19. Gabbie Marshall, Iowa - G | 5-foot-9 | senior | Previous: NR
20. Lou Lopez Sénéchal, UConn - F | 6-foot-1 | senior | Previous: 18

21. Kamilla Cardoso, South Carolina - C | 6-foot-7 | junior | Previous: 21
22. Sonia Citron, Notre Dame - G | 6-foot-1 | sophomore | Previous: 23
23. Jaylyn Sherrod, Colorado Buffaloes - G | 5-foot-7 | senior | Previous: NR
24. Angel Baker, Ole Miss Rebels - G | 5-foot-8 | senior | Previous: NR
25. Cotie McMahon, Ohio State - F | 6-foot-0 | freshman | Previous: NR

Reaction Score
Have to disagree with ESPN's rankings. The #1 player is Aliyah Boston. It's not about points, but her dominating everything that happens on the court- it's not just her blocks, but her threat of blocks. She disrupts everything that the opposing team wants to do, while opening up huge scoring opportunities for her teammates by being an offensive threat, no matter how many points she scores or doesn't. And the notion that Kamila Cardoso is just the #21 player in the Top 25 is absurd. Cardoso is the second-best post player in the nation. It is the combination of Boston and Cardoso that has made South Carolina into an unbeatable force. Hands down. And the 6'6" Kitley is the reason Virginia Tech is where they are.

This tournament is dominated by the posts and power forwards. Connecticut is where it is overwhelmingly because of Aaliyah Edwards. LSU because of Angel Reese. And though incredibly fun and exciting to watch, without Czinano, Clark and Iowa are nowhere.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Have to disagree with ESPN's rankings. The #1 player is Aliyah Boston. It's not about points, but her dominating everything that happens on the court- it's not just her blocks, but her threat of blocks. She disrupts everything that the opposing team wants to do, while opening up huge scoring opportunities for her teammates by being an offensive threat, no matter how many points she scores or doesn't. And the notion that Kamila Cardoso is just the #21 player in the Top 25 is absurd. Cardoso is the second-best post player in the nation. It is the combination of Boston and Cardoso that has made South Carolina into an unbeatable force. Hands down. And the 6'6" Kitley is the reason Virginia Tech is where they are.

This tournament is dominated by the posts and power forwards. Connecticut is where it is overwhelmingly because of Aaliyah Edwards. LSU because of Angel Reese. And though incredibly fun and exciting to watch, without Czinano, Clark and Iowa are nowhere.
Would they be anywhere without Clark?

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score

I see what you mean; Boston's 13.1 pts per game, 9.7 reb., 2 blocks, and 1.8 asst, would dominate every game. Compare, Edwards, 17 pts per game, 9.9 reb, 1,1 blks, 2.5 asst. or Dorka's 14.2 pts per game, .01 blks, 3 asst.. They are certainly not in a class with Boston. Someone told me that the boneyarders don't get sarcasm. This is sarcasm.

Reaction Score
How is Caitlin now listed as 6’0” now? When she and Paige arrived as freshman, they were both listed as 5’1”. They looked the same height then. Has she grown? TV announcers have also taken to saying she’s 6’1”.

And Alissa Pili joked in a tweet about how she’s listed at 6’2”, saying she’s a solid 5’11”. She might be having some fun with this for all I know.

Reaction Score
I've got to admit Azzi's reputation (and potential) has her 15th on the list. Yes, she had about a six-minute hot streak vs. Baylor which increased UConn's lead, but she's shooting 11 of 32 for the two games, including 4 of 20 from three, without many rebounds or assists... she does play really good D).

And Lou still as high as 20th is, at best, questionable. She hasn't been in double figures in either game. While I hope both players earn a spot high up on the list come tournament's end, this shows just how little ESPN even checks what players are actually doing in the tournament.

Dorka, meanwhile, underrated all season, has scored 26 points, hauled down 17 rebounds and added 9 assists, 3 blocks and even 6 steals in two games. That is worthy. Hopefully she'll keep producing and ESPN and everyone else will notice.

Reaction Score
I see what you mean; Boston's 13.1 pts per game, 9.7 reb., 2 blocks, and 1.8 asst, would dominate every game. Compare, Edwards, 17 pts per game, 9.9 reb, 1,1 blks, 2.5 asst. or Dorka's 14.2 pts per game, .01 blks, 3 asst.. They are certainly not in a class with Boston. Someone told me that the boneyarders don't get sarcasm. This is sarcasm.
Love your sarcasm, very spot on!!

Reaction Score
I think using the word sarcasm is too strong, implying contempt.
What boneyarders sometimes “don’t get” is better described as facetiousness I.e. not to be taken seriously or literally.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It’s not always about points

Reaction Score
Dorka, Nika, Aubrey and Caroline are not on the list. What a back-up crew! A full stat line that helps the team win is too under rated. They should call this list -- the top 25 scorers list. Some good rebounders too -yes. Overall basketball players and team players LIST---put these UConn 4 not on the scorers list---on that more vital list. IMHO.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I think using the word sarcasm is too strong, implying contempt.
What boneyarders sometimes “don’t get” is better described as facetiousness I.e. not to be taken seriously or literally.
No, I was being sarcastic.

Reaction Score
Boston plays half the minutes Edwards does, and if you're being honest, you know Edwards isn't on the same level as Boston as player.
They’ve actually played the same number of minutes so far in the tournament: Aaliyah Edwards (29 + 24) and Aliyah Boston (24 + 29). And on the season Boston averages 25.9 mpg and Edwards 33.1 mpg so not half.

Reaction Score
Dorka, Nika, Aubrey and Caroline are not on the list. What a back-up crew! A full stat line that helps the team win is too under rated. They should call this list -- the top 25 scorers list. Some good rebounders too -yes. Overall basketball players and team players LIST---put these UConn 4 not on the scorers list---on that more vital list. IMHO.
Does it really matter? If they can win the NC with that "backup crew" they'll be on plenty of lists........:)

Reaction Score
Does it really matter? If they can win the NC with that "backup crew" they'll be on plenty of lists........:)
After a storm many small fish are washed up onto the beach. A little boy is walking down the beach, picking up the fish (one of thousands) and throwing them back into the ocean one at a time. An old man hollars at the child, "hey, there are too many, it will not make a difference. It doesn't matter!" The smart little boy holding one little fish says, "It makes a difference to this one." What matters? Nothing--everything? Who decides?

Reaction Score

To add to your points, I think you can be a good team that is even ranked without star true bigs, but to be a real championship contender you have to have them. The teams at the very top generally do, and to cut down the nets you have to go thru them. South Carolina and Stanford are examples of teams that not only have a star C but superstar backups behind them that are even bigger, and multiple other bigs that 90% of teams would start.

One reason it is so important is because of how rare a stud that is 6-4 or more is. Beyond that the very best teams get way more than their share, extending to the backups. Why would a player like Cardosa for example go to South Carolina knowing she would be behind Boston for two years? Other than the obvious odds for a championship, I think it might be because she gets to practice against Boston every day.

She could have put up All American numbers at dozens of quality programs, and breeze thru most of the regular season against far smaller and less talented direct competition, facing only a handful of true tests against another WNBA level true C. You could argue that practicing against Boston develops her game more than dominating inferior competition. Betts at Stanford went there knowing she would be behind Brink for a couple of seasons despite her number 1 high school ranking, perhaps for similar reasons.

As for Uconn, the above points are one reason why I don't prefer the four out and start Aaliyah at C next year scenario. Many want to find a way to add perhaps Aubrey or Caroline to the starting lineup next year at the 4, moving Aaliyah to the 5. Part of that logic is the alternative is using a talented but unproven newcomer at the 5 like Ice or Jana.

While I understand that Caroline and Aubrey may be better overall players than Ice or Jana at least in their first year, there is more to it than that. First Aaliyah is a natural 4 heading into her senior season, and I would like to see her dominate there rather than playing at a position where she is not as good. Caroline is a natural 3 and similarly is less effective at the 4. Now for Aubrey it might be different. She played her first two years more as a big, and this year more as a wing, but as we saw when she had to step up when Aaliyah was sitting, despite her size and slender build, she could be very good at the 4.

The small lineup could be very effective against the vast majority of our opponents, I get that. To pursue the goal that we have every year of a championship, I think you have to look past most of the BE schedule and the first couple of rounds of the NCAA tournament and ask who are the biggest obstacles to getting there? I think the answer is generally those teams that have those very rare star true C types, along with very good 4's and plenty of quality backup bigs.

So I would rather spend the season getting comfortable with two bigs and be more prepared for the teams that are our biggest ultimate challenge. Give Ice or Jana the opportunity to earn a start even with growing pains initially, and let them grow into being pretty ready to go toe to toe, with the star bigs they will need to face later. They don't have to win those later battles, just be competitive and not be dominated. With Aaliyah as good as anybody at her natural 4, we can certainly dominate positions 1-4 against most everybody. Nika, Azzi, and Paige as the starting smalls, backed by Caroline and sometimes Aubrey (used behind Aaliyah some too), plus KK or Ashlynn and Q if needed, but in tough games I could see us just using the starters plus Caroline and Aubrey for the 120 minutes at 1-3.

We may want to use KK, but we don't have to because when Caroline or Aubrey comes in for Nika, Paige can slide over to the point.

I am not saying never use small ball. There will be times to use it, but I think the default mode should be two bigs. I am also not saying go with Ice or Jana if they are not producing at a pretty high level. If neither is ready to at least be an above average 5 from the get go, then I would go small ball too, but I really expect both to be above average from the start but not as good as they will be later in their careers. A great proven experienced 5 from the portal is still a dream, but I'm starting to think there may not be anyone in the portal this year that meets those standards.

Reaction Score
It’s not always about points

Exactly!!! It's not always the point total, but what else is being done. Boston intimidates inside. So many times, opposing players won't even attempt a shot in close, because Boston is lurking there. And on offense, she doesn't necessarily have to score, but the triple-teaming leaves open every other player on her team. It's the threat she poses. And add in Cardoso at 6'7" with great talent, and it's no surprise that they're undefeated.

Yes, Iowa wouldn't be where they are without Clark. But an Iowa without Czinano would not be where they are, even with Clark.

Reaction Score
Honestly, who cares? The best players left in the tournament are the ones who play best from here on in. Every team left has good players who can be key performers from here forward.
NCAA tournaments, World Series, Super Bowls, etc. are strewn with out of the blue, unexpected difference makers.

Reaction Score
Aubrey was fantastic. At the end of the game, team with most points wins.

Correct, but having an impact on the game doesn't mean you need to score 20 points. Aubrey had an impact without the points. The Baylor Coach thinks she turned the game around!

Reaction Score

I would say the best player in the country is Clark. She can do at the point what a post player does down low but she also grabs about 10 boards a game especially if the game is important. Hard to argue Reese being in there too averaging over 20 points and 15 boards. I love Boston and her size is a difference maker but if she wasn't that big she would be an average player and Cardoso to me as the benefactor of having Boston on the team. Next year she will just blend into the background.

Reaction Score
If I was starting a team I would take Edwards, then Boston, then Reese and then Clark. Not that Clark isn't the best player of the bunch but the others can defend inside and control the boards. All of the players at the top of this list are outstanding but some on the list are only great because they have someone else on the list taking focus away from them. I do think you could take the top 5 players from this list and compete with some of the pro teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom