Expectations: Andre Jackson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Expectations: Andre Jackson

Reaction Score
He's not going to become a shooter in 1 summer. It doesn't work that way. The guys that become shooters and had 0 ability before are usually pros that hire full-time shooting coaches or are able to work with an assistant all summer.

Enough the defense honest is probably the most we can ask for. If he could hit 26-30% on maybe 2-3 attempts per game I would be THRILLED. Not good still, but enough to prove that the work is paying off. That would set him up for a dynamite junior season.
Exactly. I’m hoping his handle is tighter and playmaking improves, I think that’s more realistic than thinking he becomes a 35% shooter from 3. If it lets Gaff and Cole get off ball a bit more, I really think it helps the team. They’re two of the top (4?) shooters on the team. They need to get shots from deep, especially Gaff.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I’m hoping his handle is tighter and playmaking improves, I think that’s more realistic than thinking he becomes a 35% shooter from 3. If it lets Gaff and Cole get off ball a bit more, I really think it helps the team. They’re two of the top (4?) shooters on the team. They need to get shots from deep, especially Gaff.

I would like to see us give Andre a TON of reps handling the ball from the 3 with Cole and PG and Gaff/Hawkins at the 2 early in the season vs the plethora of cupcake teams. All 3 of those guys are better attacking closeouts, catch and shoot etc. We don't have that 1v1 breakdown ballhandler.

Andre is going to make mistakes... he might have 3 TOs a game. But I think his dynamic playmaking will pay off in the long run.

I'm imagining him in a kind of Daniel Hamilton role passing the rock. DHam wasn't a brilliant ballhandler (but better than Andre at the same stage to be fair), and a better passer, and better scoring in the half-court... Andre is way faster and more athletic of course. But I think the passing and leading the team as a 6'7 guard-forward could be similar.

Reaction Score
No idea. Might be an all-American. Might be the first guy off the bench. Might be limited to certain situations. What I saw last year was an athlete who wasn’t as good a basketball player. By the end of the season teams didn’t even bother covering him from the 3 point line and he still wouldn’t shoot. I can’t remember the game last year but the d just dropped back and dared him to shoot. He stood there and finally passed the ball. And it happened 2 or 3 times. That can’t happen And his defense was AAU defense, relying on athleticism rather than fundamentals and skill. And honestly you can’t play a 2 or 3 who can’t shoot from outside. Good rebounder, Sportscenter plays from time to time. If he finds a shot and improves his handle he will be outstanding. Gotta see it though. Not just read the usual off season foolishness that makes everyone sound like a combination of Bird, Magic, Jordan and James.

Reaction Score
I would like to see us give Andre a TON of reps handling the ball from the 3 with Cole and PG and Gaff/Hawkins at the 2 early in the season vs the plethora of cupcake teams. All 3 of those guys are better attacking closeouts, catch and shoot etc. We don't have that 1v1 breakdown ballhandler.

Andre is going to make mistakes... he might have 3 TOs a game. But I think his dynamic playmaking will pay off in the long run.

I'm imagining him in a kind of Daniel Hamilton role passing the rock. DHam wasn't a brilliant ballhandler (but better than Andre at the same stage to be fair), and a better passer, and better scoring in the half-court... Andre is way faster and more athletic of course. But I think the passing and leading the team as a 6'7 guard-forward could be similar.
Right. His handle isn’t quite tight enough to really blow by defenders consistently and be a threat to get to the cup every time. But he has size, length, and athleticism to make things happen out there. I want to see them utilize his strengths more, let him play thru that. Let him handle more and get our shooters more spot up opportunities. I really think the biggest benefactor would be Gaffney. Get Gaffney off ball and let him spot up and attack more. His style of play is more suited for that IMO.

I’ve been saying for awhile I think the X factors for this team in terms of their ceiling are Jackson & Gaffney. They need consistent play from their backcourt and these guys are the catalyst to it. Of course you can loop in Hawkins to it but he’s just a freshman. Gaff and Jackson need to step up, no reason they can’t.

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if he comes out and averages 15pts 7 rebounds 5 assists and 3 steals a game and is conference player of the year and is a candidate for NPOY. Hes that talented. Do expect this? No. But its possible.

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if he comes out and averages 15pts 7 rebounds 5 assists and 3 steals a game and is conference player of the year and is a candidate for NPOY. Hes that talented. Do expect this? No. But its possible.
If this happened the teams winning a chip.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No idea. Might be an all-American. Might be the first guy off the bench. Might be limited to certain situations. What I saw last year was an athlete who wasn’t as good a basketball player. By the end of the season teams didn’t even bother covering him from the 3 point line and he still wouldn’t shoot. I can’t remember the game last year but the d just dropped back and dared him to shoot. He stood there and finally passed the ball. And it happened 2 or 3 times. That can’t happen And his defense was AAU defense, relying on athleticism rather than fundamentals and skill. And honestly you can’t play a 2 or 3 who can’t shoot from outside. Good rebounder, Sportscenter plays from time to time. If he finds a shot and improves his handle he will be outstanding. Gotta see it though. Not just read the usual off season foolishness that makes everyone sound like a combination of Bird, Magic, Jordan and James.
You keep saying this, but the most egregious comparison I've seen this off season was Sanogo/Okafor. Who's comparing anyone to current or past NBA legends, any examples?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Just cuz you guys didn’t get him, no need to come on here and hate. Worry about your son and Joe Girard, and go back to your own board.

Reaction Score
In August Chief had a good talk with Andre, I expect to see good things.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Please let AJ shoot well enough to get the opposing coaches to respect his shot .
Early in the season, every time Jackson and Whaley take a three I'll be leaning way forward in my seat.

Reaction Score
Adama has been dominant throughout the summer to the present. He’s not a guy who tries to take shortcuts and is ready for battle. His work ethic sets a good example for others on the team. When arguably your best player does things the right way, it sends a message to everyone else.

Reaction Score

Ugh. The comparison for someone many expect to be the NBA before his four years are up is a player who, his last year here, went about a month in conference between hitting shots?

Jackson is a wild card. Extreme athlete who has potential to help the team. But is he going to take significant minutes from Martin and Polley? Honestly, I have no idea.

I stick to my statement that until we start playing meaningful games, no one including Danny Hurley really knows what the rotation is going to look like and who he is going to be relying on.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Don’t think until we see the new Andre it’s fair for Whaley to be grouped with him. Much better shooter for now.
I agree with that. My thought was, if either of those two establish themselves early as outside threats that opponents need to game plan for, it has good implications for the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
Ugh. The comparison for someone many expect to be the NBA before his four years are up is a player who, his last year here, went about a month in conference between hitting shots?

Is that a true statement about Daniel Hamilton? I had no idea that stat existed. When I saw the "ugh" I thought you were going in the opposite direction - that it was an unfair comparison to Hamilton because he was a much more productive college player than Jackson has been so far.

Reaction Score
He was a 38% shooter his two years at UConn, and the numbers were fairly close for each of the two seasons. I don't have time to go through box scores game by game, but while I was knowingly exaggerating, he went through a stretch of games in conference play where his percentage was way, way, way below 38%.

Jackson as a frosh was light years behind Hamilton as a frosh as a basketball player. But if Jackson's goal as a shooter is to achieve what Hamilton did here, well, I repeat -- Ugh.

Reaction Score
Is that a true statement about Daniel Hamilton? I had no idea that stat existed. When I saw the "ugh" I thought you were going in the opposite direction - that it was an unfair comparison to Hamilton because he was a much more productive college player than Jackson has been so far.

Had to read his post 5x and still didn't believe it. DHam is way underrated. Kid averaged what, 13/7/4 as a sophomore? Nothing to scoff at. He was as skilled a player at 6'7 as we've ever had. Athleticism was what limited him big time.

You have to wonder what his shooting %s would've looked like under a better coach. I don't blame the kid for leaving early.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom