Expectations: RJ Cole | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Expectations: RJ Cole

Reaction Score
You might as well include his high school stats too…good grief, you include his 2 years in the MEAC where he was the best player on the worst team in the worst team. If he didn’t play for UConn you’d be claiming this stat was totally bogus. I guess another way of looking at it using this data is he had an awful season. His scoring average was only half what it was the previous 2 seasons. LOL. Of course that is dumb just like using his MEAC results to claim he is great is dumb.

He is a very average D1 point. Honestly better than I thought he’d be, but if You replaced him with almost any other average point the results would be comparable. Back in the day, there was a thing called the gentleman’s C. That applies to RJ Coles

Reaction Score
You might as well include his high school stats too…good grief, you include his 2 years in the MEAC where he was the best player on the worst team in the worst team. If he didn’t play for UConn you’d be claiming this stat was totally bogus. I guess another way of looking at it using this data is he had an awful season. His scoring average was only half what it was the previous 2 seasons. LOL. Of course that is dumb just like using his MEAC results to claim he is great is dumb.

He is a very average D1 point. Honestly better than I thought he’d be, but if You replaced him with almost any other average point the results would be comparable. Back in the day, there was a thing called the gentleman’s C. That applies to RJ Coles
unnamed.gif

Reaction Score

You're bumming me out.. Thought RJ impressed folks enough to have him projected as a second team BE player this year.

I'm not buying what you're putting down. If you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just for checks and balances...

UConn PG's that have gone for 18+ and 5+ in a year since JC took over.

Bazz was close at 18 and 4.9. Regardless, RJ will not be the first. He is who he is. I expect Cole to have similar #'s as last year. 12 and 4 with hopefully better %'s.

Reaction Score
That’s about what I expect too. He is fine. Can’t handle big guards. But he does some things well. I also wonder if he ran out of gas late last year. Except for DePaul, struggled down the stretch. I think he had like 7 in the final regular season game, 5 against Creighton and 9 against Maryland. 14 vs DePaul*, but it was DePaul. Maybe playing against bigger stronger and faster players took a toll.

* may contain basketball like product.

Reaction Score
I'll double-down since I see a lot of 15 and 5 predictions. UConn PGs that have done that...

Doron Sheffer 16/6
Khalid 16/5

Cole is a solid standstill shooter and can be a good defender. He lacks the athleticism to finish inside and the quickness to create his own shot. He's also not a great facilitator. He's not a bad player. But this is one of those great preseason prediction threads that completely misses the point.

Using his stats at Howard is completely irrelevant. He put up big numbers on high usage and low percentages against the worst comp in D1 on the worst team in D1. His shooting % here and there were virtually the same. I think if we are a legit great team we may actually see him have less production because that means other guys have stepped their games up.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
That’s about what I expect too. He is fine. Can’t handle big guards. But he does some things well. I also wonder if he ran out of gas late last year. Except for DePaul, struggled down the stretch. I think he had like 7 in the final regular season game, 5 against Creighton and 9 against Maryland. 14 vs DePaul*, but it was DePaul. Maybe playing against bigger stronger and faster players took a toll.

* may contain basketball like product.
He didn't run out of gas, he got injured. Did you even watch the games?

Reaction Score
I'll double-down since I see a lot of 15 and 5 predictions. UConn PGs that have done that...

Doron Sheffer 16/6
Khalid 16/5

Cole is a solid standstill shooter and can be a good defender. He lacks the athleticism to finish inside and the quickness to create his own shot. He's also not a great facilitator. He's not a bad player. But this is one of those great preseason prediction threads that completely misses the point.

Using his stats at Howard is completely irrelevant. He put up big numbers on high usage and low percentages against the worst comp in D1 on the worst team in D1. His shooting % here and there were virtually the same. I think if we are a legit great team we may actually see him have less production because that means other guys have stepped their games up.
He wasn't that far off last year. I still stand by my 14 -15 ppg and 5+ assists prediction. He's worked harder that ever since the end of the season. BTW Shabazz was 18 and 4.9 (essentially 5)

Reaction Score
He wasn't that far off last year. I still stand by my 14 -15 ppg and 5+ assists prediction. He's worked harder that ever since the end of the season. BTW Shabazz was 18 and 4.9 (essentially 5)

Oops forgot Bazz... I mentioned him in the other thread. I guess I just don't see much room for improvement. If we need Cole to be a big-time scorer we will be in a lot of trouble. We desperately need several guys to pick up Bouk's scoring slack.

Reaction Score
Oops forgot Bazz... I mentioned him in the other thread. I guess I just don't see much room for improvement. If we need Cole to be a big-time scorer we will be in a lot of trouble. We desperately need several guys to pick up Bouk's scoring slack.
RJ has always been a scorer. I don't see that changing. I hope we are a team that averages over 76 per game and Bouk's points will need to be made up and and then some.

Reaction Score
RJ has always been a scorer. I don't see that changing. I hope we are a team that averages over 76 per game and Bouk's points will need to be made up and and then some.

He scored a lot of points (on a lot of shots and poor percentage) at Howard on teams that collectively went 27-40 and was an okay scorer here (shooting under 40%.) I truly think that if RJ has to score 15/game then we will not be a very good team. There's too much effort involved with him getting that many shots/points.

Reaction Score
RJ Cole 12.2 and 4.3
Jalen Adams 18.1 and 4.7
Jalen Adams 14.4 and 6.1
Shabazz Napier 18 and 4.9
Shabazz Napier 17.1 and 4.6
Shabazz Napier 13 and 5.8
Ryan Boatright 15.4 and 4.4
Daniel Hamilton 12.5 and 4.7
Kemba Walker 23.5 and 4.5

Over the last 11 seasons, we've had 9 player seasons near 15 and 5 ast but none actually do it. Some very close. I'd say it's reasonable that he'll be in the ballpark, but probably not do both. I'd put him down for 14.4 and 4.4 for good luck.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Does Andre Jackson really take a point forward role while he’s in the game and cole has more of an off the ball role in the offense for big chunks of the game? I can see a scenario where that happens.
The people want to see this.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
RJ is an interesting one. I don’t except huge numbers, outside of assists and a solid 3 point game. I except him to be like an on the floor coach, extension of the coaching staff for the next 2 years then play a few years in Europe before transitioning into coaching. He’s like another Hurley to me lol.

Reaction Score
RJ Cole 12.2 and 4.3
Jalen Adams 18.1 and 4.7
Jalen Adams 14.4 and 6.1
Shabazz Napier 18 and 4.9
Shabazz Napier 17.1 and 4.6
Shabazz Napier 13 and 5.8
Ryan Boatright 15.4 and 4.4
Daniel Hamilton 12.5 and 4.7
Kemba Walker 23.5 and 4.5

Over the last 11 seasons, we've had 9 player seasons near 15 and 5 ast but none actually do it. Some very close. I'd say it's reasonable that he'll be in the ballpark, but probably not do both. I'd put him down for 14.4 and 4.4 for good luck.
I will say that the numbers don't lie.But context would suggest that most of the PGs on your list were scoring PGs surrounded by weaker sidekicks. RJ has the benefit of a stronger supporting cast.. Don't see his pts/game dramatically changing but I do see his assists/game drifting up due to the guys he's playing with/passing to...-IMO

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
RJ has to have a Levance Fields (Pitt) impact for us to excel offensively. Get to the paint, lob, dish, kick, float and be decisive. We have too many athletes not to see lobs and dimes for dunks. Also, like Levance (who I despised) he has to hit his open jumpshots. Control and efficiency on O is what we need from RJ along with bull dog defense could keep us steady until someone else steps up.

Reaction Score
I expect RJ to be the team's high scorer this season.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Major concern really should be who's going to be the #2 guy. Hoping that player steps up quickly.

Reaction Score
Major concern really should be who's going to be the #2 guy. Hoping that player steps up quickly.
Hawkins or AJax..Adama will be 12/12

There will be games where they score by committee. 5 or 6 guys scoring 8 to 12 pts and a W

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Number 1 scorer Cole. Number 2 Sanogo. Just a guess.

Reaction Score
we have no choice. he’s probably ready. i think gaffney has the size and strength. they should split the pg based on games

Reaction Score
Gaffney is underrated.

Not sure how he’s underrated unless you go by the fact he plays a good game every 3 or 4 games thus far in his career. Would like to see him be much more consistent and aggressive like he was in 4-5 games last year. He seemed to shoot it better from Deep and can get to the hole. Just better decisions, less easy/west and quicker feet on defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom