Experimental Rules Coming to 2017 NIT | The Boneyard

Experimental Rules Coming to 2017 NIT

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
NIT experiment resetting fouls mimics quarters

Since we have a good shot at playing in the NIT this season....
The NIT will try experimental rules that attempt to mimic going to 4 quarters while still playing halves by resettting the fouls at the beginning of each half and at 9:59 left of each half and getting rid of the one and one as teams will go straight to 2 shots after the 5th foul is committed in each ten minute period. 2 shots after the 4th foul in OT. Another change is resetting the shot clock to 20 if the ball is inbounded in the front court if equal or greater time remains. These changes should make things interesting to say the least and confuse the hell out of people.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
NIT experiment resetting fouls mimics quarters

Since we have a good shot at playing in the NIT this season...
The NIT will try experimental rules that attempt to mimic going to 4 quarters while still playing halves by resettting the fouls at the beginning of each half and at 9:59 left of each half and getting rid of the one and one as teams will go straight to 2 shots after the 5th foul is committed in each ten minute period. 2 shots after the 4th foul in OT. Another change is resetting the shot clock to 20 if the ball is inbounded in the front court if equal or greater time remains. These changes should make things interesting to say the least and confuse the hell out of people.

Sounds like a ridiculous thing to do in a post season tournament. What a farce.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Did that foul happen at 9:59 or 9:59.50?
To the monitor!!!
For 42 minutes.
Let's see Bob, are we looking for when the foul occurred, or when you blew the whistle?

Reaction Score
Me personally I really like the 1-1, might not be popular opinion since it almost costed it us the game the other night, missing 3 front ends in a row in the last minute or so. But I would be disappointed if they got rid of that. It makes free throw shooting way more important, especially at the end of games.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Eliminating 1 and 1 reduces the incentive to hack away at the end of games.

I wish they eliminated time outs, too.
Fully agree on TOs, they need to be reduced to 1 30 sec in the first half, and 1 full and 1 30 in the second half. The usage of TOs and the over coaching in CBB is ridiculous.

Also, to the OP, I think saying we have a "good" shot at playing in the NIT is a huuuuuge stretch. We are not close right now

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Fully agree on TOs, they need to be reduced to 1 30 sec in the first half, and 1 full and 1 30 in the second half. The usage of TOs and the over coaching in CBB is ridiculous.

Also, to the OP, I think saying we have a "good" shot at playing in the NIT is a huuuuuge stretch. We are not close right now

There is such an easy rule change to help the timeout situation, i don't know why it's not adopted.

Grant a timeout no matter what. A close call with out-of-bounds? Held ball? If they granted the timeout, no matter what the outcome, timeouts as strategy would dip dramatically. The conditional calling of it makes it a zero-penalty play. Make it granted in any case, and people will stop doing them.

Reaction Score
There is such an easy rule change to help the timeout situation, i don't know why it's not adopted.

Grant a timeout no matter what. A close call with out-of-bounds? Held ball? If they granted the timeout, no matter what the outcome, timeouts as strategy would dip dramatically. The conditional calling of it makes it a zero-penalty play. Make it granted in any case, and people will stop doing them.
I have no idea what you are saying, it reads that timeouts are automatic after every stoppage in play? Or just 'questionable' (determined by who?) ones! And this is supposed to reduce timeouts? Hoping we missed the 2nd half of your idea...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I have no idea what you are saying, it reads that timeouts are automatic after every stoppage in play? Or just 'questionable' (determined by who?) ones! And this is supposed to reduce timeouts? Hoping we missed the 2nd half of your idea..
Example:

Player is just about to get whistled for tied up ball. Ref whistles jumpball. Right now, the timeout gets ignored. In my scenario, the timeout gets accepted, then the jump ball happens.

Reaction Score
I only watch a handful of women's games a year, but the four quarters are such a breath of fresh air. The break between quarters creates a built-in timeout, which helps eliminate the ridiculousness of a TV timeout every 4 minutes. (I believe they have fewer timeouts overall, too.)

I wouldn't mind seeing 1-and-1 stay for fouls 5 and 6 of each quarter, but the foul reset is badly needed. Games right now screech to a crawl when teams are in the bonus for 10+ minutes.

All in all, this move is a no-brainer.

Reaction Score
I only watch a handful of women's games a year, but the four quarters are such a breath of fresh air. The break between quarters creates a built-in timeout, which helps eliminate the ridiculousness of a TV timeout every 4 minutes. (I believe they have fewer timeouts overall, too.)

I wouldn't mind seeing 1-and-1 stay for fouls 5 and 6 of each quarter, but the foul reset is badly needed. Games right now screech to a crawl when teams are in the bonus for 10+ minutes.

NCAA men are the only league in world that don't play quarters. NBA, high school, women's(pro and college) and international all play quarters.

Reaction Score

So a forced stoppage of play is better than a timeout during a natural stoppage of play? I don't get that at all and find the game very choppy with 4quarters. You've doubled the amount of clock running down scenarios where teams are heaving the ball at the rim = that's not really basketball.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
NCAA men are the only league in world that don't play quarters. NBA, high school, women's(pro and college) and international all play quarters.
Yep, your right. I bet Adams will relish the 4 quarters. Like another time out. I remember when it was 4 quarters. I am not sure about the other experimental changes.
Sounds confusing.

Reaction Score
So a forced stoppage of play is better than a timeout during a natural stoppage of play? I don't get that at all and find the game very choppy with 4quarters. You've doubled the amount of clock running down scenarios where teams are heaving the ball at the rim = that's not really basketball.
There are already forced stoppages of play every 4 minutes - it doesn't get choppier than that.

Adding in the break between quarters eliminates one timeout, so you have longer stretches of actual game play.

Reaction Score
Example:

Player is just about to get whistled for tied up ball. Ref whistles jumpball. Right now, the timeout gets ignored. In my scenario, the timeout gets accepted, then the jump ball happens.
Maybe I'm dense, but still don't get it.
Ok so I think you mean an official timeout is called automatically (by refs) on any held ball (or only in last x minutes?) and then we have a change of possession jump ball. But exactly how does this reduce timeouts?

Reaction Score
There are already forced stoppages of play every 4 minutes - it doesn't get choppier than that.

Adding in the break between quarters eliminates one timeout, so you have longer stretches of actual game play.
100% agree about flow, I think the running 20 minutes is a unique cool thing that is great about college basketball.
The stoppages are NOT automatic, they occur when the game naturally stops due to fouls, out of bounds or other. There are plenty of times where the game flow blows way past the required TO timeline. And regardless, the advertisers are going to mandate a certain # of timeouts - ultimately the trade would be one-for-one, a forced stoppage versus automatic TV timeout when the game clock stops. It'd be interesting to look at # of stoppages in televised women's vs men's games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom