mistakes for sure. But some guys are going to make plays which can be a good thing when you don't know what you don't know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Holy Cross Release: Crusaders To Open Season On Thursday At UConn

>>On the offensive side of the ball, Holy Cross returns 16 of the 22 players off last year’s final two-deep chart. They will look to build on what they did a year ago, averaging 356.0 yards of total offense, 23.5 points and 19.2 first downs per game. Fifth-year senior quarterback Peter Pujals returns to lead the Crusaders after missing the majority of the 2016 season due to injury. A first team All-Patriot League selection in 2015, Pujals has hit on 833 of 1,366 passes for 8,919 yards and 67 touchdowns during his collegiate career, while rushing 429 times for 1,605 yards and 16 scores. The offense also brings back fifth-year senior offensive lineman James Murray, who was named second team All-Patriot League in 2016.<<

>>On the defensive side of the ball, the Crusaders have six starters back on a unit with the potential to develop into one of the top defenses in the conference. Holy Cross gave up 414.6 yards and 32.3 points per game in 2016, and will look to improve upon those numbers this fall. Senior linebacker Nick McBeath will lead the way after being named first team All-Patriot League in 2016. McBeath led the Patriot League with 106 tackles last season, to go along with eight tackles for loss, a sack, a forced fumble and a pass breakup.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He's actually not that bad as game analyst - his talk radio noise/schtick was too much.

For the many recent years Boneyarders have moaned about Gresh calling games I thought to myself the same, that he's not that bad. Then the CRA and B12 expansion hysteria blew up last summer and we got to see just how little he knows about the world off the field. Fair or not, he lost me during that process. Anyways, it seems its a real short list to get a color guys to do these types of games....as in there is Gresh or Gresh...or Gresh.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
IMG_4112.JPG
Excited for Taylor Rooks to be patrolling the sidelines...

Reaction Score

>>UConn Athletics announced Monday that the Funky Dawgz Brass Band will perform on stage at Fan Fest prior to the UConn Football season opener on Thursday August 31, which kicks off at 7:30 p.m.

The New Orleans-style Funky Dawgz Brass Band is made up of UConn alums who say they are on a mission to “rejuvenate music.” Emerging from Connecticut, these young men have engulfed the spirit and traditions of New Orleans as well as earned the respect from local musicians who grew up and reside in the city. It is impossible not to enjoy yourself during a show as they play a contagious upbeat mix of traditional New Orleans R&B, original music, hip hop, funk, and today’s top hits with a brass twist.

The free performance will take place at Fan Fest, which has a new location this season - just outside of Pratt & Whitney Stadium between Gates C & D (opposite the press tower). Fan Fest kicks off with the football team’s arrival at Husky Walk at approximately 5:00 p.m. in the same location. Fans are encouraged to line up and greet the players and coaching staff as they make their way into the stadium. The Funky Dawgz will take the stage following Husky Walk. Click here to see a stadium map with the new location. Also at Fan Fest, the UConn Men’s Hockey team will be signing autographs from 6:00 – 6:45 p.m. Other family-friendly activities include an obstacle course, inflatables, giveaways and more!<<

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

>>UConn Athletics announced Monday that the Funky Dawgz Brass Band will perform on stage at Fan Fest prior to the UConn Football season opener on Thursday August 31, which kicks off at 7:30 p.m.

The New Orleans-style Funky Dawgz Brass Band is made up of UConn alums who say they are on a mission to “rejuvenate music.” Emerging from Connecticut, these young men have engulfed the spirit and traditions of New Orleans as well as earned the respect from local musicians who grew up and reside in the city. It is impossible not to enjoy yourself during a show as they play a contagious upbeat mix of traditional New Orleans R&B, original music, hip hop, funk, and today’s top hits with a brass twist.

The free performance will take place at Fan Fest, which has a new location this season - just outside of Pratt & Whitney Stadium between Gates C & D (opposite the press tower). Fan Fest kicks off with the football team’s arrival at Husky Walk at approximately 5:00 p.m. in the same location. Fans are encouraged to line up and greet the players and coaching staff as they make their way into the stadium. The Funky Dawgz will take the stage following Husky Walk. Click here to see a stadium map with the new location. Also at Fan Fest, the UConn Men’s Hockey team will be signing autographs from 6:00 – 6:45 p.m. Other family-friendly activities include an obstacle course, inflatables, giveaways and more!<<

@mikedog10

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom