ESPNW's impact newcomers for this season. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPNW's impact newcomers for this season.

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to seeing how Syla Swords plays in Michigan and how that all plays out.
Agree. Among ballyhooed (by some) prospects, she has an unusually divergent set of recruiting rankings: HoopGurlz # 4, Prospects Nation # 35, ASGR # 15, Blue Star # 33.

Reaction Score
Don’t get me wrong. I still consider SC the obvious favorite to win the NC. I’m just struck by the way potential is used to evaluate teams and players.

Dawn has put together an impressive frontcourt. The loss of Cardoso shouldn’t slow them down much. But after Cardoso and Watkins, there isn’t a ton of experience. I like Feagin’s potential and expect her to thrive. And surely one of Dauda Tac and Walker has the potential to step up too.

It’s been a while since Dawn has had to rely so much on potential.
’potential’ was the knock on SC going into last season

Reaction Score
’potential’ was the knock on SC going into last season
It's true, but Cardoso Hall Feagin and Raven represented a smal veteran core. Tac and Walker were not needed to cary a burden. Now they are needed. I look forward to seeing how they'll do next to Dauda Feagin and Kitts.

Reaction Score
Don’t get me wrong. I still consider SC the obvious favorite to win the NC. I’m just struck by the way potential is used to evaluate teams and players.

Dawn has put together an impressive frontcourt. The loss of Cardoso shouldn’t slow them down much. But after Cardoso and Watkins, there isn’t a ton of experience. I like Feagin’s potential and expect her to thrive. And surely one of Dauda Tac and Walker has the potential to step up too.

You mean since last year when she lost 4 1/2 starters and had only a half starter back. The 4 1/2 others all had “ potential.”

Reaction Score
No Kennedy Smith? I could see her being national freshman of the year.

As for Syla Swords. I was desperate for UConn to recruit her. I am going to root for her even at Michigan. She is the newcomer I am most interested in watching.

Reaction Score

Feagin and Walker are seniors.

Kitts is a junior that started for the undefeated national champion last year.

Dada started 33 SEC games last year, averaged 28 minutes, and led the league in blocks.

Edwards is a college freshman that has played in 14-15 international games as headliner of team USA the last two summers and went for 19 and 12 in her first outing.

I guess Tac is pretty inexperienced.

given what some other contenders are depending on, I’ll take it.

Reaction Score
No Kennedy Smith? I could see her being national freshman of the year.

As for Syla Swords. I was desperate for UConn to recruit her. I am going to root for her even at Michigan. She is the newcomer I am most interested in watching.

on that team, I don’t see her getting a lot of shots, but she’s very likely to be very good.

I think UConn really, really needs Strong to play well tohave much of a chance so I’d make her the favorite.

Reaction Score
I think strong is already UConn’s second best player. The notion by some that she might not start puzzles me.

Reaction Score
Feagin and Walker are seniors.

Kitts is a junior that started for the undefeated national champion last year.

Dada started 33 SEC games last year, averaged 28 minutes, and led the league in blocks.

Edwards is a college freshman that has played in 14-15 international games as headliner of team USA the last two summers and went for 19 and 12 in her first outing.

I guess Tac is pretty inexperienced.

given what some other contenders are depending on, I’ll take it.
I’m not sure what you’re arguing for here. All I’m really saying is that there are real challenges for SC this season and that’s why it will be wonderful to watch. We shouldn’t shy away from admitting that Tac Edwards and Walker have very little experience in Dawn’s system. Kitts has one season — a junior but effectively a sophomore. Dauda has no experience in Dawn’s system. Feagin has lots of experience. So does Watkins.

I’m not trying to dismiss any of these kids. Maybe Dauda’s experience elsewhere, and Walker’s too, will translate well. And maybe Kitts is ready for a sophomore leap. She certainly played pretty well last season. And Tac may very well impress in her debut. I think Dawn is very capable of pulling great things from kids like this.

The same sorts of things are regularly leveled at UConn. Brady is just a sophomore who floundered in the first half of last season. Samuels too. Chen is coming from a different system. El Alfy has yet to play in a D1 game, but she’s had lots of experience in international games. Strong is a freshman with lots of international experience but little else. Ziebel and Cheli have no experience. Patterson is another sophomore who’s sat out too long. All that’s really left is Bueckers. The loss of Muhl and Edward’s is too much to recover from, and Azzi is too delicate to rely on.

After a while, all this sort of talk tends to seem blind to what’s real and what isn’t. The fact is the loss of Watkins is significant. But Dawn’s roster is deep and full of potential. And Dawn is a coach who knows how to develop bigs above all. I have confidence in her. Similarly, UConn lost a lot with Edwards and Muhl. But the depth of the returners and the potential of the newcomers is substantial, and Geno knows how to get the most out of his kids. This is why SC ought to be the presumptive favorite now and also why UConn is a reasonable #2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom