ESPN's latest WNBA Mock Draft has Evina going #12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN's latest WNBA Mock Draft has Evina going #12

Reaction Score
dragon the downer.
E is the glue to the team. Love her.
Please go get your glasses checked as I suspect your vision is blurry.
Please be more positive.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Suspect what going on here is a well placed leak from a WNBA GM to Mechelle that Evina intends to go pro. Evina was not included in Mechelle mock draft of December 2020. Similar thing happened with Jackie Young of ND a few years back which caught Muffet way off guard.

Reaction Score
I would like Evina to stay another year for selfish reasons. She is a very big asset to this team and the coaching staff. I am not privy to Evina's health status and rightfully so. But, if she really suffers from her leg injuries, she would be better served staying out of the WNBA. But, what do I know? I do not know what is in her heart and that factor will play a major part of her decision choices whatever they may be.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, this raises a general question. If a player opts for the draft, then either isn't drafted, or doesn't make a team, should they be allowed to return to college ball? Personally, I can't think of a reason why not. ( Other than, of course, a necessary rule change.)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As usual, my views are to the contrary of the majority..
I think its likely that E will stay.

Clearly, the diminishment of her offensive accomplishment, this month, has to do with
physical discomfort...and will effect her value in the W.

A summer of (free) physical therapy, might be just what the doctor ordered to
get her into the best possible shape resulting in a much greater value in the draft;
and more importantly, the likelihood of her actual sticking on a roster.
And she can have an additional season to showcase her offensive prowess.

Reaction Score

Westbrook spent her first two years at Tennessee, then had to sit out a year during her transfer and is in her first season playing for UConn. At 6-0, she has good size for a point guard and is averaging 9.5 points, 5.4 rebounds and 4.7 assists. Freshman Paige Bueckers is dominating the UConn storyline, but Westbrook has been a good addition for the Huskies. The Aces might see her as adding depth to their guard corps, if Westbrook opts to leave early
I think she needs to think like Morgan Tuck did, this body has only so many years left in it for basketball so I need to go to the wnba now while I still can.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So, this raises a general question. If a player opts for the draft, then either isn't drafted, or doesn't make a team, should they be allowed to return to college ball? Personally, I can't think of a reason why not. ( Other than, of course, a necessary rule change.)
Once a player declares for the WNBA the player renounces ALL remaining NCAA eligibility regardless if they are drafted or not drafted or make a team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But my question is, why?
That's the current rule which like all rules are subject to change. I've been arguing for a baseball model for WNBA and NBA for years. Essentially draft the player coming out of HS. If the player decides to turn pro then they go pro. If they decide to go to college then the team retains the drafts right to that player but it doesn't preclude them playing in NCAA.

Reaction Score
I think Evina will go pro but stranger things have happened. She has proven she can play well on a top ranked team and be a leader. I never doubted her skill when she was at UT but knew something was off, and yes I believe it was a combination of several factors. Her knees may never allow her to play at a high level but she could be a solid sub in the league.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think if Evina is honored in March 1 as a senior, then she’s headed to the draft and not into a graduate program (like Morgan Tuck).

If Evina isn’t honored, then I think we’ll see her next year (like Batouly was honored last year instead of the year before when she was technically a senior).

Geno & Company will want to honor her and what she’s brought to the program, and I’d be willing to bet that they already know her plans.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Westbrook spent her first two years at Tennessee, then had to sit out a year during her transfer and is in her first season playing for UConn. At 6-0, she has good size for a point guard and is averaging 9.5 points, 5.4 rebounds and 4.7 assists. Freshman Paige Bueckers is dominating the UConn storyline, but Westbrook has been a good addition for the Huskies. The Aces might see her as adding depth to their guard corps, if Westbrook opts to leave early
Right now the Aces are kind of in limbo when it comes to ownership and it's future. Mark Davis of the Raiders has agreed to buy them from the MGM and has stated publicly that he wants to take them to the top and give them a better place to play. I really don't see them choosing another guard this year, I see them getting a center that will help them since it looks like Cambridge is going to retire, at least that is what was last published. I also don't see Bill staying as the GM if Davis takes over and if that happens I don't see him staying on as the coach after this year. Davis has the money that the MGM doesn't have and he will try to build a team in line with what Seattle has done over the past few years, so they may look at trading their pick to get someone that will give the team a respectable center to help them if one is not available through the draft.

Reaction Score
Westbrook has no chance of getting drafted or making a WNBA roster. Same thing for Liv next year.
I'd say you are 0-2.............if Westbrook is healthy she's obviously going to be drafted and when you're an athletic 6'5" forward/center who can score, pass, block shots and rebound you get drafted...........how long either stays in the pros is up to them...........

Reaction Score
As with Morgan, obviously wear-and-tear matters. And, as Al McGuire so eloquently said, I haven’t looked in her refrigerator.

But, as I felt with Azure, Evina seems to me to need polishing. Maybe because of her injury, she has a high dribble and not a great handle. Her sssist/turnover is under 2. And, while her defense has improved this season, she isn’t a shutdown defender.

I say all this not to disparage what she has brought to this team. Evina has been a welcome addition. But, as with Jordan Horstan this year, she doesn’t fit now nor when she was at UT what I would expect of a #2 ranked recruit.

Reaction Score
As a part time Vegas resident and full time Ace's fan, the tail end of the Vegas roster might not be that hard to make. Like many WNBA teams the Aces have tried to spend their cap space on the top 8 players or so, filling the remaining spots with vet minimums or rookie contracts.

They used the little cap space they had to get a bargain with Riquana, but only for one year. They will not have space to sign her next year, so she is a one year rental. The lower salary of a rookie even against the vet minimum makes a difference. Teams don't want to pay a 12th player, using it to upgrade more relevant players, and they don't want to spend anything beyond what they have to on number 10 and 11.

Oh it appears these people really know what they are doing, since they still have the 14 pick still going to Indiana. The pick they traded for Allen to the Aces.

If their pick is to replace Riquana Williams then the need a shooting guard, which Evina is not. They don't really need another point. Besides the cap space they have gained by trading Allen to Indiana could still be used to sign Sims who is still a free agent without a team. Although there might be some reason why Indiana cut her after trading for her.

Reaction Score
Westbrook has no chance of getting drafted or making a WNBA roster. Same thing for Liv next year.
Wow why so bleak, she can rebound, and play great d, she could definitely make a WNBA roster. Plus playing at UCONN she has really come around in just a few months.

Reaction Score
As with Morgan, obviously wear-and-tear matters. And, as Al McGuire so eloquently said, I haven’t looked in her refrigerator.

But, as I felt with Azure, Evina seems to me to need polishing. Maybe because of her injury, she has a high dribble and not a great handle. Her sssist/turnover is under 2. And, while her defense has improved this season, she isn’t a shutdown defender.

I say all this not to disparage what she has brought to this team. Evina has been a welcome addition. But, as with Jordan Horstan this year, she doesn’t fit now nor when she was at UT what I would expect of a #2 ranked recruit.
I think you were right in your first paragraph. Sure she could use some polishing but the body is what it is. I think she needs to take her shot while she can and get that life experience.

Azure was completely different. Her health was perfect, she should have stayed another year, really learened how to play in the post, and probably a national championship.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I just like to appreciate and enjoy the players we have. I don't want to think about when they will leave.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
"The answer to all your questions is money."
--Don Ohlmeyer

Reaction Score
Evina has been guarding the opposing 4 during games. At times she goes for rebounds, you can see at times her knees are giving her issues. I don’t think she will return next year, given the issues with her knees. Until then, I hope she can help this team raise a banner at the end of the year....Hopefully it won’t be a end of the year banner for being the unanimous #1 team in the country

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Another year could give her knees time to heal.
I thought the same thing about Morgan Tuck. Especially when she said she was coming back for her "redshirt" senior year, then recanted. If she was told her knees were not going to get any better, then I could see why she left early. The meter was running. If she had only a few miles left in those knees, no doubt she wanted to spend whatever time she had left as a professional. She chose to leave with her two other classmates Jefferson and Stewart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom