Evaluation of Adama’s High Hedge - Here is why we do this! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evaluation of Adama’s High Hedge - Here is why we do this!

caw

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I don't think Adama hedges as long, or as far as Whaley did last year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Theres a lot here and I am not going into where I agree and don't on each play. You did your homework - Thanks much
The high hedge or what appeared to be an attempt to do so didn't work last season at all for many reasons and AS getting tired is definitely one of them - this year he has a back up that allows him down time.
The wearing down of AS was one of Chief00's largest concerns last year as well as the fear of leaving the baseline/bottom of the key open - all valid
The roster is different the team athleticism is different and lends itself to working the hedge better at a higher rate, however if the timing isnt perfect and the focus of all 5 Huskies on the court isnt there- they are going to ger burned
Happy Holidays

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I don't think Adama hedges as long, or as far as Whaley did last year.
Whaley was the freaking gold standard of the high hedge. He’d be out there, hold it as long as reasonably possible, and then drop back. Although, I’m sure it happened, I don’t remember him ever getting beat on it. It was a real pleasure to watch.

Reaction Score
It will probably work better for many of the folks here than the other one that comes to mind -

“Cheif00: Right Again”

Especially coming off the success of the Andre Jackson, N I L event that he put together, and knowing that there’s some more on the way, it’s kind of tough to be too critical of the guy, but maybe that’s just me.
Yup. Just you

Reaction Score
My only concern on using our center on the high hedge was when we played Creighton at Creighton last year, they were able to continually exploit it and we never attempted to change up our approach.

Kalkbrenner would aet a high screen, Sanogo would hedge on the ball handler, giving Kalkbrenner separation to roll to the basket and an easy pass to the 7'2" guy turned into an easy layup.

In this one matchup, we would have been far better served if we only hedged occasionally. Throw a couple 'breaking balls' when they are expecting fastballs and they'll need to think about their approach.
The difference this year is that our smallest guy on the court is a long 6'5" guy. The key is to put a lot of ball pressure on the passer(s).

Reaction Score
It will probably work better for many of the folks here than the other one that comes to mind -

Especially coming off the success of the Andre Jackson, N I L event that he put together, and knowing that there’s some more on the way, it’s kind of tough to be too critical of the guy, but maybe that’s just me.

Yeah, it’s mostly you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, it’s mostly you.
Perhaps. I’ve always been partial to people who are productive versus those who sit on the sidelines sniping.

pj

Reaction Score

Chief is an upbeat, positive, entertaining guy. I don't get the Chief hate. I enjoy his posts. And the NIL event shows he's going above and beyond in his support for UConn.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The hedge is great, most college ball handlers have a mental breakdown when that much pressure is thrown in their face. You have to adjust if the roller keeps taking advantage of his mismatches though, which Hurley knows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom