Evelyn Adebayo may be better than most think... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evelyn Adebayo may be better than most think...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
wow i m impressed that you got quarter-by-quarter stats .. i have seen fim on EA and have seen Griffen in person several times .. both will have BIG impacts on the coming season .. I CAN'T WAIT! haha

There hasn’t been a lot of talk about Griffin this summer, and even less about Irwin and Bent. It’s like those two went dark. I haven’t read any posts about them or what they’ve been doing over the summer.

Anyone hear or read anything about these two seniors ? :cool:

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There hasn’t been a lot of talk about Griffin this summer, and even less about Irwin and Bent. It’s like those two went dark. I haven’t read any posts about them or what they’ve been doing over the summer.

Well
Considering this thread is about Evelyn, not here. Second, Evelyn is a post player who is coming from a mid-major program so I can correctly correlated both Natalie and Evelyn. Third, my point was to temper our esteemed colleague @DavidinNaples hopes of Evelyn being “better than we think” which was not really based on any major supporting evidence. Heck, at least with Natalie, she was only a freshman who had 3 years of Geno/CD’s coaching ahead of her. Evelyn will have 1. For you to state emphatically the Evelyn will contribute is also based on nothing but hope, not logic. We also had heard that Bent was underrated and should have been a top 100 but we know that to not be true. I have my fingers crossed on Ms Evelyn but my money stays in my wallet. I absolutely wish the best for her and us but this is a forum for discussion and we are discussing.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For you to state emphatically the Evelyn will contribute is also based on nothing but hope, not logic
Well there is this evaluator of basketball talent named Geno Auriemma, right? I like to start the season with hope, not doubt. Geno notes she's a real ball handler which will facilitate her becoming a Husky. She has a full array of shots and she can bang and rebound. I like the odds on her far better than the die hard BC fans hopes.

Reaction Score
As negative as thi may sound to some, I agree. Butler in GM was a standout and collected awards internally and externally, yet she remained the sam Butler that departed Uconn. The world of playing in Uconn VS that talent or GM facing that talent is light years apart.
I hope Evelyn is all David and others perceive. We need her to be everything they say. However, I shall await her stats on January first or March first ---if then she is all David and others say---the beer is on me. We NEED her to be another TUCK--we truly do. Reality is seeing what actually is there.
Agree with many of the Butler comments, but have to point out that she played much of the time at UConn with a broken thumb or ligament damage. Hard to dominate when you have difficulty catching ball. While in a lower talent league, she did dominate once healed. At this point, doesn't really matter so back to Evelyn....

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Molly seems to be pretty much non-existent on social media (good for her, really). Based on what I can gather, it seems like she was on campus for first summer session working out with the rest of the team and went home (or elsewhere?) after that.

Kyla was also on campus for first summer session and has been back in State College (mostly) the rest of the time. She occasionally posts from the gym, so she’s definitely putting in time from home.

Anyone else have any intel?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
When you lose by BIG margins, stats don't have much meaning during "garbage" time. That said, I till see a bright future for EA on the Huskies .. IMHO she is a perfect fit .. she adds needed toughness to an otherwise finesse team .. plus added depth will allow the entire team to play tougher without the fear of fouling out
Define garbage time. My definintion of garbage time does not include playing against starters which she did in these three games.

Reaction Score
Molly seems to be pretty much non-existent on social media (good for her, really). Based on what I can gather, it seems like she was on campus for first summer session working out with the rest of the team and went home (or elsewhere?) after that.

Kyla was also on campus for first summer session and has been back in State College (mostly) the rest of the time. She occasionally posts from the gym, so she’s definitely putting in time from home.

Anyone else have any intel?
I saw a few Instagram posts of Kyla visiting with Lou and Gabby in Chicago over the last part of the summer. Nothing else since.

Reaction Score
Lots of 'garbage' time when you lose by 20, 30, 40 points, eh?

Reaction Score
She sounds very impressive. Although that 78% FT percentage gives me pause. I know that low FT% has become almost the norm in WCBB but I wish it wasn't so.
Huh? 78% is very strong for a 4/5.

Reaction Score
Agree with many of the Butler comments, but have to point out that she played much of the time at UConn with a broken thumb or ligament damage. Hard to dominate when you have difficulty catching ball. While in a lower talent league, she did dominate once healed. At this point, doesn't really matter so back to Evelyn....
Evelyn is smaller but [seemingly] tougher than Butler .. Ev has more skills, more agile than Butler .. able to contribute to Huskies transition game .. most importantly, there is an opening on the roster for someone with EAs game .. IMO she's "just what the doctor ordered" .. !!

Reaction Score
I'm not saying she will be as good as any of these players so don't start the attack. But there is a style pattern between her and the likes of Collier, Tuck, Cash, and Turner. Geno loves a motorized semi-big who can play bigger than they actually are and faster than the trees around them. I'm sure there are even more examples through the years.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying she will be as good as any of these players so don't start the attack. But there is a style pattern between her and the likes of Collier, Tuck, Cash, and Turner. Geno loves a motorized semi-big who can play bigger than they actually are and faster than the trees around them. I'm sure there are even more examples through the years.
If Touly gets healthy we might have twins :)

Reaction Score
Well there is this evaluator of basketball talent named Geno Auriemma, right? I like to start the season with hope, not doubt. Geno notes she's a real ball handler which will facilitate her becoming a Husky. She has a full array of shots and she can bang and rebound. I like the odds on her far better than the die hard BC fans hopes.
Rocky I respect your opinions then too Geno is nearly the master of all thing WBB. Yet in many pre-seasons he has touted a dud here and there. He is not the Pope, infallible in all things basketball. His judgement in pre-season hypes has shown the human in him. He makes mistake.
Why? Sometimes to push a less than stellar kid to go beyond their abilities. Or to not embarrass the kid who fails, through no fault of their own to live up to incoming hype.
So, discount anything you choose to discount but please don't use Geno as your measuring stick on new kids. Think Bent, Irwin, Ekmark, there are other many others
It is not as though a Uconn fan does not want every kid on the roster to be another DT or CW or ONO---we all do. Reality (Real, Realistic) all say some kid or other isn't up to the hype given them. No disrespect. Reality, Real, Realistic

Reaction Score
Rocky I respect your opinions then too Geno is nearly the master of all thing WBB. Yet in many pre-seasons he has touted a dud here and there. He is not the Pope, infallible in all things basketball. His judgement in pre-season hypes has shown the human in him. He makes mistake.
Why? Sometimes to push a less than stellar kid to go beyond their abilities. Or to not embarrass the kid who fails, through no fault of their own to live up to incoming hype.
So, discount anything you choose to discount but please don't use Geno as your measuring stick on new kids. Think Bent, Irwin, Ekmark, there are other many others
It is not as though a Uconn fan does not want every kid on the roster to be another DT or CW or ONO---we all do. Reality (Real, Realistic) all say some kid or other isn't up to the hype given them. No disrespect. Reality, Real, Realistic
The ideal team is comprised of 8 rotation players and four practice payers, the latter are coachable, have good attitudes and are just happy to be part of the team, eh?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I don't think Geno has hyped Evelyn. Indeed, he said she has some catching up to do. As I said: It is my personal preference to enter the season with hope, rather than doubt. So I have hope for our newbie graduate player. I also like having 10 players. And I dislike the penchant of some here who pick someone every summer to start a drum beat of doubt about. It is tedious and tiresome as it is predictable. I don't include you in that category.

You do realize you just said Geno is a poor measuring stick of talent. Not all recruits will become starters and people here are fond of worrying about recruiting too much talent! What's a guy to do?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure how or when Geno's judgement became party of this discussion-clearly it should not be! The comparison to NB is an apt comparison because she was the last player to transfer from a mid-major program (Georgetown & George Mason) to & from UCONN. The BY is not the only forum for welcoming players to UCONN family-at least it is not a very good one. BY is a forum for discussing WCBB. There is room here for all of us where we can applaud @DavidinNaples enthusiasm for starting this thread and also respect the opinions of some that may want to temper that enthusiasm about Evelyn with their view of "realism". You can easily spot the real UCONN fans, they are the ones that are simultaneously telling you to temper the enthusiasm and in the very next sentence telling you that they hope they are wrong.

I absolutely wish the best for her and us but this is a forum for discussion and we are discussing.

I hope Evelyn is all David and others perceive. We need her to be everything they say. However, I shall await her stats on January first or March first ---if then she is all David and others say---the beer is on me.

It is not as though a Uconn fan does not want every kid on the roster to be another DT or CW or ONO---we all do.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
True.

Cropped_front_transparent.gif

Reaction Score
I didn't see this in the thread. FWIW Adebayo was discussed second in May as one of the 5 rising stars in WCBB for 2019-2020.

Reaction Score
I don't know if this was mentioned but in those games that were listed above against the better teams, although she played a lot of minutes and played in the post she had very few fouls but drew quite a few. There is a lot to like here. I agree that she will be in a different role at UConn so we can't just expect to plug in her points and rebounds, but she is a very skilled player with great experience and doesn't seem to have a weakness to exploit which would make her a liability to put out there.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When I look at this year’s UConn team, they appear to be loaded with shooters as well as players who can put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. If there is one question mark, it is that there is no one quite like Pheesa who can catch the ball in the paint with her back to the basket and score. The possible exception could be Evelyn. Evelyn is not Pheesa, but she has an array of funky playground moves in the paint that might just give opposing defenders fits.

If Evelyn proves to be a consistent low post scorer, the Huskies will be very difficult to defend. What else is new? :cool:

Reaction Score
Evelyn's stats above seem to say Tenn is better at FT defense than 2 point defense. Yet 28 points seems to indicate Evelyn plays well against the big boys (girls) of Tenn and Kentuck. Much better than our departed Butler whom I compare Evelyn to. If she has foot movement, a lack of butler, then possibly all you that predict her having good Div 1/Uconn games may be right. We do need her to be all that.

BWAY: Greetings, my friend. One of your posts in this thread says that the beer is on you.
Did you spill something, or are we on tap for a treat? If the latter, which I hope is the case, you know how to reach me regarding time and place.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't know if this was mentioned but in those games that were listed above against the better teams, although she played a lot of minutes and played in the post she had very few fouls but drew quite a few. There is a lot to like here. I agree that she will be in a different role at UConn so we can't just expect to plug in her points and rebounds, but she is a very skilled player with great experience and doesn't seem to have a weakness to exploit which would make her a liability to put out there.

Agree 100%. You're saying the same thing I did, only it didn't take you as long to say it. :D

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
When I look at this year’s UConn team, they appear to be loaded with shooters as well as players who can put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. If there is one question mark, it is that there is no one quite like Pheesa who can catch the ball in the paint with her back to the basket and score. The possible exception could be Evelyn. Evelyn is not Pheesa, but she has an array of funky playground moves in the paint that might just give opposing defenders fits.

If Evelyn proves to be a consistent low post scorer, the Huskies will be very difficult to defend. What else is new? :cool:
Just as importantly, if she shows she has the girth, quickness, and savvy to cover much taller 4's, this could be a very interesting year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom