everybody is rooting for us - Frese | The Boneyard

everybody is rooting for us - Frese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"Our sport needs it" what, exactly, is "it", Brenda? Uconn is not Kentucky, a team everyone roots against because they represent all that's troublesome about Men's college hoop. UCONN represents the American Dream- work hard, be smart, follow a great leader and you get ahead.

Reaction Score
I can think of one small group of close, talented young ladies that doesn't want you to win, Brenda, and I think you just ticked them off. Keep talking.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
But, wouldn't it be cool to have several women's programs representing the American Dream?

I don't regret any of UConn's wins, but I would agree that having ND USC and others step up and be legit challengers year-in-year-out would be stomach-churingly awesome.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But, wouldn't it be cool to have several women's programs representing the American Dream?

I don't regret any of UConn's wins, but I would agree that having ND USC and others step up and be legit challengers year-in-year-out would be stomach-churingly awesome.
Sure, just not Maryland. I hope Jim Jabir and Jose Fenandez land a bunch of high school All Americans and UConn maintains a long series with USC and ND as well as Dayton. Add Louisville and Texas to the mix.That would be cool.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Terrible disservice to Frese to have her quoted totally out of context.

What she obviously really said was, "I think everybody (in Maryland, or more than half of them anyway, plus a bunch of people in Tennessee, Indiana, and South Carolina, plus all the Mediocrity Clubs around the country) is rooting for us. Our sport needs it, to be (or pretending to be in a my usual hypocritical way) honest."

Reaction Score
"Aren't we tired of it?"

Well....nope. Some things never get old - like beating Maryland's .

You're going DOWN, Brenda!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is actually pretty accurate I would say in terms of women's basketball fans not affiliated with Uconn. They want ND and SC and Baylor and TN and _____ to provide true challenges to Uconn. Everybody loved what Dayton did in the tournament, and what Gonzaga did in the tournament - they want to see teams out side the usual suspects playing good basketball and challenging those teams.
You could say everybody was hoping Princeton would win against MD and be correct as well.

As a Uconn fan, I hope everybody gets to a level that is really good and about 4 points short of Uconn good.

Nice fodder for the board, but it isn't untrue. Gene says the exact opposite all the time - 'everybody is hoping we lose'.

t-gal

T for Trouble
Reaction Score
It is actually pretty accurate I would say in terms of women's basketball fans not affiliated with Uconn. They want ND and SC and Baylor and TN and _____ to provide true challenges to Uconn. Everybody loved what Dayton did in the tournament, and what Gonzaga did in the tournament - they want to see teams out side the usual suspects playing good basketball and challenging those teams.
You could say everybody was hoping Princeton would win against MD and be correct as well.

As a Uconn fan, I hope everybody gets to a level that is really good and about 4 points short of Uconn good.

Nice fodder for the board, but it isn't untrue. Gene says the exact opposite all the time - 'everybody is hoping we lose'.
Couldn't agree more. Brenda's got to fire up her team somehow.

Reaction Score
I don't mind if women's BB fans think that but for a coach whose team is playing us today to say it is bizarre. Is she so lacking in confidence in her team that she needs the rest of the country to buck her up?

Reaction Score
Oh boy. Any way. Play focused basketball, UConn and let's go to work!!!

Go, Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Brenda, you only have 49 states, not enough because we have Connecticut and Canada.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

No sorry, it's just bizarre to be invoking the mythical "everybody" or God on your side. If Muffet says that the leprechauns are rooting for ND though, I will give her that point.

The only ones that a coach should be talking about as wanting the Terps to win are the Maryland players, because they are the only ones that matter for her. Their fans are obviously a given or they wouldn't be fans. And claiming the allegiance of the rest of the country is bad form by a coach who is admitting that her team needs way more than what they got. I'm sure Geno will just stick to his own squad, which is where the focus should be.

mr006

Reaction Score

Good point. I certainly was. Depends on which side of the fence you are on, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
All this rot about how UConn's dominance is bad for wcbb. I was a youth in the era of the Wooden UCLA teams. I was old enough to be aware that mcbb had been a merely regional, second-rate attraction prior to the Wooden years, that it was UCLA that made the sport glamorous and important nationally. Up until that time the NCAA champuionship itself wasn't definitive, in those days the NIT champs were often as good or better, certainly often more popular. It was the Wooden teams that put an end to those antediluvian aspects, and brought the game into the modern era. I see the UConn dominance inwcbb today as similar to the Wooden mcbb UCLA teams. The era of dominance will peak and pass, it's a natural course. But the emergence of a dominant program, whether UConn today, UCLA in the 60s, or even Notre Dame football in the Knute Rockne era seems to be a natural and healthy part of the cycle of the emergence of a college sport onto the national stage.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Here's another group not rooting against UConn: Hundreds of high school basketball players, some of them elite, hoping to some day realize their dreams and play for the best program on the planet. Those young ladies will watch, cheer for UConn, have their pro-UConn feeling reinforced and be thrilled if UConn comes calling.

Reaction Score
Brenda is obviously an excellent coach but sometimes coaches are asked to do the impossible. Trying to come up with a game plan to stop Stewie and, oh yeah... KML, then there is Moriah and Kia passing and driving the lane to deal with, then keeping Morgan out of the paint. Let's work on offense instead..... got my guards that can drive the lane and score but OMG there is Kiah and Stewie. Oh well, what should I say at my interview..... I'm so confuuuuuuuuuuused.

Reaction Score
New England for UConn, NY, Texas, and a large part of California will for the most part be rooting for Uconn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom