Excited for the game...how much NFL talent for Uconn? | The Boneyard

Excited for the game...how much NFL talent for Uconn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let me speak for everyone in BYU-Nation in saying we are PUMPED for this game! This is lining up to be a SPECIAL season for BYU and we think we have a chance to go undefeated. Just a breakdown of some of our guys:

Taysom Hill is our QB. Most cougar fans are hoping he stays around for his senior year and doesn't go to the NFL next year. If you saw the Texas game last year you know why he is projected so high for the pros. You just can't stay with the guy - so ATHLETIC!

Jamaal Williams is our RB. He is out for the Uconn game, but still NFL talent. Guy is just a stud.

We have a lot of new receivers this year and they all have NFL potential. Devon Blackmon has been described by some of our media as "stupid fast." Another guy Kurtz is 6'6" and was also recruited by USC - the Trojans only recruit receivers who have NFL talent. Jordan Leslie is a big-time transfer from UTEP. Mitch Matthews is also 6'6"- you know NFL scouts love to see that sort of height.

Our offensive line has shown vast improvement from last year and should be awesome. Likely some NFL talent there as well.

Defense: Bronco Mendenhall always has the most stout defense you will see. Guys literally fly around to the ball. Add to that some of the NFL type guys we have this year and it had the makings of something very special. Fua and Kaufusi are sure fire first rounders when they go (probably next year). We have a new recruit Fred Warner - total stud at LB. He was also recruited by Cal.

Besides all this most of the media thinks our secondary is the best part of our defense. I wouldn't be surprised to see some NFL talent emerge from there as well.

I would LOVE to hear about Uconn and what sort of talent you guys have. Who is projected to the next level? I've noticed that having NFL - talent can be a great barometer of what sort of college team you have.

Here's to a GREAT. Game! And...GO COUGARS!!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our team was so poorly coached it's hard for some of us to judge the talent. Even when some of our fans, and a few of the reporters who cover the team, were complaining about the lack of talent, we were still putting players in the NFL. It's difficult to describe just how poorly coached this team was.

I think we have 2 potential first day draft picks. Geremy Davis is our big receiver. He's 6'3", 215, is able to get himself open and has good to very good hands. I think he has 2nd/3rd round pick potential.

We've put 5 DB's in the NFL recently, this team has at least 2 headed there.

Byron Jones is our top corner and one of the best in the conference. 6'1" with speed, and he's a very smart guy. I think he's late 2nd - 4th round draft pick. Diaco said he'll be one of the best in the country, and scouts will love him at the combine.

Obi Melinfonwu is a future NFL player. You probably know about Diaco's resume as DC, he worked with Pro-Bowler Harrison Smith, but he called him the most talented Safety he's ever been around. He's only a sophomore.

I'm not sure who else has NFL talent. I think we have some potential stars, but we need to see how they perform for the new staff in the new schemes.

Reaction Score
Pete (or any other BYU fans here willing to answer), no disrespect whatsoever but why is it that your program has only produced 7 NFL draftees since 2008? Over that period your program was 65-26, making that number seem disproportionate to the level of success you guys have achieved on the field, no?

UConn was 46-42 in that same time span yet we've had 20 players drafted to the NFL, why such a discrepancy?

Reaction Score
I think it is an obvious bias in the he NFL against players because they are from BYU. I know there are a lot of BYU fans who feel this same way. It probably has to do with them not being used to playing on Sundays.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it is an obvious bias in the he NFL against players because they are from BYU. I know there are a lot of BYU fans who feel this same way. It probably has to do with them not being used to playing on Sundays.

Undefeated and a bias against BYU players... RutgersAl has a Mormon version.

The answer to the record would be schedule and the fact your players on average are older than everyone elses's.

Reaction Score

This isn't serious is it?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Not used to playing on Sundays? Yeah, that's why your guys aren't getting drafted by people get get paid millions to evaluate these things.

I have to ask,

What college football players are used to playing on Sundays? This cannot be for real.

Reaction Score

LMFAO. Now that we've had the single stupidest thing I've heard in ages put on our board, I'm ready for the season.

It has to do with the players not being used to playing on Sundays? Yes, that has to be exactly the kind of adjustment that scares scouts. That's right up there with struggling with the adjustment to eastern time zones or sea level games.

Reaction Score
We've been averaging two or more NFL picks per year lately. And since there are five years of players in the program there should be around ten NFL players on the current squad.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
As others have stated we put players in the League. And even though UConn FB is not used to playing on Sundays they somehow overcome that after their college careers.
Here is a list of our recent draftees-

2014 7 220 Shamar Stephen Minnesota Vikings
2014 7 253 Yawin Smallwood Atlanta Falcons
2013 3 64 Dwayne Gratz Jacksonville Jaguars
2013 3 66 Sio Moore Oakland Raiders
2013 3 70 Blidi Wreh-Wilson Tennessee Titans
2013 4 124 Trevardo Williams Houston Texans
2013 6 201 Ryan Griffin Houston Texans
2012 2 49 Kendall Reyes San Diego Chargers
2011 5 136 Anthony Sherman Arizona Cardinals
2011 6 166 Lawrence Wilson Carolina Panthers
2011 6 183 Jordan Todman San Diego Chargers
2011 7 237 Greg Lloyd Philadelphia Eagles
2010 4 107 Marcus Easley Buffalo Bills
2010 7 249 Robert McClain Carolina Panthers
2009 1 27 Donald Brown Indianapolis Colts
2009 2 41 Darius Butler New England Patriots
2009 2 60 William Beatty New York Giants
2009 2 63 Cody Brown Arizona Cardinals
2008 4 100 Tyvon Branch Oakland Raiders
2008 6 195 Donald Thomas Miami Dolphins

Reaction Score
Don't forget that undrafted guys like Kash Moore, Lawrence Wilson and Zach Hurd even Tyler Lorenzen had made to NFL practice squads. And Nick Williams actually played in the league last year.

Reaction Score
I'm totally convinced that both us and BYU are being trolled by Utah fans.

It's a shame because the actual BYU fans who have come here are generally good people.

Reaction Score
The dirty little secret is that UCONN has put a lot of kids in the NFL over the last several years and pretty much as many as any program in the old Big East over the last 5 years or so. Our 2012 defense literally started every player that was either drafted or signed by the NFL. Unfortunately, in 2011 we made a terrible coaching hire and performance on the field was terrible. But, there was plenty of talent.

This team is young and I don't think we know, other than in a few instances, what our talent level actually is. We may see as many as 4 RBs get carries on Friday, one will be a RS frosh and two will be true frosh. The likely NFL talent that we know about - B. Jones CB; Obu M. S; G. Davis WR; Mateas C(?). Big question marks on whether we have the horses on the OL and at LB.

Reaction Score
Pete (or any other BYU fans here willing to answer), no disrespect whatsoever but why is it that your program has only produced 7 NFL draftees since 2008? Over that period your program was 65-26, making that number seem disproportionate to the level of success you guys have achieved on the field, no?

UConn was 46-42 in that same time span yet we've had 20 players drafted to the NFL, why such a discrepancy?
I haven't been able to figure that one out. Maybe the NFL teams are scared off by the fact that many of our players graduate at 24-26 years old. They might prefer to work with a 22 year old who has more good years ahead of him.

Reaction Score
I haven't been able to figure that one out. Maybe the NFL teams are scared off by the fact that many of our players graduate at 24-26 years old. They might prefer to work with a 22 year old who has more good years ahead of him.

I was just going to say that this would be a reasonable explanation. Generally, by the time an athlete is 25, he is what he is going to be.

Reaction Score
I was just going to say that this would be a reasonable explanation. Generally, by the time an athlete is 25, he is what he is going to be.

Can't this also be construed as a + as well though? You're getting a more mature/field ready player.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Maybe its just whether you have NFL talent or you dont? If you go to BYU and you can play the NFL will find a spot for you on a 53 man roster. Just like if you go to the Naval Academy and can play - ever hear of this guy named Roger Staubach?
They werent scared off by the ages on the below players - not sure of their age at graduation.

There are BYU Players in NFL -

Ezekiel Ansah Detroit Lions Defensive End
John Denney Miami Dolphins Center
Spencer Hadley Oakland Raiders Linebacker
Brett Keisel Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive End
Eathyn Manumaleuna New England Patriots Defensive Tackle
Dennis Pitta Baltimore Ravens Tight End
Dallas Reynolds New York Giants Offensive Guard
Daniel Sorensen Kansas City Chiefs Defensive Back
Kyle Van Noy Detroit Lions Linebacker

UConn Players in NFL -

Will Beatty New York Giants Offensive Tackle
Tyvon Branch Oakland Raiders Strong Safety
Donald Brown San Diego Chargers Running Back
Darius Butler Indianapolis Colts Free Safety
Marcus Easley Buffalo Bills Wide Receiver
Dwayne Gratz Jacksonville Jaguars Cornerback
Ryan Griffin Houston Texans Tight End
Danny Lansanah Tampa Bay Buccaneers Linebacker
Robert McClain Atlanta Falcons Cornerback
Sio Moore Oakland Raiders Linebacker
Dan Orlovsky Detroit Lions Quarterback
Kendall Reyes San Diego Chargers Defensive End
Anthony Sherman Kansas City Chiefs Fullback
Yawin Smallwood Atlanta Falcons Linebacker
Shamar Stephen Minnesota Vikings Defensive Tackle
Donald Thomas Indianapolis Colts Offensive Guard
Jordan Todman Jacksonville Jaguars Running Back
Nick Williams Washington Redskins Wide Receiver
Lawrence Wilson St. Louis Rams Linebacker
Blidi Wreh-Wilson Tennessee Titans Cornerback

Reaction Score
Are you sure Uconn has that many NFL players? I don't know, that really surprises me.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Are you sure Uconn has that many NFL players? I don't know, that really surprises me.

No, he made it up because facts like this are just so hard to check.

Reaction Score
Can't this also be construed as a + as well though? You're getting a more mature/field ready player.
I would think it would be considered a plus. A 25 year old should be more mature than a 21-22 year old. Apparently NFL gm's don't
Huh? He just showed you who they were and what teams they play for so I think he's pretty sure.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I would think it would be considered a plus. A 25 year old should be more mature than a 21-22 year old. Apparently NFL gm's don't

Huh? He just showed you who they were and what teams they play for so I think he's pretty sure.

Most players are being shown the door by the time they are 25-26. It has nothing to do with anything more than talent though. Believe me, these teams would take a 60 year old chinese women if she had the skill set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom