Evelyn Adebayo may be better than most think... | The Boneyard

Evelyn Adebayo may be better than most think...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Evelyn.jpg

There are many things I don't know about Evelyn Adebayo, but there are two facts of which I'm certain. I don't know if she will start at UConn this season, come off the bench early in games, or remind fans of Morgan Tuck. I do know she was the best player at her last team, Murray State, and as such, was the main target of every opponent's game plan. She started all 30 games & played 34.9 minutes per game. She was a workhorse for the Racers and never wore down, playing 38 and 37 minutes in her final two games. Consider:

1. Best player on Murray State - Adebayo led her team in minutes played, field goals taken, points, total rebounds, made free throws, made baskets and field goal percentage inside the 3 point arc. Many of these stats were not close. Her 342 rebounds were equal to the next 3 starters combined. (342 vs 359) Evelyn scored 546 points, which was 159 more points than the 2nd leading scorer. Her 285 defensive rebounds were 30+ more than the next 3 players, combined. She was the best player by a mile...

2. Gameplan = stop Adebayo - Evelyn scored 39 points in her first 2 games last year. Opponents had a clear sign early in the season that beating Murray State meant stopping Adebayo. Her double-double average of 18.2 pts & 11.4 rebounds was achieved against opponents determined to stop her and make someone else step up. Her stats were impressive coming against double teams, box & ones or other defensive schemes.

3. At UConn, 5th option - Whether she starts or comes off the bench, Evelyn will not need to be the 1st, 2nd or 3rd option for the Huskies. Crystal, Megan, Christyn, and ONO will occupy most of the defensive effort. The 5th starter, whoever it is, will be able to do what they do as a role player, not the star. That is an incredible advantage for someone who carried her team last season.

4. By the way - Adebayo shot 36% on her 89 three-point attempts, better than Crystal's 35%. She made 78% of her 172 free throw tries, better than Megan's 74%. Her 285 defensive rebounds compare well to Napheesa's 288. (In 8 fewer games.) Evelyn was good enough to draw fouls that got her 172 free throws. Pheesa tried 188 free throws.

Adebayo gives Geno some of what graduated with Collier, rebounding and inside scoring. She also draws fouls, makes her free throws and can step out and hit a three. Time will tell if that get's her a starting role. IMO she will impress the skeptics. Thoughts...?

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She sounds very impressive. Although that 78% FT percentage gives me pause. I know that low FT% has become almost the norm in WCBB but I wish it wasn't so.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I will wait to assess as Natalie Butler was a beast for George Mason and Georgetown but a bit player for UConn. Anyone who predicts anything is basing it off of nothing concrete. I am happy to have her but we do not know what we have at this point in August. Let’s temper our enthusiasm until
November.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She sounds very impressive. Although that 78% FT percentage gives me pause. I know that low FT% has become almost the norm in WCBB but I wish it wasn't so.
Uh, 78% on FTs is not considered low. That is above average. UConn as a team shot 73% last year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here are my thoughts:

View attachment 45649

There are many things I don't know about Evelyn Adebayo, but there are two facts of which I'm certain. I don't know if she will start at UConn this season, come off the bench early in games, or remind fans of Morgan Tuck. I do know she was the best player at her last team, Murray State, and as such, was the main target of every opponent's game plan. She started all 30 games & played 34.9 minutes per game. She was a workhorse for the Racers and never wore down, playing 38 and 37 minutes in her final two games. Consider:

1. Best player on Murray State - Adebayo led her team in minutes played, field goals taken, points, total rebounds, made free throws, made baskets and field goal percentage inside the 3 point arc. Many of these stats were not close. Her 342 rebounds were equal to the next 3 starters combined. (342 vs 359) Evelyn scored 546 points, which was 159 more points than the 2nd leading scorer. Her 285 defensive rebounds were 30+ more than the next 3 players, combined. She was the best player by a mile...

2. Gameplan = stop Adebayo - Evelyn scored 39 points in her first 2 games last year. Opponents had a clear sign early in the season that beating Murray State meant stopping Adebayo. Her double-double average of 18.2 pts & 11.4 rebounds was achieved against opponents determined to stop her and make someone else step up. Her stats were impressive coming against double teams, box & ones or other defensive schemes.

3. At UConn, 5th option - Whether she starts or comes off the bench, Evelyn will not need to be the 1st, 2nd or 3rd option for the Huskies. Crystal, Megan, Christyn, and ONO will occupy most of the defensive effort. The 5th starter, whoever it is, will be able to do what they do as a role player, not the star. That is an incredible advantage for someone who carried her team last season.

4. By the way - Adebayo shot 36% on her 89 three-point attempts, better than Crystal's 35%. She made 78% of her 172 free throw tries, better than Megan's 74%. Her 285 defensive rebounds compare well to Napheesa's 288. (In 8 fewer games.) Evelyn was good enough to draw fouls that got her 172 free throws. Pheesa tried 188 free throws.

Adebayo gives Geno some of what graduated with Collier, rebounding and inside scoring. She also draws fouls, makes her free throws and can step out and hit a three. Time will tell if that get's her a starting role. IMO she will impress the skeptics. Thoughts...?

Go Huskies..!!

Oh, and one more: “Evelyn, this is all new for her. It’s a whole different scenario for her, and it’s going to take her some time to catch up," coach Geno Auriemma said. "But she’s really good with the ball, so it won’t take long.”

This is a year when we are going to have so much to talk about. The only people I worry about are us.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Thanks David you are in mid-season form!

This will be a very interesting season. Some contributors from last year will be taking on expanded roles, and quite a few intriguing new faces!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 45649

1. Best player on Murray State - Adebayo led her team in minutes played, field goals taken, points, total rebounds, made free throws, made baskets and field goal percentage inside the 3 point arc. Many of these stats were not close. Her 342 rebounds were equal to the

DAVID: persuasive and very impressive.

Reaction Score

I think you have unrealistic expectations, to say the least. The BEST FT pct of the 350 teams in D1 basketball last year was 80.0%. And only five teams in the nation shot better than Evelyn's 78%. Also UConn hasn't had a team in over a decade - if ever - that shot better than 80% for the season. Their average over the past decade has been about 76% - so she is better than the long-term UConn average.

Reaction Score
I will wait to assess as Natalie Butler was a beast for George Mason and Georgetown but a bit player for UConn. Anyone who predicts anything is basing it off of nothing concrete. I am happy to have her but we do not know what we have at this point in August. Let’s temper our enthusiasm until
November.
When Butler played for UConn there was way more talent on the roster, especially in the post so the need for Butler wasn't as great. I think Adebayo will do very well this upcoming season.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I will wait to assess as Natalie Butler was a beast for George Mason and Georgetown but a bit player for UConn. Anyone who predicts anything is basing it off of nothing concrete. I am happy to have her but we do not know what we have at this point in August. Let’s temper our enthusiasm until November.

Three games is a small sample but they hold some hope for Evelyn against UCONN's non-conference schedule. Although the 9 turnovers against Kentucky is not good.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
View attachment 45649

Go Huskies..!!
It’s great to read a well stated, compelling argument. I agree wholeheartedly with the OP’s conclusions and look forward to Evelyn’s dizzying array of spin moves and creative shot making that will be on full display this season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
View attachment 45649

Go Huskies..!!

Great post, thanks David. I'd like to piggyback on your comments if I may....................three things that seem evident to me here:
1. She has a motor similar to that of Nurse and Collier, she doesn't stop moving, and does not tire easily. Whether she starts or not, she can be counted on (if needed) to give you 35+ "quality" minutes a game (and stay out of foul trouble).

2. She's a warrior. She won't quit on you. She's very happy to be here, she wants to win and she'll give you everything she has. You know what you’re going to get from her every game.

3. She's a 5th year senior. She's not new to D1 WCBB. Don't expect it to take her as long to adjust to "UConn basketball" as it does most freshmen. Here's why........Incoming freshmen have to make adjustments to D1 WCBB that she has already made.

This IS NOT her first rodeo. She has 3 full seasons under her belt, plus a red-shirt season of practicing with her team everyday for 5 months, watching a full season of games up close from the bench, and watching/listening to coaches in team meetings the last 4 years. That's very important.

She brings a high BB IQ with her. She understands the game. That no doubt came across to the coaches during their one-on-one interviews which lead them to offer her. I don’t think Geno brings her in if he didn’t think she could help. I also think she will impress the skeptics.

I don't think it will take her as long as some may think to learn and adjust to Geno's system. I think she gains Geno's trust early on. Think about it for a moment........what can Geno ask her to do that she has not already done? Because of this, I think there’s a good chance she’ll be comfortable enough with the offensive/defensive plays, sets and assignments) by game #3 (Virginia + the two exhibition games), to be an asset on the floor. She'll be doing the same things she's been doing, just for a different coach, with different players and within a different system at a higher level. The only difference is that she won't be asked to carry the load or be THE go to player.

Division II Trevecca Nazarene out of Nashville Tennessee will be one of their 2019 exhibition opponents, anyone know who the other exhibition team is? Between critiquing her game on film, getting feedback and instruction from her coaches and teammates, she'll be fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
November.
As negative as thi may sound to some, I agree. Butler in GM was a standout and collected awards internally and externally, yet she remained the sam Butler that departed Uconn. The world of playing in Uconn VS that talent or GM facing that talent is light years apart.
I hope Evelyn is all David and others perceive. We need her to be everything they say. However, I shall await her stats on January first or March first ---if then she is all David and others say---the beer is on me. We NEED her to be another TUCK--we truly do. Reality is seeing what actually is there.

Reaction Score
Great post, thanks David. I'd like to piggyback on your comments if I may.....three things that seem evident to me here:
1. She has a motor similar to that of Nurse and Collier, she doesn't stop moving, and does not tire easily. Whether she starts or not, she can be counted on (if needed) to give you 35+ "quality" minutes a game (and stay out of foul trouble).
2. She's a baller. She won't quit on you. She's very happy to be here, she wants to win and she'll give you everything she has. She's a warrior. You know she's going to show up for every game.
3. She's a 5th year senior. She's not new to D1 WCBB. Don't expect it to take her as long to adjust to "UConn basketball" as it does most freshmen. Here's why...Incoming freshmen have to make adjusts to D1 WCBB that she has already made. This IS NOT her first rodeo. She has 3 full seasons under her belt, plus a red-shirt season of practicing with her team everyday for 5 months, and watching games up close from the bench, and watching/listening to coaches in team meetings the last 4 years. That's very important. She brings a high BB IQ with her. She understands the game.

I predict it won't take her as long as some may think to learn and adjust to Geno's system. Think about it for a moment.....what can Geno ask her to do that she has not already done? :eek: I'm going out on a limb right now and predict she'll have the system (and understand all plays and defensive assignments) down pat by game #5 (Virginia). I'm including the 2 exhibition games in which she should get lots of PT. Between critiquing her game on film, and getting feedback and instruction from her coaches and teammates, she'll be fine.
Evelyn's stats above seem to say Tenn is better at FT defense than 2 point defense. Yet 28 points seems to indicate Evelyn plays well against the big boys (girls) of Tenn and Kentuck. Much better than our departed Butler whom I compare Evelyn to. If she has foot movement, a lack of butler, then possibly all you that predict her having good Div 1/Uconn games may be right. We do need her to be all that.

Reaction Score
I think it will all depend on maturity as to which 2 of ONO, Adebayo, and Westbrook will start. Walker can play the 3 or 4 so its all up to these 3 on who starts.

Reaction Score
As negative as thi may sound to some, I agree. Butler in GM was a standout and collected awards internally and externally, yet she remained the sam Butler that departed Uconn. The world of playing in Uconn VS that talent or GM facing that talent is light years apart.
I hope Evelyn is all David and others perceive. We need her to be everything they say. However, I shall await her stats on January first or March first ---if then she is all David and others say---the beer is on me. We NEED her to be another TUCK--we truly do. Reality is seeing what actually is there.

Another Tuck? I think it’s safe to say that while Adebayo may be good, she’s not going to be another Tuck.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Evelyn's stats above seem to say Tenn is better at FT defense than 2 point defense. Yet 28 points seems to indicate Evelyn plays well against the big boys (girls) of Tenn and Kentuck. Much better than our departed Butler whom I compare Evelyn to. If she has foot movement, a lack of butler, then possibly all you that predict her having good Div 1/Uconn games may be right. We do need her to be all that.

Unfortunately, Evelyn is being (I think) unfairly compared to Natalie Butler. :confused: Why are some UConn supporters so quick to put that negative yoke around HER neck? They're two totally different players. If you're going to compare the two, you must wait until Adebayo has a sufficient number of games this season to put along side Butler's, and then compare the stats. Some are suggesting (and are positive they are right) she will follow in the footsteps of Butler, even though she hasn't played a game yet. Welcome to UConn Evelyn.

Evina Westbrook came from a program that one poster called "dysfunctional" and very stressful. She endured substandard coaching and the team failed to achieve the preseason expectations of its players, fans or the media. That failure includes falling out of the top 25 for the first time in decades. I don’t read anyone questioning HER skill set or achievement potential at UConn. Like Adebayo, she was a good player on a bad team.

The only similarity between Adebayo and Butler is that they both came from a mid-major program. Instead of predicting that she won’t fair any better than Butler, why not give her the benefit of the doubt, and take a wait and see approach? :rolleyes: Wait until the Christmas break. We'll have 6-7 days beween games for all of us to compare what she has done up to that point (9 games) with what Butler did in the same number of games.

How about giving Geno credit for knowing what he’s doing (trusting his judgment), and being able to evaluate talent that can translate and rise to the elite D1 level. He has not forgotten Natalie Butler, or her inability to reprise the level of play that she was able to consistently exhibit her freshman year at Georgetown.

Evelyn should be given the benefit of the doubt, and judged on her contributions to the team at the end of the season. We’re putting some bad Mojo on her before she’s played a single game. We're better than that.

UCONN NATION - We think of ourselves as some of the most supportive, knowledgeable and passionate fans in WCBB. If we are, then what kind of “welcome to the family” vibes are we extending to her? :confused:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I hope she starts or gets significant minutes, I hate to see players grad transfer and not contribute heavily.

Trust ol Carnac, Adebayo will see a significant amount of pt whether she starts or not. ;) Crystal Dangerfield will be the only other player on the roster with 3 years of significant playing experience. A dynamic that will not go unnoticed by Geno. You trust your seniors. Bent and Irwin will also be seniors, but with very limited "quality" playing time. Never the less, they will be expected to provide senior leadership.

Adebayo has already proven to be a work horse. She’s durable and has a high motor. She started in all 30 games for Murray State this past season, and did all the heavy lifting averaging 34.9 mpg. She won't be asked to do everything here. She'll simply be asked to be a role player, and do her job. There's an old adage that says "the best prediction of future behavior is past behavior." (a la Antonio Brown)

Let’s look at (and assess) her production and contribution to the team at the Christmas break, 9 games into the season. We're going to have lots of things to talk about the 6-7 days between games (breakdown the team's play of the first half) and look ahead as UConn prepares for their farewell tour around the American. This can be one of them. I could be wrong, but I don't think Evelyn will disappoint. If she does, we can talk about that too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When you lose by BIG margins, stats don't have much meaning during "garbage" time. That said, I till see a bright future for EA on the Huskies .. IMHO she is a perfect fit .. she adds needed toughness to an otherwise finesse team .. plus added depth will allow the entire team to play tougher without the fear of fouling out

Reaction Score
When you lose by BIG margins, stats don't have much meaning during "garbage" time.

That's a good point, but to evaluate it we need to look at how she did in garbage time vs those three teams. It turns out she scored at a bit faster pace in the fourth quarters of those games but actually got fewer rebounds.

Scoring: First 3 quarters - 48 points, final quarter - 23 points
Rebounds: First 3 quarters - 22 boards, final quarter - 5 boards.

So taking the stats from her first three quarters - when she was facing regulars - and extrapolating it out for a full game, she would have a grand total of 64 points (21.3 ppg) and 29.3 rebounds (9.8 rpg).

Reaction Score
wow i m impressed that you got quarter-by-quarter stats .. i have seen fim on EA and have seen Griffen in person several times .. both will have BIG impacts on the coming season .. I CAN'T WAIT! haha

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom