Ever bothered by other fans at a game? | The Boneyard

Ever bothered by other fans at a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Gosh, at a Yankee game she wouldn't even get noticed. In Philly.... let's not go there.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
When I went out to Palo Alto last year to see Stanford-Uconn, two women behind me had clearly never been to a basketball game before and were loudly asking the guy they were with for clarification on Every. Single. Call. He was good-natured and explained most, and even tried to explain some of the background of the Uconn-Stanford rivalry. At one point, Geno called a timeout, and then after the next dead ball there was a media timeout. One of the women started (loudly) complaining that "the fix was in!" because Geno got "too many timeouts, it wasn't fair."

In retrospect, it actually heightened my enjoyment of that particular game.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We can expect her to show up in the NY Post, demanding her money back or filing a lawsuit v. the USLTA for the brutality of the security crew.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Every time I go to a UConn game there are fans behind me that get upset at less than perfection from the women. Sound familiar?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A few years ago at a North Carolina game there were 3 older women sitting behind us. The objected whenever we stood and cheered. If you remember the game it was one of the best ever between played in Gampel. North Carolina had beaten UConn the previous 2 meetings and UConn trailed at the half by double digits. Gampel was really rocking as UConn made their comeback to win by a bunch. The entire arena was on their feet cheering for UConn and these ladies were upset because we were on our feet screaming for most of the second half. They even threatened to report us to security. :(

Unlike the woman in the video - we simply ignored them.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I always thought that tennis had the nastiest cast of characters in the stands. I blame it all on the continuing influence of John McEnroe and Ilie Nastase.

Actually it was very irksome to hear a few loudmouthed fans intrude their shrieks into the action late in the matches. I've always wondered why fans feel they need to get their half-second of infamy that way. At least the streakers in the ball parks were putting something of themselves on the line and baring their soles and other body parts for possible amusement.

Reaction Score
The Texas A&M fans were not nice to us last November when we went to the game. They heckled us a few times. The older couple sitting next to us kept complaining to us during the game about how horrible Geno is and brutish our players are. We just ignored them. We won by 30! Oklahoma fans were marvelous to us back in 2010.

Reaction Score
At NY Ranger games, it's the opposite. Then entire section hassles individuals walking by. A typical comment, "Nice duck*ing sweater, nice duck*ing sweater". It's impressive how they vocally coordinate the chants, since each is different.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I am a big believer when I visit another arena that I treat the home fans with respect - I cheer for my team and not against them. If the home fans stand and block my vision because it is their tradition, that's ok.

Conversely, regardless of my home team's tradition, I don't believe in standing (at the beginning of the game) at an away arena. Interestingly, as much as UofA fans / ASU fans are not friendly (the athletic department won't even name ASU, its just "that other school up north" in most communications), I discovered that their "comp" fans were told not to stand when they were at our arena (I was talking to an ASU fan behind me, he wasn't friendly but he wasn't rude). Their paying bus folk chose to abide by the same rule, and we returned the favor on our bus trip to their arena.

Reaction Score
When I went out to Palo Alto last year to see Stanford-Uconn, two women behind me had clearly never been to a basketball game before and were loudly asking the guy they were with for clarification on Every. Single. Call. He was good-natured and explained most, and even tried to explain some of the background of the Uconn-Stanford rivalry. At one point, Geno called a timeout, and then after the next dead ball there was a media timeout. One of the women started (loudly) complaining that "the fix was in!" because Geno got "too many timeouts, it wasn't fair."

I went to that game. It was great!

Reaction Score
I told this story once before on BY, so if you recall it, bear with me. It was not in this context. A few years ago, my wife and I drove to San Antonio to see one of those made-up "tournaments: UConn vs. TX; Tenn vs. Texas Tech. We had a lot of fun rooting for Tech, which lost big to Tenn, and of course, cheering for UConn against Texas. I tend to be somewhat exuberant -- though I try to cheer for us and not against them, no matter where we are. Anyway, my wife thought I might be a bit too boisterous, and as it turned out, some in the Texas contingent around us may have thought so, too.

Among the fans in our section were a couple in their 70s or 80s. We thought they might have a relative -- grandkid, maybe -- playing for Texas, but no question they were Texas fans. Anyway, the game was over, UConn won really big, and we were headed for the exit when my wife decided to use the facilities. She went in and did so and as she was getting ready to use the sink, noticed the elderly lady was having trouble figuring out how to use the automatic faucet and automatic soap dispenser. She tried to help, but when the woman noticed who the kind stranger was, she snarled, "You UConn fans think you know everything!" and walked away.

Sheesh.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I once asked a fan at a UConn game who was using....colorful language and constantly talking to please clean it up. Her response was unprintable, and I could not come up with something to counter it so (believe it or not) I just let it go.

It was really annoying but so not worth it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I once asked a fan at a UConn game who was using....colorful language and constantly talking to please clean it up. Her response was unprintable, and I could not come up with something to counter it so (believe it or not) I just let it go.

It was really annoying but so not worth it.

It wasn't me! I swear (but not on that occasion)!:rolleyes:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Oddly (and I do realize it isn't your point) the rule has been changed this year, so you can tell them that Geno will no longer get that advantage. If he calls a timeout within 30 seconds of the time that would be a media timeout, it will be the media timeout. This will cut down on something I find mildly annoying, a coach calls a TO, then then ball it put back into play, and seconds later a stoppage occurs and a Media TO is called.

Media Timeouts. (Rule 5-14.10.e). When a timeout is granted and creates a​
dead ball within 30 seconds before the media marks or creates the first dead ball​
after one of the 15-, 10- and 5-minute marks or the 16-, 12-, 8- and 4-minute​
marks, that timeout will become the electronic-media timeout for that specified​
media mark time.​

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I am a big believer when I visit another arena that I treat the home fans with respect - I cheer for my team and not against them. If the home fans stand and block my vision because it is their tradition, that's ok.

Conversely, regardless of my home team's tradition, I don't believe in standing (at the beginning of the game) at an away arena. Interestingly, as much as UofA fans / ASU fans are not friendly (the athletic department won't even name ASU, its just "that other school up north" in most communications), I discovered that their "comp" fans were told not to stand when they were at our arena (I was talking to an ASU fan behind me, he wasn't friendly but he wasn't rude). Their paying bus folk chose to abide by the same rule, and we returned the favor on our bus trip to their arena.

I agree. I like the tradition of standing until the first point, but it should be a home tradition. I'll do it away or neutral IF I check with those behind me and they are also standing, but if not, I do not.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Some agism and sexism goin on here? It's not just senior women who are beyond annoying at games!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, I was also at the TAMU game in College Station and had a few Aggies (I was sitting near the student section) try to get me to stand up for the Aggie War Hymn or whatever they call it.

I was wearing a UConn shirt and a giant plush UConn hand. I just pulled my hand up from my lap, silently, and held it there for a second to let them read the giant UCONN on the palm.

Same game...the Aggies didn't have a ton to cheer for, and so the announcer was yelling "AGGIE BALL!" ever time the ball would go to TAMU. And I mean every single time...even if Uconn tipped it out of bounds. My favorite was when we tied them up on defense and it just happened to be their possession (even though it was a terrible play for them) and the announcer screamed it and they all yelled "AGGIE BALL" back, and the guy next to me actually looked at me and kind of smirked and said, "That's right! Aggie ball!"

Um...way to go?

JS

Reaction Score
the elderly lady was having trouble figuring out how to use the automatic faucet and automatic soap dispenser. She tried to help, but when the woman noticed who the kind stranger was, she snarled, "You UConn fans think you know everything!" and walked away.
Guess that makes her a dirty old lady.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It wasn't me! I swear (but not on that occasion)!:rolleyes:

Military swear? I meet with a few old shipmates once or twice a week for coffee and sea stories. The language used is as salty as it could be. Other than that I guess I am old school. I would never use that kind of language in mixed company or around strangers.

Reaction Score
I believe in cheering and standing for good plays and being loud and supportive. However when a shrieker is seated behind me the ear splitting , spine tingling sound is really hard not to object to. But I don't because they deserve to cheer too. They just have higher pitched voices. Or something.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Great thread lol..I've been to a few games where there were annoying and rude fans, but I think the most annoyed I've been was going to the Vandy games at their place and having to listen to some crazy Vandy fan blowing a whistle every time we had the ball..I'm sure fellow Vol fans know what I'm referring too..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom