Even if you don't like soccer, turn on ESPN..... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Even if you don't like soccer, turn on ESPN.....

Reaction Score
But that doesn't mean that everyone has to love it. I suppose there are those people out there who don't love ice cream, or puppies, or quality beer.
Absolutely, and that includes past back-up JV rightfielder good athletes who might even struggle lacing up the actual phenomenal athletes' cleats at the Rent Saturday let alone run 90+minutes straight and get paid to play a sport as a professional athlete. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Gentlemen, gentlemen.

It's okay to disagree on the sport of soccer. Is it the greatest game ever invented, loved by more people in the world than any other sport? Yes. But that doesn't mean that everyone has to love it. I suppose there are those people out there who don't love ice cream, or puppies, or quality beer. So there must be those who don't love soccer either.

To each, their own... ;)
I like it because my kids play it, so I'll watch on tv to try to learn the game better. Beyond that, I can take it or leave it, and once they stop playing the game it'll disappear from my radar. To each his own.

Reaction Score
Not to worry. If (when) we start the season 3-1 and are playing exciting wide open offense and a smothering attacking defense, the crowd at the Rent on Friday night Oct 6 vs Memphis (and on ESPN) will look and sound just as fantastic.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but you're wrong... there were people sitting in the second deck below the press box. First hand account from son @ game. It wasn't packed but it was not empty/closed off. It was very clear in pictures/TV and in news replays.
All the photogs and TV were viewing east looking at the opposite stands. If I come across those FB posts again I will show you. 11.500 empty seats don't lie.

Reaction Score
Not to worry. If (when) we start the season 3-1 and are playing exciting wide open offense and a smothering attacking defense, the crowd at the Rent on Friday night Oct 6 vs Memphis (and on ESPN) will look and sound just as fantastic.
I would be disappointed if it were only 28,500 like the soccer game.

Reaction Score
All the photogs and TV were viewing east looking at the opposite stands. If I come across those FB posts again I will show you. 11.500 empty seats don't lie.

Keep digging your hole... nobody is saying there was more than 29k there (still a good crowd) - the point is that there were conclusively people sitting in the second deck under the press box despite your insistence there wasn't ("Entire second level on the press box side is closed."). I get they weren't preselling tix up there. I provided one picture which proves it - here is another. There are more...

I have no skin in the game but I don't usually post crap that I just make up.

Reaction Score

Usually? :eek::eek::eek:

Can you let us know when you start? ;)

Don't bother convincing him what the rest of us can see with our own eyes. There were clearly people sitting on the press box side in the upper deck. Considering the weather, the lineup, and the fact it was a friendly, it looks like a great crowd. Hopefully we can get a meaningful game there soon.

Reaction Score
Usually? :eek::eek::eek:

Can you let us know when you start? ;)

Don't bother convincing him what the rest of us can see with our own eyes. There were clearly people sitting on the press box side in the upper deck. Considering the weather, the lineup, and the fact it was a friendly, it looks like a great crowd. Hopefully we can get a meaningful game there soon.
I'll give you that some people migrated over there during the game. For the most part though it was empty. That pic shows it very clearly. It is a stupid argument though. It was not a big crowd by national team standards or by UConn standards.

Reaction Score
Keep digging your hole... nobody is saying there was more than 29k there (still a good crowd) - the point is that there were conclusively people sitting in the second deck under the press box despite your insistence there wasn't ("Entire second level on the press box side is closed."). I get they weren't preselling tix up there. I provided one picture which proves it - here is another. There are more...

How was traffic so bad? This must be the guy who lost his car a few years back.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Traffic is always a disaster at the USMNT games. Not just at the Rent but seemingly most places

Reaction Score
I walked up to the ticket window and purchased two tickets to the game.

They were upper level chair backs on the club side.

Reaction Score
It was not a big crowd by national team standards or by UConn standards.
"national team standards"? For the U.S. team, ~28K people is roughly average for home games the last few decades. Additionally, 28K meets or exceeds average home attendance for non-World Cup qualifier games and other friendly games (effectively exhibitions in non-soccer/international football lingo). Not so surprisingly, games which matter much more tend to attract more fans.

Very solid reasons exist for the US Soccer Federation to host games at the Rent; exhibit A: consistently good attendance, good fan involvement, and relatively convenient proximity to a large chunk of the US population, soccer fan base, and relative affluence (yup, USSF and Nike sell bushel loads of stuff online and know their market segments).

"UConn standards"? Similarly, an actual 28K would be relatively good compared with a few too many games during the last several years of Pasqualoni and Diaco destruction. We all hope RE 2.0 and company bring back better days, attendance bumps up again, etc. As with many college programs, perhaps UConn will once again include both teams' players, coaches and other staff members, police, fire, ambulance, security, field maintenance, and other individuals in attendance #s a la RE 1.0's most successful days. Yup, when a bit generous 40K attendance figures were announced and published.

UConn football this year? Maybe not AD David Benedict and others, but a legit 35K will make most Huskies' fans much happier. 28K not so much, but anything over 30K would be a big improvement. Go Huskies and USA!

Reaction Score
I walked up to the ticket window and purchased two tickets to the game. They were upper level chair backs on the club side.
No, that's absolutely impossible. Somebody's Facebook page, the beacon of all that is accurate, indicates no one sat in the upper chairs on the box club side. ;)

Reaction Score
Traffic is always a disaster at the USMNT games. Not just at the Rent but seemingly most places
Ok but with 28K at the game why was there so much traffic? Seemed to flow fine when there was a packed house at The Rent in years past.

Reaction Score
No, that's absolutely impossible. Somebody's Facebook page, the beacon of all that is accurate, indicates no one sat in the upper chairs on the box club side. ;)
That was yesterday. Today it's the false narrative that it was a small crowd by USMNT and Uconn standards.

Both also false, he's 3-3.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Communist Kickball. Serrano nailed it. ZZZZZZZZ

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Is it the greatest game ever invented, loved by more people in the world than any other sport?

Historically, yes... but now I think it's just keeping the seat warm for basketball.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I hated soccer, like any red blooded American. Then my son played six years at a very advanced level and we watched the EPL games every Saturday morning (Manchester City fans). His soccer experience prepared him to be a college punter.

Now soccer is #3 for me after football and baseball.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Historically, yes... but now I think it's just keeping the seat warm for basketball.

I think that basketball is probably the second most loved sport in the world at this point. But it will be centuries before it takes the #1 spot...

Reaction Score
I hated soccer, like any red blooded American. Then my son played six years at a very advanced level and we watched the EPL games every Saturday morning (Manchester City fans). His soccer experience prepared him to be a college punter.

Now soccer is #3 for me after football and baseball.

Is there anything worse than baseball?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom