Evina's Availability | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evina's Availability

Reaction Score
Watching her highlights, she appears to be very decisive in her passing abilities, I just love that.

With Paige, Nika, Anna and the others, I have this feeling our UCONN team is going to be rather dazzling in this aspect of the game. :D:D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
if EW remains healthy with all of the time she's missed, I really doubt she will play two years at UConn.........hopefully she will help lead the team to an NC this coming season.........

Evina turned 22 (Born on Sept. 28, 1998) last month. It's conceivable that IF she has a good to great season, she could leave. I'm not sure if winning or not winning a championship would factor in her decision. Count me among those that want her to stay for 2 years. Her leadership and experience will/would benefit the team.

A second year under Geno certainly would not hurt, and may boost her draft stock. UConn has not had much luck lately with players staying when they were supposed to............Morgan Tuck, Azura Stevens, Megan Walker. Perhaps Evina will buck the trend and stay. :) Evina is on a "predetermined" path. Everything that has happened to her, happened for a reason. Evina will be fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Megan was first-team All American in her junior year (both the 5 person and 10 person team) so she can't be that much overrated. I am sure many players wish they are that overrated.
I think her being considered overrated came from herself, and comparing herself to Maya Moore. She said on ESPN that she wanted to be as good, or better. Also, when she was a sophomore she was considered the best prospect in HS, regardless of class (2015 & 2016 were still in HS).

She became an AA after an extremely loaded and talented group of seniors left to the WNBA. I thought she was deserving of 1st team until she struggled against the top teams. She dominated against lesser competition, and that is why she was 1st team AA.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think her being considered overrated came from herself, and comparing herself to Maya Moore. She said on ESPN that she wanted to be as good, or better. Also, when she was a sophomore she was considered the best prospect in HS, regardless of class (2015 & 2016 were still in HS).

Can you please provide a link to a story or video where Walker said that?

@MilfordHusky, do you remember hearing this?

Reaction Score

It was an ESPNU signing day special. She was on tv and ESPN made the comparison between her and Maya. Then she said the good or better. I am trying to find the video. I found a screenshot from ESPNU of her on tv, but no video.

If I can find it, ESPN made the comparison. But I think she enjoyed entertaining that idea. Remember she had her brought own brand and all that

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I watched Meg's signing video. I think Meg was confident, but I don't recall the comparison to Maya. On the other hand, I think some of us did list similarities and differences vis-a-vis Maya.

Meg was the #1 player in her class for a solid 3 years. That shows a high level of play and consistency. Some of us thought that Christyn was better as a junior in high school than Megan was as a senior. I never thought that Meg was better than the top players in 2015 or 2016. In hindsight, she may have been close.

I saw some of Maya's high school games on video, plus the All-American games. She was the best high school player I've seen. In my opinion, not even Paige or Azzi compares.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I watched Meg's signing video. I think Meg was confident, but I don't recall the comparison to Maya. On the other hand, I think some of us did list similarities and differences vis-a-vis Maya.

Meg was the #1 player in her class for a solid 3 years. That shows a high level of play and consistency. Some of us thought that Christyn was better as a junior in high school than Megan was as a senior. I never thought that Meg was better than the top players in 2015 or 2016. In hindsight, she may have been close.

I saw some of Maya's high school games on video, plus the All-American games. She was the best high school player I've seen. In my opinion, not even Paige or Azzi compares.

Thanks. I reviewed the lengthy thread on Megan's commitment to UConn and saw no mention of Megan comparing herself to Maya. I think something like that would have earned a mention on the board. Wanting to be as good as or better than Maya is next to impossible unless your name is Breanna Stewart.

There were fans here who compared Meg to Maya though most knew she would not be the next Maya Moore.

Reaction Score
if EW remains healthy with all of the time she's missed, I really doubt she will play two years at UConn.........hopefully she will help lead the team to an NC this coming season.........
CHARLIE: I understand your position. On the other hand, one's college experience is a once in a lifetime thing, and all too short if you are an athlete. Her college athletic experience has not been all that she might have hoped for up to now, and I hope SHE realizes that and will opt to maximize the thrills in store for her as a Husky

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks. I reviewed the lengthy thread on Megan's commitment to UConn and saw no mention of Megan comparing herself to Maya. I think something like that would have earned a mention on the board. Wanting to be as good as or better than Maya is next to impossible unless your name is Breanna Stewart.

There were fans here who compared Meg to Maya though most knew she would not be the next Maya Moore.
I probably did some comparing and contrasting with Maya. It took a little longer than I thought, but I expected Megan to be very good. She had a great junior year.

I don't recall anyone saying Meg would be as good as Maya. I do remember Rellah Boothe saying the would average 40 and 20.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the Chasing Perfection podcast, it is interesting that they discuss how the loss of Megan Walker is not really a loss that cant be overcome. Basically, they view her as doing a lot of things well but nothing so well that cant be replaced. (I think that is a bit harsh. She was after all a volume 3pt shooter at 45%) In their opinion, much harder to replace is Crystals leadership

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In the Chasing Perfection podcast, it is interesting that they discuss how the loss of Megan Walker is not really a loss that cant be overcome. Basically, they view her as doing a lot of things well but nothing so well that cant be replaced. (I think that is a bit harsh. She was after all a volume 3pt shooter at 45%) In their opinion, much harder to replace is Crystals leadership

Who is "they?" I'm not familiar with that podcast.

I agree with the observation.

Reaction Score
Megan was first-team All American in her junior year (both the 5 person and 10 person team) so she can't be that much overrated. I am sure many players wish they are that overrated.

I'm quite sure you are correct, there are many players in the country who would love to be overrated the way Walker was last year. Making All-American doesn't necessarily mean you can't be overrated. It simply means (in Walker's case) that she was (incorrectly) considered the best player on a highly regarded D1 program, in a very weak year player-wise. The only reason she was a 1st team AA was because the voters didn't want to have three Oregon players on the first team. Satou Sabally is a far better player than Walker, as was Crystal Dangerfield for that matter.

Reaction Score
Megan was a selfish player last year. Of all the AAs the team has had. She is the one that had the least impact for the team. UConn has several players who didn't make the Wall that were more valuable than Walker.

Reaction Score
CHARLIE: I understand your position. On the other hand, one's college experience is a once in a lifetime thing, and all too short if you are an athlete. Her college athletic experience has not been all that she might have hoped for up to now, and I hope SHE realizes that and will opt to maximize the thrills in store for her as a Husky

I agree with you about the college experience (although not this year) but considering her injury situation if she can have a really solid injury free season I think she will play the odds and opt for the pros............

Reaction Score
I agree with you about the college experience (although not this year) but considering her injury situation if she can have a really solid injury free season I think she will play the odds and opt for the pros............
I agree because her window of earning money would be narrow and she did have 2 surgeries in high school too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom