ESPN's POY and FF picks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN's POY and FF picks

Reaction Score
It might be hard to vote against Siegrist if she has a couple more games like her last two (double-doubles with 50 and 39 points, no fouls and 1 turnover).
As long as she doesn't have one of those games on Saturday.

Reaction Score
It isn't even clear just from looking at the stats that Boston is even the best player on South Carolina right now. Cardoso is playing about 2/3 as many minutes, but is ahead of Boston on a per-40 basis in scoring, rebounding, and blocked shots. (Yes, I realize that stats don't show everything. But Boston isn't playing the minutes or putting up the numbers that a POY should be. Has any POY failed to finish in the top 250 in scoring?).

For me it's Siegrist and Clarke battling it out for the major awards. It may come down to which team goes farther in the NCAA tournament.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yep, Maddy had 39 and 10 tonight on 15-26 shooting. She also plays heavy minutes, but doesn't seem to suffer from fatigue.

Caitlin had 24, 6, and 8 on only 12 shots in an easy win tonight.
89 points for Siegrist in the last 2 games on 35-52 shooting. Pretty incredible.

Clark with a quiet night by her standards but would be a career night for almost anyone else (on 75% shooting no less). She's also now in 1st place nationally in assists per game and just behind Siegrist for points.

In the history of women's college basketball, only 4 players have surpassed 1000 points in a single season and there's a very real possibility that both Clark/Siegrist hit that milestone.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It isn't even clear just from looking at the stats that Boston is even the best player on South Carolina right now. Cardoso is playing about 2/3 as many minutes, but is ahead of Boston on a per-40 basis in scoring, rebounding, and blocked shots. (Yes, I realize that stats don't show everything. But Boston isn't playing the minutes or putting up the numbers that a POY should be. Has any POY failed to finish in the top 250 in scoring?).

For me it's Siegrist and Clarke battling it out for the major awards. It may come down to which team goes farther in the NCAA tournament.
I don't believe Rizzotti or Bird were top 250 scorers when they won POY awards (granted that was 20+ years ago, but worth noting). I agree though, I don't think the stats are there for Boston, though she's been outstanding in the marquee games is the same dominant force even if SC has a more varied offensive attack this year.

Reaction Score
Boston is the most dominant player in college basketball. She can score, defend, rebound and pass which is unusual for a person of her physical stature. Clark is also incredible but most of what she brings is on the offensive side of the ball. With that said if you base it on the stats alone I think she will win going away.

I do think SC would be a top 10 without Boston but not nearly as scary as they are now. If Clark is out for Iowa I'm not sure the are even top 15 team. If either of them win I think most people would understand how they won, anyone else I'm not sure the same would be said. They are all great players and really fun to watch.

Reaction Score
It will be very interesting revisiting this discussion next year when we hopefully have a healthy Paige and co.

I'm guessing a lot of people downplaying Boston's scoring and ignoring her rebounding, blocks, limited minutes etc. won't be so harsh on Paige.

Reaction Score
Boston is the best women's college basketball player on the planet. If all the candidates for Player of the Year were to enter the WNBA draft, Boston would still go #1. Dawn wouldn't trade her for anyone. Dominant offensively and dominant defensively, none of the others are!
Really. Lol hahaha. I don't have the same opinion. If the the calls was done right they would have never beat uconn. Check out the video, it don't liie, how she pushed AE abd Dorka to the floor to get rebounds. No calls. The hand off from out of bounds. Sorry but I can't find it to give them any credit. You may disagree. That's ok with me. We all can have our opinions. And like I said video don't lie. Go Huskies. And have a great day.

Reaction Score
Geez, I hadn't heard that Caitlin Clark, Maddy Siegrist and others more deserving had all left college basketball...;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Boston is the most dominant player in college basketball. She can score, defend, rebound and pass which is unusual for a person of her physical stature. Clark is also incredible but most of what she brings is on the offensive side of the ball. With that said if you base it on the stats alone I think she will win going away.

I do think SC would be a top 10 without Boston but not nearly as scary as they are now. If Clark is out for Iowa I'm not sure the are even top 15 team. If either of them win I think most people would understand how they won, anyone else I'm not sure the same would be said. They are all great players and really fun to watch.

S.C., without Boston, would play Cardoso more and rely on their bench. They would be top 5-8 most likely. Iowa, without Clark, is maybe #40. They have 2-3 other really solid players, but Caitlin is essential for their success.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
This happens in all sports leagues: are you voting for the best player, or the player who has had the best year?

Even if Boston is the best player (and she probably is overall); she is not having the "best" year. Yes, it's because her team is so deep, and dominant, and she's not being asked to do as much, but that is still a part of her season.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
This happens in all sports leagues: are you voting for the best player, or the player who has had the best year?

Even if Boston is the best player (and she probably is overall); she is not having the "best" year. Yes, it's because her team is so deep, and dominant, and she's not being asked to do as much, but that is still a part of her season.
Yep - the old MVP vs MOP debate.

Reaction Score
I think Uconn is safely in the final 4. I saw that Utah was a 2 seed in their region. Gonna have to see it to believe that's gonna happen.
Have you seen the play of Utah's Alissa Pili? She is from Alaska by way of first playing
at USC. Alissa Pili is on the POWER FORWARD list with Aaliyah Edwards at HOOPHALLAWARDS
, vote women. VOTE EARLY ... VOTE OFTEN. Aaliyah's competition includes: Cameron Brink of Stanford,
Aneesah Morrow ( DePaul) and ...... Maddy Siegrist ( who is that??). (among others) Let's vote and
get Aaliyah on to the final five list!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom