Expectations | The Boneyard

Expectations

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If you had a bad day at work and your boss treated you the way you want UConn treated when they have a bad day you wouldnt like it. On top of that if you co workers reemphasized it by tearing you down you would be hurt. Think about that. The only thing that has to be done is play the experienced players and work the underclassman in. The experienced players need to regain their chemistry and confidence and that will help the underclassman catch on. Team chemistry, cohesiveness, and confidence in what the team is doing is what we need right now. Execution flows with the upper classman because they know Genos system. The underclassman are still learning and against a good team their lack of experience shows. The underclassman dont have the experience yet so work them in.

This is not a microwave where you can pop a player in and they will change the game. The underclassman dont have the experience in college games especially against the better teams. They need to be worked in slowly until they catch on. Our underclassman will have good games and fans will think theyre the next coming and they will have off games and fans will want to throw them on the end of the bench. Remember we have great players who sat out last season and although they're back theyre not playing up to your expectations or theirs and they know it. Its gonna take time.

We've got Maryland UCLA and Kansas coming up. I dont think we will play as poorly as we did at NC State. This is a growing and learning experience and by that I mean its gonna take time to get us up to speed. We are better then we showed and thats the bottom line. We fans need to be patient and maybe lower our expectations until we get up to speed. We certainly have the talent. Understand we scored alot of points and gave up even more. We shoot better from here on out I dont think theres a team that can keep up with us. This doom and gloom is just bringing everybody down. Many of you are spiraling down. We need to set our expectations of this team at another level and that is a level your comfortable with. Accept the team for what they are right now because when they start clicking look out.

Reaction Score
If you had a bad day at work and your boss treated you the way you want UConn treated when they have a bad day you wouldnt like it. On top of that if you co workers reemphasized it by tearing you down you would be hurt. Think about that. The only thing that has to be done is play the experienced players and work the underclassman in. The experienced players need to regain their chemistry and confidence and that will help the underclassman catch on. Team chemistry, cohesiveness, and confidence in what the team is doing is what we need right now. Execution flows with the upper classman because they know Genos system. The underclassman are still learning and against a good team their lack of experience shows. The underclassman dont have the experience yet so work them in.

This is not a microwave where you can pop a player in and they will change the game. The underclassman dont have the experience in college games especially against the better teams. They need to be worked in slowly until they catch on. Our underclassman will have good games and fans will think theyre the next coming and they will have off games and fans will want to throw them on the end of the bench. Remember we have great players who sat out last season and although they're back theyre not playing up to your expectations or theirs and they know it. Its gonna take time.

We've got Maryland UCLA and Kansas coming up. I dont think we will play as poorly as we did at NC State. This is a growing and learning experience and by that I mean its gonna take time to get us up to speed. We are better then we showed and thats the bottom line. We fans need to be patient and maybe lower our expectations until we get up to speed. We certainly have the talent. Understand we scored alot of points and gave up even more. We shoot better from here on out I dont think theres a team that can keep up with us. This doom and gloom is just bringing everybody down. Many of you are spiraling down. We need to set our expectations of this team at another level and that is a level your comfortable with. Accept the team for what they are right now because when they start clicking look out.
I agree that the players will grow but the core of this team has been around each other for three years so their chemistry is what it is. I think the team played less than they are capable but my big take away from that game was the coaching staff had nothing when it came to creatively getting the team back on track.

Reaction Score
Of our "experienced" players, only Paige played as expected (or actually above expectations since she is supposed to be being brought along slowly)! Freshman "Q", as inexperienced as she is, outplayed her remaining five "experienced" teammates! Her overall game of course needs polishing, but she plays without fear and has proven that practice stats of shooting brilliance means absolutely nothing unless you bring it to the games with you. Caroline and Azzi aren't doing that! So, so much for needing "experience" to win. You play the hot hand(s) whomever they are! Sometimes "experienced" players need to be told, "take a seat on the end of the bench" in order to build that competitive fire again. A little embarrassment never hurt anyone. Neither did a few losses if that's what it's going to take for this team to start jelling.

If the team plays as they did against NC State ... "shell-shocked", there's a big possibility we could lose several of the next three games!

Reaction Score

Tony, I wouldn't be surprised if they win the rest of the their games. Talent on this team to me is unequaled by any other team and that is why it is frustrating when they perform like they did in game two. In that game the only player that played with urgency down the stretch was Paige and that will need to change. Sometimes hating to lose is more important than loving to win.

I love Geno and think he is in a class all his own when it comes to coaching. In that game it looked to me like he was willing to take a loss to teach the team a lesson and that is where my frustration about the game came from. I expect young players to have off games, or get a little over confident but I also expect the coaching staff at that time to step up and get them back on track.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score

I think the fair weather fans feel sorry for themselves. The Team let them down, how dare they. Had their hearts set on a perfect season, and the kids, Geno, and his coaches spoiled it for them. So now, these kids are no good, Geno can't coach. I have been a Uconn fan for more than 30 years, and I don't remember such an out pouring of venom. Are people so unhappy in their lives, that they need these young athletes to give them hope. Grow up, these kids have more talent than many of you can only dream about. I love watching the games, and yes sometimes it can be disappointing. But, I have driven to Ohio State, from Cleveland, Ohio and to Cincinnati, ohio (4 1/2 hours) to see them play Xavier. Just enjoy a great team and a great coach, or find another hobby.

Reaction Score
By the way, anybody notice that Kim Mulkey benched Angel Reese for the entire second half of their Kent State game.
Sorry to hijack this thread but, yeah. I was watching that game. 1). Thank goodness it was against Kent State. 2). MiKayla Williams had a monster game. 3). Shot selection was the reasoning for the benching. 4). Coach Mulkey gave the team the "Come to Jesus" speech after their loss to Colorado. Pretty much for Reese to step up and be a leader. But it was directed to the team.

Back to the topic :)

Reaction Score
I think the fair weather fans feel sorry for themselves. The Team let them down, how dare they. Had their hearts set on a perfect season, and the kids, Geno, and his coaches spoiled it for them. So now, these kids are no good, Geno can't coach. I have been a Uconn fan for more than 30 years, and I don't remember such an out pouring of venom. Are people so unhappy in their lives, that they need these young athletes to give them hope. Grow up, these kids have more talent than many of you can only dream about. I love watching the games, and yes sometimes it can be disappointing. But, I have driven to Ohio State, from Cleveland, Ohio and to Cincinnati, ohio (4 1/2 hours) to see them play Xavier. Just enjoy a great team and a great coach, or find another hobby.
I also have been a fan since the 90's. The expectations for this particular team was way off the charts. Obviously the expectations were not met in game #2 for the majority, but pointing that out is not venom, its realistic reaction when expectation does not mesh with outcome. Your opinion is just that, yours and yours only. You can travel to far away places to see UConn play and you think that somehow makes you a better person/fan than those who you say need to grow up, I don't think so

Reaction Score

Pretty solid comments, especially the last part. The team will be fine in the long run. They will adjust and keep improving. Next month, we will look back at this NC State and won't even remember what happened. Well, some of us will still be holding this game but for the rest of us, we will have moved on. Focusing on the next game.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I also have been a fan since the 90's. The expectations for this particular team was way off the charts. Obviously the expectations were not met in game #2 for the majority, but pointing that out is not venom, its realistic reaction when expectation does not mesh with outcome. Your opinion is just that, yours and yours only. You can travel to far away places to see UConn play and you think that somehow makes you a better person/fan than those who you say need to grow up, I don't think so
If you think expectations equals attacking these athletes, you a a great fan. And no, me traveling to games does not make me be a better person, but, not attacking these kids like I have read in social media, makes me a better person. By the way, it was not expectations that I was reading in social media, it was nasty remarks, degrading their abilities, questioning Geno and his coaches, that they had no idea what they were doing. Those were childish attacks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boy, the boneyard is a rough place after a loss! ‘Expectations lead to resentments‘ is something I heard years ago. I can hope a team wins every game yet I can’t expect them to. UConn fans sometimes have very unrealistic expectations. Everyone is different. I just love women’s basketball and the gift Geno Auriemma has given to the basketball world. I loved Pat Summit also. That being said, the team winning or losing has no bearing on my life. The sun will still rise and set even if the team loses every game this year. Looking forward to Maryland -UConn on Thursday. Go huskies!

Reaction Score
If you think expectations equals attacking these athletes, you a a great fan. And no, me traveling to games does not make me be a better person, but, not attacking these kids like I have read in social media, makes me a better person. By the way, it was not expectations that I was reading in social media, it was nasty remarks, degrading their abilities, questioning Geno and his coaches, that they had no idea what they were doing. Those were childish attacks.
I saw no "attacking" of athletes in any posts. I saw recommendations for new starting 5 and critiques of certain players performances but no attacks. Isn't that why there is a fan forum in the first place ? It's okay to have a different opinion on how one reacts to a poor performance, but misconstruing ones opinion as attacking players is a bridge too far.

Reaction Score
I saw no "attacking" of athletes in any posts. I saw recommendations for new starting 5 and critiques of certain players performances but no attacks. Isn't that why there is a fan forum in the first place ? It's okay to have a different opinion on how one reacts to a poor performance, but misconstruing ones opinion as attacking players is a bridge too far.
Yep. At the end of the day we are all fans of the program and want the best for everyone. Having an opinion on a forum about the performance of a player isn't a personal attack and I guarantee it's something that the coaches have probably already said to them anyway (and that they likely know about themselves!). When you play sports on the national level like UConn (or any other top programs), you already know people will have opinions about you. We BYers aren't going and harassing them on their personal social media accounts -- or in person.

If you think the WBB section of the BY is that harsh, please don't venture into the MBB section ... or, God forbid, the football section ...

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I was referring to "SOCIAL MEDIA", not the boneyard.

Reaction Score
Isn’t “fan” a shortened version of “fanatic”?
Yeah,we tend to go from giddy exaltation to resentful gloom in the blink of an eye.
The crime the Huskies were guilty of last Sunday was not playing as well as we thought they could.
Some of the stuff I’ve heard since then is pretty rough, but probably no worse than what the Huskies have been telling themselves.
Geno will have a few pungent observations and will not be shy about expressing them.
I’m giving it all a pause until Wednesday to see how ( if?) they bounce back against Maryland.
Nothing erases a bad taste in one’s mouth like the enjoyment of a tastier, more satisfying morsel.
They can’t undo the dismal showing against NC State, but they (and we) must file it under “ lesson on how NOT to do it” and move on.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with you, but I don't think it's just the fair weather fans. (I'm in the 25+ years club so I have no skin in that game either) Some long-time fans have very unrealistic expectations and behave this way too.

Reaction Score
I was referring to "SOCIAL MEDIA", not the boneyard.
Ummm....you do realize that the Boneyard IS social media. You can't really separate it because the same stuff that lives on social media lives here, albeit limited to mostly text.

I do agree with you that some people definitely go too far and do go over the line where it's no longer just a reflection of performance. I'd be shocked if the vast majority on this board wouldn't admit they've read something they thought was over the line. I think most people would agree that's not OK. As @Cornell Lt pointed out though, that's not what most folks here are doing. Are there people being extra about lineups and all that? Of course, but stuff like that isn't attacking...just dramatic. :)

Reaction Score
Isn’t “fan” a shortened version of “fanatic”?
Yeah,we tend to go from giddy exaltation to resentful gloom in the blink of an eye.

The crime the Huskies were guilty of last Sunday was not playing as well as we thought they could.
Some of the stuff I’ve heard since then is pretty rough, but probably no worse than what the Huskies have been telling themselves.
Geno will have a few pungent observations and will not be shy about expressing them.
I’m giving it all a pause until Wednesday to see how ( if?) they bounce back against Maryland.
Nothing erases a bad taste in one’s mouth like the enjoyment of a tastier, more satisfying morsel.
They can’t undo the dismal showing against NC State, but they (and we) must file it under “ lesson on how NOT to do it” and move on.
A simple "like" is insufficient.

This is an outstanding post! Simply outstanding.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno would not keep a hot shooter in the game if the team was winning by 40, whereas Mulkey would.
Eh, he's done it before.

He let Moore ring up Syracuse one night back in 2009. 40 points in 36 minutes in a 107-53 game.

Reaction Score
All I can say is that I was SO glad I didn't go to the chat room on Sunday. It was nice watching a game w/o commentary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom