Expectations: Tyrese Martin | The Boneyard

Expectations: Tyrese Martin

Reaction Score
Following the 2019-20 season, he followed his vibe for a bigger stage and followed his original URI coach to UConn. Tyrese Martin eventually got going with a 22/10 double dip vs. DePaul and then seamlessly sewed himself into the lineup, providing similar historical numbers against a higher level of competition. A 6'6" tweener, he possesses a shock absorber body and provides a mature presence.

Five Things we have seen:

* Beast of the boards. When he was not scoring, he was lurking in the paint, pulling down and putting back up a team high 3 ORBs a game. Second chances are emotionally lifting but he depressingly​
bricked many.​
* Strength and length and above the rim. When you add relentlessness to these traits you see through to a plus player around the glass, a coater of the paint preventing entry, nabbing steals and​
blocking smaller 2Gs. Plus-strong for a wing.​
* Corner ‘3’-er. Dish satellite down low. Put-backs. No wiggle, craftiness or touch in him and stiff in the shoulders but a smart, skilled hunk for a rockfight.​
* Can do go-to. Became the team’s first option when Bouk was out with injury. On a team bereft of creators he was able to find shots.​
* Among the most productive transfers in team history. Led the team in rebounding and was the 3rd leading scorer. Came from URI with understanding of the Hurley system and a multi-faceted game.​
He parlayed that into 30 mpg on an NCAA tournament team.​

Five Things we expect:

* With no clear #1 we will score more as a collective. As Sanogo wheels look for TMart trailing. If Cole spins into a cobweb look for him in the open corner. If no one springs open look for him to demand the ball. He will also take any open look he sees.​
* A close-up of his relatively low ceiling. High ceilings are reserved for the uber-talented and those late to the game. In fact, we may already know what he can and cannot do.​
* Boards appearing nightly. He had 5 or more rebounds every game but one (4 vs. DePaul.)​
* Fewer disappearing acts. See: 2 and 2 in 2 of 3 Creighton games, zippo and zilch vs. Marquette and Seton Hall and 2 vs. Maryland in the NCAAs. Went 1/17 from ‘3’ his last 8 games.​
His self-evaluation is to be “… a killer at all times.”​
* A leaner machine. Workouts show he’s lost weight perhaps indicating he’ll be on the wing more. We will need someone to be a consistent '3' threat.​

Summary

A versatile performer, he finds multiple paths to score inside and out. His length helps defend the paint and he distributes well. Hardly reminds you of Marques Haynes with the ball (substitute Kyrie for those going “Who?”.) Martin should fine tune the proven while tuning out the unlikely agility and touch tries.​
He can be overmatched. Will that serve to resolve an inner challenge or be a limitation? He was also a member of the victims of the slump epidemic late last year. This needs to be vaccinated by the coaching staff.​
Will this senior be playing for pro or NIL money? Shizzle, my nizzle. Aren’t they all?​

Reaction Score
I feel like he has the widest range of potential outcomes of any of the former starters.

If Andre/Whaley step up and make big gains in their shooting and Rese doesn't he may see his minutes drop completely. If no one gets better, he'll probably play 25 based on his toughness and rebounding. But his shooting and % at the rim were NOT good last year.

If Rese can hit a better % at the rim and be more 35% than 25% shooting the rock he'll play a lot. 25 mins or more.

Just like any of these guys... the 3s and 4s that shoot well will play. We need space for Sanogo to operate desperately.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gotta disagree strongly with #2 bullet for his strengths. He was an extremely poor finisher near the rim and struggles scoring near the rim against better teams.
Couple that with shooting below 70% from FT in each of his college seasons and him being a slightly below average 3 pt shooter and you have a limited offensive player against NCAA level teams.

What he can do is rebound, run, and defend. And he is real good at all of them.

I'd really like Jackson, Gaff, Hawkins and even Polley to step up and take some of Martin's minutes from him. I do know Martin is going to compete for and earn every minute he plays. He's not going to lose minutes, players will hopefully have to jump him to gain minutes. I really like Martin as a 15 mpg player and being the 4-man in a real go small lineup where he can still rebound effectively and run.

Reaction Score
In my Polley comments . I mentioned a guy with Martin game gets a better lane when that Big has to cover a shooter in the corner. Who ever is on that wing as long as they command respect has to identify Martin ability to either be open for a short jumper or go to the hoop. He will get fouled a lot and his FT shooting has to get better
He along with Whaley are probably the two best offensive rebounders
He should play like anyone else too his strengths. Shooting three’s when wide open is okay but that’s not his strength. Letting shooters create room for his drives and pull-ups are.
Like I mentioned before he should be going to the hoop on every UConn shot as offensive rebounding is a big strength.

Reaction Score
He's probably our best on ball wing defender and one of the best rebounders in the conference. He's also shown the ability to get to the rim (if not to consistently finish there, although the stats are merely below average rather than bad... he just misses some real noticeable bunnies). Over half his shots came at the rim last season. If needed, he can play with the ball in his hands (like the Depaul game), but I like that he contributes even when not on the ball.

He competes like hell and I like the tone that sets for the rest of the team.

As mentioned, he just needs to be a 34/35% from 3 on low volume to create some space.

Reaction Score
Looks like he's slimmed down a little bit since last year. If that translates into more explosion around the rim in traffic-Would really help. Clearly he can rebound-But after collecting the O rebound and putting it back on the rim in traffic (last year) -%'s were lower than they should have been.

DH likes his junk-yard mentality/toughness. He will compete to maintain his PT. A glue guy that every team needs.

Reaction Score
I like Tyrese Martin a lot. His toughness is infectious and he's a heck of a rebounder.

In terms of statistics, I see a bit of a regression due to a slight decline in minutes.

He'll still be a super valuable player, but I see him finishing off w/ a season pretty similar to Shonn Miller's grad transfer season: 9p, 6r, 25 mpg (but less blocks and 3p% efficiency than Miller).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Gotta disagree strongly with #2 bullet for his strengths. He was an extremely poor finisher near the rim and struggles scoring near the rim against better teams.
Yeah, I'm not sure he won't be one of the players losing PT this year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not sure he won't be one of the players losing PT this year.

My perspective is Martin will compete and earn every minute he can squeeze out of the 2, 3 and 4 spot. So, if his minutes do go down it's because other player forced to the bench. That is always good when a program is trying to achieve higher goals.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hoping the other guys play him out of the lineup. I think we know what he is, expecting him to suddenly not be that player after 3 years doesn't make sense.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There is always a place for someone like Martin but unfortunate for him but fortunate for the team, there is a guy named Hawkins who will take a lot of minutes. If Martin can come in and do the things he does best - defend and rebound he will get appreciable minutes but not as many as in the past

Reaction Score
I really liked Martin last year. He's tough and always around the ball and around the rim. He had a few wow games and a few total clunkers. He plays hard. I would expect him to be a good contributor this year and help the team win some games. I would be surprised if he ended up being pivotal to the team's success or failure. If he has a really good year and everyone is healthy he could be exactly what the team needs. Good teams have guys like Martin who can come in and make a difference in a game here and there or spot start when they are short players. And every once in a while take over a game.

Reaction Score
I really like Tyrese because of his defensive toughness, hustle, and rebounding but his offensive game is what it is at this point. If he can make half the bunnies he missed last season and shoot the 3 at a ~33% clip he’ll be a solid contributor this season.

I’m hoping sometime midway through the season Andre emerges as the starting SF, but Rese can provided a much needed spark off the bench.

Reaction Score
You know what you are getting with Tyrese - he's going to physically dominate lower level opponents and have a great deal of success by just being a beast.

His problem historically has been when teams improve and opponents can match his size/physicality - those games he tends to dissapear as his skill set is inconsistent. Everything from finishing at the rim, shooting the three, handle - it all really swings wildly with his confidence level.

The nice thing is you know you are getting defense and rebounding every night - so you can put that in the bank and hope to either level up his skills/confidence or find a role on this team where the wild swings don't manifest - say as a 4th or 5th option rather than 1st or 2nd.

Love having him on the team, will enjoy him beasting - hope he takes a big step up this year!

Reaction Score
I feel like he has the widest range of potential outcomes of any of the former starters.

If Andre/Whaley step up and make big gains in their shooting and Rese doesn't he may see his minutes drop completely. If no one gets better, he'll probably play 25 based on his toughness and rebounding. But his shooting and % at the rim were NOT good last year.

If Rese can hit a better % at the rim and be more 35% than 25% shooting the rock he'll play a lot. 25 mins or more.

Just like any of these guys... the 3s and 4s that shoot well will play. We need space for Sanogo to operate desperately.

We have a lot of dudes that could do nothing this year - or could become starters. Saying that Tyrese Martin has the widest range of outcomes is pretty crazy.

For example -
  • Hawkins - Bench Microwave or Bouk2?
  • Akok - 4th Big or starter?
  • Sanogo - starter or takes jump to "the wall" status
  • AJax - versatile/inconsistent or "college Ben Simmons"?

I think Tyrese's "wild range" outcomes are either 13 pts 8 reb (great year) or 11pts 7 reb(bad year) ... He's going to get a lot of minutes because Hurley loves rugged versatile players... and he's a remarkably consistent performer with limited upside, particularly on defense and rebounding. Guy is a machine there.

Reaction Score
We have a lot of dudes that could do nothing this year - or could become starters. Saying that Tyrese Martin has the widest range of outcomes is pretty crazy.

For example -
  • Hawkins - Bench Microwave or Bouk2?
  • Akok - 4th Big or starter?
  • Sanogo - starter or takes jump to "the wall" status
  • AJax - versatile/inconsistent or "college Ben Simmons"?

I think Tyrese's "wild range" outcomes are either 13 pts 8 reb (great year) or 11pts 7 reb(bad year) ... He's going to get a lot of minutes because Hurley loves rugged versatile players... and he's a remarkably consistent performer with limited upside, particularly on defense and rebounding. Guy is a machine there.

Read my post. I said OF THE FORMER STARTERS he has the greatest range. Andre has the greatest range.of outcomes out of anyone on the team IMO. Cole is a 30mpg guy by necessity. Whaley and Sanogo are both getting their minutes for sure because they play the 5 and Whaley is too good defensively to sit... just less competitiob for all those dudes.

Rese could very well put up WAY less than 11 and 7 simply because there's a higher chance his minutes drop than those other former starters due to competition. 13 and 8 is probably close to his max.

If 2nd half of the season shooting continues for Rese (25% or so) and Andre and Whaley both improve from the 3 point line, there's just not going to be minutes for Rese to play. It's probably not likely that all that happens... but it isn't out of the question.

Reaction Score
If Reese isn’t getting minutes, we have a very good problem. I thought he got worn out last year bc of Covid/lack of conditioning but I expected him to come back stronger this year.

Reaction Score
Following the 2019-20 season, he followed his vibe for a bigger stage and followed his original URI coach to UConn. Tyrese Martin eventually got going with a 22/10 double dip vs. DePaul and then seamlessly sewed himself into the lineup, providing similar historical numbers against a higher level of competition. A 6'6" tweener, he possesses a shock absorber body and provides a mature presence.

Five Things we have seen:

* Beast of the boards. When he was not scoring, he was lurking in the paint, pulling down and putting back up a team high 3 ORBs a game. Second chances are emotionally lifting but he depressingly​
bricked many.​
* Strength and length and above the rim. When you add relentlessness to these traits you see through to a plus player around the glass, a coater of the paint preventing entry, nabbing steals and​
blocking smaller 2Gs. Plus-strong for a wing.​
* Corner ‘3’-er. Dish satellite down low. Put-backs. No wiggle, craftiness or touch in him and stiff in the shoulders but a smart, skilled hunk for a rockfight.​
* Can do go-to. Became the team’s first option when Bouk was out with injury. On a team bereft of creators he was able to find shots.​
* Among the most productive transfers in team history. Led the team in rebounding and was the 3rd leading scorer. Came from URI with understanding of the Hurley system and a multi-faceted game.​
He parlayed that into 30 mpg on an NCAA tournament team.​

Five Things we expect:

* With no clear #1 we will score more as a collective. As Sanogo wheels look for TMart trailing. If Cole spins into a cobweb look for him in the open corner. If no one springs open look for him to demand the ball. He will also take any open look he sees.​
* A close-up of his relatively low ceiling. High ceilings are reserved for the uber-talented and those late to the game. In fact, we may already know what he can and cannot do.​
* Boards appearing nightly. He had 5 or more rebounds every game but one (4 vs. DePaul.)​
* Fewer disappearing acts. See: 2 and 2 in 2 of 3 Creighton games, zippo and zilch vs. Marquette and Seton Hall and 2 vs. Maryland in the NCAAs. Went 1/17 from ‘3’ his last 8 games.​
His self-evaluation is to be “… a killer at all times.”​
* A leaner machine. Workouts show he’s lost weight perhaps indicating he’ll be on the wing more. We will need someone to be a consistent '3' threat.​

Summary

A versatile performer, he finds multiple paths to score inside and out. His length helps defend the paint and he distributes well. Hardly reminds you of Marques Haynes with the ball (substitute Kyrie for those going “Who?”.) Martin should fine tune the proven while tuning out the unlikely agility and touch tries.​
He can be overmatched. Will that serve to resolve an inner challenge or be a limitation? He was also a member of the victims of the slump epidemic late last year. This needs to be vaccinated by the coaching staff.​
Will this senior be playing for pro or NIL money? Shizzle, my nizzle. Aren’t they all?​
Hopefully he has practiced and perfected a softer touch with his put-back layups after getting a rebound. He missed so many of those over the course of last season and had he made half of those misses IMO his PPG would have probably increased 4 to 6 points!

Reaction Score
I think I agree with the idea that the less that Tyrese is an offensive focal point and more of a complimentary scorer, rebounder and overall scrappy, tough player, the better off we are. He can step up and score points if he needs to, just not efficiently. I think if we see Tyrese as 1st or second highest scorer we won't have as good a year as if we see him has as the third or fourth scorer. If we get what we got last year, plus a little more consistency I will be happy.

Reaction Score
He plays hard but doesn’t shoot well. If he is playing 30 mpg we are in trouble. I think he is in if we go to a small lineup to be the rebounder and if we are getting dominated up front he comes in to try and help out.

We really have several guys who will make or break us depending on what they do. Jackson, Akok, and the freshmen obviously. This guy isn’t one of those. We know what he is. He is like RJ. Not great. Not awful. Kind of predictable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom