Evaluation of Adama’s High Hedge - Here is why we do this! | The Boneyard

Evaluation of Adama’s High Hedge - Here is why we do this!

Reaction Score
There are many on this board that are steadfast in their hatred of the high-hedge. I also posted this in Chief's latest briefs, but since it's been a couple days since the game, threads are starting to get buried.

I rewatched the game and here's a summary of the outcomes of every Adama high-hedge during the game. I dare the haters to watch these plays and not objectively at least moderate their opinions.

Happy holidays to all on the Yard!!!!

Chief's crazy battle against the high-hedge continues unabated!

First, let's establish that the high-hedge "wasting Adama energy" is really no longer a valid argument anymore. He is well-conditioned, and we can manage his minutes well this year with Donovan as his back-up. Plus other small-ball line-ups, as needed.

I went and rewatched the game to evaluate every instance where Adama high-hedged and the outcomes...

#1 - He high-hedges, falls back into paint coverage, Spears does a bunch of hero ball, drains the fallaway elbow jumper. Zip-zero-nada bad outcomes.

#2 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Quick high-hedge, falls back into coverage at foul line. Rest of the play is irrelevant.

#3 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown This play is not really a high hedge, but Adama does quick switch off the screen briefly, then recovers back into the paint on Wahab. Re-establishes good D position, Wahab get the feed at least 5 sec after the hedge occurs. Backs Adama down into the paint, pump fakes, throws up a front-iron jumper that walks its way over the rim and in. Hedge was irrelevant to the play.

#4 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Big high hedge, but recovers in plenty of time. 8 seconds later, a wild shot from the right, Wahab boxes out Adama, gets the weak side rebound. Hedge had no negative effect on the outcome.

#5 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Switches off the high screen, overanticipates Spears' lateral movement; Spears cuts back to the left, and scissors in-between the screener, Newton, and Sanogo. Oops. But note that Andre has slid over as help and is waiting in the paint for Spears. Alters the shot, and Spears misses the layup.

#6 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown GTown pushes the ball up, and gets the ball to Wahab before any defense can get set up. Sanogo is there for D, but Wahab sinks a jump hook over him in the lane.

#7 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Andre & Adama on this play. Wahab sets up for a screen, but it's a fake screen. Adama switches over to the ballhandler, Andre stays in position while Wahab releases to the basket. Ballhandler does a fade-back lob pass to the cutting Wahab, which nearly gets picked off by Joey C, who helps over into the lane. Some contact made, and a foul was called on Joey. Not really a high hedge, and not really Adama "getting burned"

#8 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown See #5. Essentially the same exact play, but this time, Sanogo and Newton play better D. Spears loses the handle, and turns it over.

#9 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Wahab "burns" Adama again. Is it off a high hedge? Nope, just a standard dumpdown on the blocks. Wahab makes a nice move into the lane, and drains the jumper in the lane.

#10 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Here comes another high-hedge. Murray as the ballhandler. Does Adama get burned? If you call Murray making an errant pass out of bounds as a turnover a "burn", then maybe. But probably not.

#11 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Deja-vu. Wahab "burns" Adama again. Is it off a high hedge? Nope, just a standard dumpdown on the blocks. Wahab makes a nice move into the lane, and drains the jumper in the lane.

#12 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown A somewhat odd play. High screen gets set up, but Spears doesn't really take it. Newton stays on him, but Adama comes off the screen for what appears to be a trap? Unfortunately, it looks like Adama may have tripped over Newton's feet, and falls down. But, screener did nothing relevant, as on this set play, he sees Karaban and Jackson covering the paint, then immediately goes over to set another high screen for a wing.

#13 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Adama does the high hedge, Ezewiro cuts down the lane, but Andre is there for the defense. Adama quickly recovers, Andre switches off Ezewiro, and goes back to cover his man, who is now out in the weak side corner. Know what I take from this? DAMN I love our defense!!!

2nd Half:

#14 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown This isnt really a high hedge, more of a screen switch. Is this a missed switch by Newton or a designed delayed doubleteam? Wahab cuts down the lane. Spears feeds him. Andre is helping over, goes for the steal, but misses it, leaving Wahab a good look at a layup & commits the foul. Don't really think this is a "burn" of Adama.

#15 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown High-hedge! But nothing really bad nor good comes out of it.

#16 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown High-hedge! But nothing really bad nor good comes out of it.

#17 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Not really a full-on balls-out high hedge, but Adama switches off the high screen, pokes the ball away from Spears, and causes a turnover. Is this a "Sanogo burn"?

#18 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown High-hedge, recovers. Later in the play, Wahab gets the ball after an errant pass from Spears, makes a move into the lane, pump-fakes, gets Sanogo to bite, draws contact and a foul. Hedge was irrelevant.

#19 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown With about 3:25 left in the game, we finally get to a Adama high-hedge that didn't work out well. Wahab quick-cuts to the hoop. Joey is in the lane, but starts to run out to a GTown player out beyond the 3pt arc before Sanogo can recover. Spears gets by Diarra enough to get a pass down to Wahab, who pump-fakes Sanogo, and draws a (questionable) foul from Diarra on the help play.

#20 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown High-hedge! But nothing really bad nor good comes out of it.

#21 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown This is more of a double-team than a high-hedge, but nothing bad comes out of it. Sanogo switches out of the double, gets back into the paint in good position to pick up a rebound from a forced 3 from Spears (didn't get the rebound, but in good position...the brick hits hard off the rim and goes out to the top of the key, where Andre grabs it, pushes the pace, and drops a dime to Hawk)

Conclusion:

Low risks, high rewards. Sounds like a good defensive strategy to me...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Actually, there weren't 21 HH's, but 21 plays worth evaluating where Adama "might" have gotten burned on D. Sorry...can't change the thread title...
Tell me what you want. Already made one change.

Reaction Score
There are many on this board that are steadfast in their hatred of the high-hedge. I also posted this in Chief's latest briefs, but since it's been a couple days since the game, threads are starting to get buried.

I rewatched the game and here's a summary of the outcomes of every Adama high-hedge during the game. I dare the haters to watch these plays and not objectively at least moderate their opinions.

First, let's establish that the high-hedge "wasting Adama energy" is really no longer a valid argument anymore. He is well-conditioned, and we can manage his minutes well this year with Donovan as his back-up. Plus other small-ball line-ups, as needed.

I went and rewatched the game to evaluate every instance where Adama high-hedged and the outcomes...

#1 - He high-hedges, falls back into paint coverage, Spears does a bunch of hero ball, drains the fallaway elbow jumper. Zip-zero-nada bad outcomes.

#2 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Quick high-hedge, falls back into coverage at foul line. Rest of the play is irrelevant.

#3 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown This play is not really a high hedge, but Adama does quick switch off the screen briefly, then recovers back into the paint on Wahab. Re-establishes good D position, Wahab get the feed at least 5 sec after the hedge occurs. Backs Adama down into the paint, pump fakes, throws up a front-iron jumper that walks its way over the rim and in. Hedge was irrelevant to the play.

#4 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Big high hedge, but recovers in plenty of time. 8 seconds later, a wild shot from the right, Wahab boxes out Adama, gets the weak side rebound. Hedge had no negative effect on the outcome.

#5 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Switches off the high screen, overanticipates Spears' lateral movement; Spears cuts back to the left, and scissors in-between the screener, Newton, and Sanogo. Oops. But note that Andre has slid over as help and is waiting in the paint for Spears. Alters the shot, and Spears misses the layup.

#6 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown GTown pushes the ball up, and gets the ball to Wahab before any defense can get set up. Sanogo is there for D, but Wahab sinks a jump hook over him in the lane.

#7 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Andre & Adama on this play. Wahab sets up for a screen, but it's a fake screen. Adama switches over to the ballhandler, Andre stays in position while Wahab releases to the basket. Ballhandler does a fade-back lob pass to the cutting Wahab, which nearly gets picked off by Joey C, who helps over into the lane. Some contact made, and a foul was called on Joey. Not really a high hedge, and not really Adama "getting burned"

#8 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown See #5. Essentially the same exact play, but this time, Sanogo and Newton play better D. Spears loses the handle, and turns it over.

#9 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Wahab "burns" Adama again. Is it off a high hedge? Nope, just a standard dumpdown on the blocks. Wahab makes a nice move into the lane, and drains the jumper in the lane.

#10 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Here comes another high-hedge. Murray as the ballhandler. Does Adama get burned? If you call Murray making an errant pass out of bounds as a turnover a "burn", then maybe. But probably not.

#11 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Deja-vu. Wahab "burns" Adama again. Is it off a high hedge? Nope, just a standard dumpdown on the blocks. Wahab makes a nice move into the lane, and drains the jumper in the lane.

#12 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown A somewhat odd play. High screen gets set up, but Spears doesn't really take it. Newton stays on him, but Adama comes off the screen for what appears to be a trap? Unfortunately, it looks like Adama may have tripped over Newton's feet, and falls down. But, screener did nothing relevant, as on this set play, he sees Karaban and Jackson covering the paint, then immediately goes over to set another high screen for a wing.

#13 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Adama does the high hedge, Ezewiro cuts down the lane, but Andre is there for the defense. Adama quickly recovers, Andre switches off Ezewiro, and goes back to cover his man, who is now out in the weak side corner. Know what I take from this? DAMN I love our defense!!!

2nd Half:

#14 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown This isnt really a high hedge, more of a screen switch. Is this a missed switch by Newton or a designed delayed doubleteam? Wahab cuts down the lane. Spears feeds him. Andre is helping over, goes for the steal, but misses it, leaving Wahab a good look at a layup & commits the foul. Don't really think this is a "burn" of Adama.

#15 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown High-hedge! But nothing really bad nor good comes out of it.

#16 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown High-hedge! But nothing really bad nor good comes out of it.

#17 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown Not really a full-on balls-out high hedge, but Adama switches off the high screen, pokes the ball away from Spears, and causes a turnover. Is this a "Sanogo burn"?

#18 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown High-hedge, recovers. Later in the play, Wahab gets the ball after an errant pass from Spears, makes a move into the lane, pump-fakes, gets Sanogo to bite, draws contact and a foul. Hedge was irrelevant.

#19 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown With about 3:25 left in the game, we finally get to a Adama high-hedge that didn't work out well. Wahab quick-cuts to the hoop. Joey is in the lane, but starts to run out to a GTown player out beyond the 3pt arc before Sanogo can recover. Spears gets by Diarra enough to get a pass down to Wahab, who pump-fakes Sanogo, and draws a (questionable) foul from Diarra on the help play.

#20 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown High-hedge! But nothing really bad nor good comes out of it.

#21 - 12/20/2022 - UConn Men's Basketball vs. Georgetown This is more of a double-team than a high-hedge, but nothing bad comes out of it. Sanogo switches out of the double, gets back into the paint in good position to pick up a rebound from a forced 3 from Spears (didn't get the rebound, but in good position...the brick hits hard off the rim and goes out to the top of the key, where Andre grabs it, pushes the pace, and drops a dime to Hawk)

Conclusion:

I think something folks tend to forget with the high-hedge is 50% of the defense is on the help, too. Reading the high-hedge and being there to stand up against the roller takes serious chemistry with the other big.

That being said, yeah... it's a solid defense. Anyone saying NEVER high-hedge was ridiculous. It has a time and place. Clearly, vs. Georgetown, this was the time and place.

Great analysis. Keep it up!

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I've been wondering about the high hedge and why we use it so often and whether it helps our defense. Thank you for the analysis, which helps me understand that it is indeed an effective tool. Adama is amazing in the way he gets out on the high hedge so quickly and, with speed and impeccable timing, returns to the low post to guard his man.

Reaction Score
I've been wondering about the high hedge and why we use it so often and whether it helps our defense. Thank you for the analysis, which helps me understand that it is indeed an effective tool. Adama is amazing in the way he gets out on the high hedge so quickly and, with speed and impeccable timing, returns to the low post to guard his man.

The other thing that I noticed during the rewatch is the baseline/weak side help seems to deliberately make the roller look much more open than he actually is…temping the ball handler to lob it in there for a steal attempt. It almost worked 3 times that I remembered. Andre & Joey were both a hair away from steals and either just missed or made just enough contact to get called for a foul.

Brilliant cat-and-mouse game

Reaction Score

2nd Half:

Conclusion:

Really good review. This reminds me to keep my mouth shut unless I absolutely know what I am talking about. No room for nonchalance with this group!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

2nd Half:

Conclusion:

I liked this post just for the sheer amount of time and effort. It took to construct it. Well done. That is quality Boneyarding.

Some observations. I note that you acknowledged the validity of the Adama getting tired last season. That was a court basis of what chief was talking about last year, and it’s been acknowledged both by Danny and by Adama. I think we all can agree that Chiefs observation on this was correct, or minimally valid. I agree with you 100% that Donovan’s surprising emergence this year, minimizes that concern, if not illuminates it entirely.

I think a lot of the concern, perhaps, not by chief, I really don’t remember, but by many on the board wasn’t so much the high hedges usefulness, but that it was exploitable by opponents, if used as a staple. I still think that’s true, but I think this year a lot of things are happening that make it less of an issue. First, as we talked about above, Clingans, emergence, put this into a position we’re having a big spend more energy isn’t as costly to us. We can have guys do it and get back without worrying about them being too tired to do it efficiently at the end of the game. It also doesn’t feel to me, and I have by no means done the kind of extensive game, rewatch that you have, that we are relying on it as much. I think that we have the personnel that allows Hurley the ability to use it effectively during a game, and, not use it during on any given possession. That’s a nice tool for Danny to have.

Here’s the thing, though, Hurley knows more about basketball, and certainly more about this team, then every single person on this board. He’s doing “pretty good” this year, so it’s tough to be critical of his choices. That said, this kind of debate is what makes a quality message board.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My only concern on using our center on the high hedge was when we played Creighton at Creighton last year, they were able to continually exploit it and we never attempted to change up our approach.

Kalkbrenner would aet a high screen, Sanogo would hedge on the ball handler, giving Kalkbrenner separation to roll to the basket and an easy pass to the 7'2" guy turned into an easy layup.

In this one matchup, we would have been far better served if we only hedged occasionally. Throw a couple 'breaking balls' when they are expecting fastballs and they'll need to think about their approach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think something folks tend to forget with the high-hedge is 50% of the defense is on the help, too. Reading the high-hedge and being there to stand up against the roller takes serious chemistry with the other big.

That being said, yeah... it's a solid defense. Anyone saying NEVER high-hedge was ridiculous. It has a time and place. Clearly, vs. Georgetown, this was the time and place.

Great analysis. Keep it up!
Agreed. My complaint last year was that we often left the lane open, and when facing a two big offense gave up some easy buckets. The other impact can be rebounding. Georgetown didn’t do it, but other teams have put up outside shots while our 5 was outside to take advantage on the boards. Certainly Georgetown crushed us on the boards so we may want to consider rebounding position as well.

Dan is using it more judiciously this season. Clingan almost never does it. I think that’s the right approach. It’s a situational tool.

Reaction Score
My only concern on using our center on the high hedge was when we played Creighton at Creighton last year, they were able to continually exploit it and we never attempted to change up our approach.

Kalkbrenner would aet a high screen, Sanogo would hedge on the ball handler, giving Kalkbrenner separation to roll to the basket and an easy pass to the 7'2" guy turned into an easy layup.

In this one matchup, we would have been far better served if we only hedged occasionally. Throw a couple 'breaking balls' when they are expecting fastballs and they'll need to think about their approach.
We weren't even high hedging against Creighton last year, we were just playing awful pick and roll defense. Adama was in no man's land where he couldn't defend Kalkbrenner rolling or the guy with the ball.

At this point the term "high hedge" on the Boneyard has just become synonymous with "defense I don't like"

Reaction Score
Could part of last seasons problem be that UConn didn't have the same taller and quicker guards that they have this year?

Reaction Score
I love Adama's ability to execute a hedge, then get back to his assigned opposing player. Not many bigs can do that.
Yes, there is a vulnerability, a brief exposure that could be exploited, but it's a high risk play that relies on the opposing 5 being able to anticipate and move quickly, and a passer that has room to make the pass and is able to complete it without it getting tipped or intercepted. It's not as easy as it looks. With Sanogo's quickness, it almost a trap play. I believe Georgetown was the first team this season able to capitalize on it, but it surprises that more don't try, but there is a risk.

Reaction Score
what about both him (if he is tall enough) and clingan doing a Kornet Kontest instead of high hedging? Save some energy. Keep big guy down low.

Reaction Score
Some observations. I note that you acknowledged the validity of the Adama getting tired last season. That was a court basis of what chief was talking about last year, and it’s been acknowledged both by Danny and by Adama. I think we all can agree that Chiefs observation on this was correct, or minimally valid. I agree with you 100%
I think we found a new slogan!

"Chief00: Minimally valid"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think we found a new slogan!

"Chief00: Minimally valid"
It will probably work better for many of the folks here than the other one that comes to mind -

“Cheif00: Right Again”

Especially coming off the success of the Andre Jackson, N I L event that he put together, and knowing that there’s some more on the way, it’s kind of tough to be too critical of the guy, but maybe that’s just me.

Reaction Score
GREAT analysis, time consuming and thought invoking work.

One aspect I think that's ignored from the folks who don't like the hedge is that we do it well. There really is an all or nothing approach. Meaning you either go all in and hard hedge, stopping any play development, or you say and don't hedge. There are plenty of games from other good teams around the country that try to play the high hedge game and do it so poorly. If I had the time, I'd go back through games I've seen and put a similar post of plays when a hard hedge is don't ineffectively, to show what we could look like if we ran a bad high hedge scheme.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
It will probably work better for many of the folks here than the other one that comes to mind -

Especially coming off the success of the Andre Jackson, N I L event that he put together, and knowing that there’s some more on the way, it’s kind of tough to be too critical of the guy, but maybe that’s just me.
Not enough for me.

Reaction Score
I liked this post just for the sheer amount of time and effort. It took to construct it. Well done. That is quality Boneyarding.

Some observations. I note that you acknowledged the validity of the Adama getting tired last season. That was a court basis of what chief was talking about last year, and it’s been acknowledged both by Danny and by Adama. I think we all can agree that Chiefs observation on this was correct, or minimally valid. I agree with you 100% that Donovan’s surprising emergence this year, minimizes that concern, if not illuminates it entirely.

I think a lot of the concern, perhaps, not by chief, I really don’t remember, but by many on the board wasn’t so much the high hedges usefulness, but that it was exploitable by opponents, if used as a staple. I still think that’s true, but I think this year a lot of things are happening that make it less of an issue. First, as we talked about above, Clingans, emergence, put this into a position we’re having a big spend more energy isn’t as costly to us. We can have guys do it and get back without worrying about them being too tired to do it efficiently at the end of the game. It also doesn’t feel to me, and I have by no means done the kind of extensive game, rewatch that you have, that we are relying on it as much. I think that we have the personnel that allows Hurley the ability to use it effectively during a game, and, not use it during on any given possession. That’s a nice tool for Danny to have.

Here’s the thing, though, Hurley knows more about basketball, and certainly more about this team, then every single person on this board. He’s doing “pretty good” this year, so it’s tough to be critical of his choices. That said, this kind of debate is what makes a quality message board.
Adama has also significantly cut down the fouls on the high hedge this year. I think that was partly driven by his general overuse last year, which we saw manifest in a lot of areas down the stretch, and partly on him just not being nearly as good at it as he is this year. The opposing scouting report was clearly for the ball handler to drive right at his hip, knowing there was a solid shot to draw a foul well away from the basket. Can’t remember the last of those fouls he’s drawn this year.

Reaction Score
Great data. High-hedge certainly works. Not a lot of teams can exploit it.

Reaction Score

For me it has nothing to do with how correct he is or how involved he actually is (when it often seems like he's lying, see "Drummond, Andre"). He simply puts forth an unlikable persona. I'm happy to oblige by not liking it. At any rate, it's all in good fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom