'Exclusive Season Ticket Holder Practice' - Saturday 7/29 at Univ of St Joseph | Page 5 | The Boneyard

'Exclusive Season Ticket Holder Practice' - Saturday 7/29 at Univ of St Joseph

Reaction Score
IMG_5166.jpeg

Reaction Score
You often hear about the intensity of a Hurley practice, but to see it up close was something to behold. Good job by the University and St. Joe's for putting this on. Any thought that there would be complacency after the championship is ridiculous. Sustained intensity for the entire session. I noticed during the shoot around that Clingan was making most of the threes he shot. He took no 3s during the scrimmage. It will be interesting to see where that goes. Very impressed with Spencer. Enjoy Castle for his one season here.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Gonna repost my thoughts here since it seems like more people are reading this thread.

The biggest takeaway for me is Samson looking more than comfortable for the first time in front of fans. He was physical with Don and made him work on the boards. Had a couple nice blocks, made a 3, and hit Don with a lefty scoop in the post. Breakout season loading!

Spencer and Newton might both average 15+, extremely skilled and savvy backcourt. You can tell it’s Newtons team now.

Castle looked like the clear third of wheel of the ball handlers. He took it to Spencer multiple times, but doesn’t do much without the ball, and had a rough time shooting all afternoon. I know it won’t be a popular take, but I still won’t be shocked if he comes off the bench for a better shooter, or Samson takes his spot by simply being more impactful.

For anyone wondering, Stewart did not participate in any organized activity. Seemed to be nursing something on the bench, and spent some time riding the bike.

Roumoglou and Singare were the players most chewed out by Dan. They were rough in drills.

Reaction Score
Gonna repost my thoughts here since it seems like more people are reading this thread.

The biggest takeaway for me is Samson looking more than comfortable for the first time in front of fans. He was physical with Don and made him work on the boards. Had a couple nice blocks, made a 3, and hit Don with a lefty scoop in the post. Breakout season loading!

Spencer and Newton might both average 15+, extremely skilled and savvy backcourt. You can tell it’s Newtons team now.

Castle looked like the clear third of wheel of the ball handlers. He took it to Spencer multiple times, but doesn’t do much without the ball, and had a rough time shooting all afternoon. I know it won’t be a popular take, but I still won’t be shocked if he comes off the bench for a better shooter, or Samson takes his spot by simply being more impactful.

For anyone wondering, Stewart did not participate in any organized activity. Seemed to be nursing something on the bench, and spent some time riding the bike.

Roumoglou and Singare were the players most chewed out by Dan. They were rough in drills.
Not surprised on Castle even though most here have him gone after 1 year. How many are good enough to jump after 1 year? The BE wars can make players look bad until they learn and those young kids have alot to learn.

Reaction Score

In some of the clips I saw, I was really impressed with his motor and activity level. That's the role we'll need him in. If he's not playing 30 minutes, he needs to be going all out in the minutes he does get.

Reaction Score
Not surprised on Castle even though most here have him gone after 1 year. How many are good enough to jump after 1 year? The BE wars can make players look bad until they learn and those young kids have alot to learn.
Castle is starting and leaving after 1 year, there's no reason to entertain anything suggesting otherwise

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
People don’t like to acknowledge there’s a range of outcomes for him. He could be a top 5 pick, he could come back for his sophomore year. Mock drafts and recruiting rankings are relevant projectors of ability, but the arrogance some people here show, acting like they can see the future, will remain baffling.

Also, I do think people are badly underestimating how much we need ball handling help off the bench. Starting our only 3 competent ball handlers may not be viable if Diarra and Ball don’t take steps forward in this regard. Even though I’m sure there will be staggering of Newton and Castles minutes to keep one on the floor at all times.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Castle is starting and leaving after 1 year, there's no reason to entertain anything suggesting otherwise
Except for years of evidence 5 star recruits constantly underperform their ridiculous expectations. Which you can’t deny is in the range of outcomes here. But you probably will, somehow.

Reaction Score
People don’t like to acknowledge there’s a range of outcomes for him. He could be a top 5 pick, he could come back for his sophomore year. Mock drafts and recruiting rankings are relevant projectors of ability, but the arrogance some people here show, acting like they can see the future, will remain baffling.

Also, I do think people are badly underestimating how much we need ball handling help off the bench. Starting our only 3 competent ball handlers may not be viable if Diarra and Ball don’t take steps forward in this regard. Even though I’m sure there will be staggering of Newton and Castles minutes to keep one on the floor at all times.
You can start all 3 and stagger them throughout the game. So that one of them is on the court at all times(even 2 of them). Who starts is not as important as the allocation of minutes. Castle will start for multiple reasons. One being optics.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

If it's Newton’s show and Castle has to play mostly off ball I can see a case where he may not look as impressive as a lot of us are expecting.

Reaction Score
Except for years of evidence 5 star recruits constantly underperform their ridiculous expectations. Which you can’t deny is in the range of outcomes here. But you probably will, somehow.
Gotta go back to 2018 to find a combo guard, point guard, or shooting guard ranked in the Top 10 on 247 that didn’t come out after their freshman year.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
What are you expecting?
I originally thought it was going to be Castle’s show. But if it's Newton’s show then we won't see as much of Castle’s ability to lead an offense. More of an emphasis would be placed on him as an off ball scorer is assume. Which may be inconsistent.

Maybe more of a Jalen Adams kind of year which is still good. But it may be hard to show scouts he's an NBA PG if he isn't going to be the lead guard.

Reaction Score
Sure, he might be disappointing, there's plenty of evidence of guys who are. I have no idea why you'd be rooting for that, which you absolutely are with how often you post it. And even if he does have a disappointing college career, which again is more than possible, he is still going to start every game and almost assuredly leave after his freshman year. Because that's what happens with top 10 recruits

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Newton and Spencer are gonna dominate the ball, Alex is going to have more playmaking responsibility, Don is the biggest priority to get the ball in his spots. This means the 5th starter has to contribute something away from the ball to be valuable to that lineup. Castle doesn’t strike me as that kind of player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom