ESPN's latest WNBA Mock Draft has Evina going #12 | The Boneyard

ESPN's latest WNBA Mock Draft has Evina going #12

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Westbrook spent her first two years at Tennessee, then had to sit out a year during her transfer and is in her first season playing for UConn. At 6-0, she has good size for a point guard and is averaging 9.5 points, 5.4 rebounds and 4.7 assists. Freshman Paige Bueckers is dominating the UConn storyline, but Westbrook has been a good addition for the Huskies. The Aces might see her as adding depth to their guard corps, if Westbrook opts to leave early

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the more interesting elements of this year’s draft will be who exactly will make themselves eligible for the draft. In addition to age eligible jrs, essentially every other college player can opt for another year of college ball. Pro teams are really going to need to be prepared, because they likely won’t know what the draft pool will look like until just after the NCAA championship.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If Evina is projected to go late in the first round (that means she'll go to a good team as the best teams usually draft last in each round), I think she’s gone. There’s no reason for her to return next season. She has achieved all of her goals in coming to UConn. She got out of Tennessee, she had her knees medically repaired, she wanted to play with her BFF Megan Walker, but Megan left early for the WNBA (can you imagine Walker on THIS team?). She did get to spend a year on campus with her though.

She's completed her course work for her bachelor's degree, and I presume has begun work on her master's degree. She has done everything asked and expected of her. What's left? She no doubt wants to play professionally. It appears that opportunity will be afforded to her.

Geno is looking at a full roster of 15 players next year. Evina's leadership would definitely be missed, but her departure would open up a vacancy and minutes in the starting unit for someone. That someone may be Azzi Fudd. She'll be looking for minutes and an opportunity to crack the starting line up. I think it's fair to say that Geno will be looking to get her on the floor ASAP. Fudd can step right in and take Westbook's open position and minutes, and compliment Paige like none other. That looks like a win-win scenario to me. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unless there’s evidence that her body needs more time to rehab and that she’d be significantly better next year (thereby raising her draft profile), I think she’s gone.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Unless Westbrook's injury is healed completely, I can't see it holding up under the rigors of the WNBA next season. Also, I thought she chose UConn so she could have a better chance to win a NC. I just wonder if a team will take a chance on drafting her high if they are not sure she has completely healed. Whatever decision she makes I hope it works out for her.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I love what Evina brings to our team but this seems a bit high considering her stats and potential health issues (both Geno and E have stated that there are good days and bad days with those knees). One large factor in her favor is that she starts for #1 UConn. GMs look at Tiff Hayes and Crystal Dangerfield and don't want to miss out on a magic late 1st or 2nd round pick.

The Aces woulds be a particularly tough place to make a roster - Jackie Young, Chelsea Gray, Kelsey Plum, Riquna Williams, Angel McCoughtry. I don't see that as a viable place for Evina.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I've also been really impressed with Gondrezick at WVU. And while maybe not a first round pick, I feel like there must be a spot in the league for DiDi Richards. If you're going to be really good at just one thing, being a lock down defender for a pro spot would be what i'd pick.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
From a pro prospect perspective, I think Westbrook's best move is to go pro after this year. The 2021 draft class is weaker than 2022's, so she's less likely to be a first round pick next season. I don't see a return to UCONN elevating her draft stock, since her playing time will indefinitely go down with the addition of Fudd/Ducharme/Poffenbarger, not to mention if McLean improves and Makurat comes back 100% healthy. Obviously if she wants to stick around for a great shot to win a title, it makes sense that she'll come back.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I've also been really impressed with Gondrezick at WVU. And while maybe not a first round pick, I feel like there must be a spot in the league for DiDi Richards. If you're going to be really good at just one thing, being a lock down defender for a pro spot would be what i'd pick.
Lockdown defender and a very good decision maker. #4 in the nation in assists, and #8 in A/TO ratio. Lack of a jumpshot/scoring prowess will hurt Richards though. You have to be able to score to make it in the pros.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Unless Westbrook's injury is healed completely, I can't see it holding up under the rigors of the WNBA next season. Also, I thought she chose UConn so she could have a better chance to win a NC. I just wonder if a team will take a chance on drafting her high if they are not sure she has completely healed. Whatever decision she makes I hope it works out for her.
I agree completely with your concerns. No doubt Evina will have to be cleared by the medical staff of whatever
teams that are seriously interested in drafting her. WNBA teams (Gm's/coaches) don't like surprises. Her knees have been a concern all year. If she is taken by a team, she will be expected to be available, and play at a high level.

The question is can her knees endure a 5 month WNBA season on the heels of a truncated 4 month NCAA season? :eek: Aye matey, there's the rub.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Westbrook has no chance of getting drafted or making a WNBA roster. Same thing for Liv next year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I can't imagine Dungee would fall that low--I think she's one of the strongest prospects in the draft.
Agreed. Because there is no questions about HER knees, I would not be surprised if she went before Westbrook. She has proven she can put the ball in the basket. She's 5'11, not a bad size for a guard. Dana Evans (Louisville) is 5'6'. I'd take her over Dungee every day of the week.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I expect to see DiDi Richards make a WNBA roster this year or next for the reasons you stated. Her strong suite is playing defense. Every team needs a stopper. Look at the success UConn had when we had Kia Nurse and Gabby Williams. Two stoppers personified!! Nurse could stay in front of most players she was assigned to. Of course I could be wrong. Better players than her have either got drafted or went to camp via the free agent route and failed to make the cut. Player can get cut, and get recalled by a team after the season starts because of injury, or a player didn't work out as planned. She can always go overseas and build up her appeal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm curious if there are plans to honor Evina next Monday versus Marquette for senior night. That doesn't necessarily mean she has officially decided if they do but they could choose to do so just in case she does decide to leave.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Westbrook has no chance of getting drafted or making a WNBA roster. Same thing for Liv next year.
Voepel's article disagrees with your take. It is assumed that she (or someone at ESPN) did some research, and perhaps contacted some WNBA teams about their take/plans on the upcoming draft and who they like. She is a long time analyst for ESPN, and has established relationships with various coaches and media relations personnel. I would think that before she writes a piece (any piece) of this nature, she has done her homework and garnered some information from reliable team sources to form the basis and credibility of that piece.

Getting drafted is one thing, making the cut is another. 12 selections in 3 rounds. Per the article, Westbrook is projected to be drafted number 12. That's the last pick in the first round which belongs to the Las Vegas Aces. Whether she sticks or not is questionable. I think the biggest factor here is does she address a particular team's needs, and will her knees hold up. First round WNBA picks usually make the cut.

Can she play the full 34 game season? Different teams have different needs. All she needs is for ONE team (coach) to see value in her. Same with Liv. There may be a coach that sees potential in Liv, and wants to work with her (given her height and background) and develop her over time, and then, maybe not. Your take has been noted. We'll see how accurate it is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree completely with your concerns. No doubt Evina will have to be cleared by the medically by whatever team is seriously interested in drafting her. WNBA teams (Gm's/coaches) don't like surprises. Her knees have been a concern all year. If she is taken by a team, she will be expected to be available, and play at a high level.

The question is can her knees endure a 5 month WNBA season on the heels of a truncated 4 month NCAA season? :eek: Aye matey, there's the rub.
Another challenge for WNBA players is the need to play overseas to make a good living. Year round play on questionable knees would be tough but hope whatever choice she makes works out.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Lockdown defender and a very good decision maker. #4 in the nation in assists, and #8 in A/TO ratio. Lack of a jumpshot/scoring prowess will hurt Richards though. You have to be able to score to make it in the pros.
Agree, I think she's a spot backup in the WNBA right now, but still think there's a team that could use her skill set for 10-15min a game. If I was a WNBA coach, I'd pick her now, use her to shut down opposing PGs as needed (hopefully on a team where she is surrounded by other scorers), and then lock her in a gym in the offseason and have her shooting 3-pointers.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm curious if there are plans to honor Evina next Monday versus Marquette for senior night. That doesn't necessarily mean she has officially decided if they do but they could choose to do so just in case she does decide to leave.
Only if she informs Geno she's NOT coming back, and has informed Geno of her plan to go pro. They did not honor or recognize Megan Walker when she left early. I'm not sure when Walker made the decision to leave. It may have been after senior night. She didn't graduate. That may (or may not) be a requirement/factor for recognition by the program on senior night. I understand that Geno and CD take graduating very seriously.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love what Evina brings to our team but this seems a bit high considering her stats and potential health issues (both Geno and E have stated that there are good days and bad days with those knees). One large factor in her favor is that she starts for #1 UConn. GMs look at Tiff Hayes and Crystal Dangerfield and don't want to miss out on a magic late 1st or 2nd round pick.

The Aces woulds be a particularly tough place to make a roster - Jackie Young, Chelsea Gray, Kelsey Plum, Riquna Williams, Angel McCoughtry. I don't see that as a viable place for Evina.
As a part time Vegas resident and full time Ace's fan, the tail end of the Vegas roster might not be that hard to make. Like many WNBA teams the Aces have tried to spend their cap space on the top 8 players or so, filling the remaining spots with vet minimums or rookie contracts.

They used the little cap space they had to get a bargain with Riquana, but only for one year. They will not have space to sign her next year, so she is a one year rental. The lower salary of a rookie even against the vet minimum makes a difference. Teams don't want to pay a 12th player, using it to upgrade more relevant players, and they don't want to spend anything beyond what they have to on number 10 and 11.

Later picks are a gamble, but if you hit with an overachiever there, and have that cheap contract for several years, that pick is a real bonus. Vegas will probably fill 10 and 11 with one big and one guard. A combo guard/swiss army knife, who could even play SF in a pinch could be a good fit for the end of many rosters.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I agree completely with your concerns. No doubt Evina will have to be cleared by the medically by whatever team is seriously interested in drafting her. WNBA teams (Gm's/coaches) don't like surprises. Her knees have been a concern all year. If she is taken by a team, she will be expected to be available, and play at a high level.

It seems unlikely that another year at UCONN will make her knees any better than they are at this point. If she wants to play pro it appears her window of opportunity re: playing time, length of career, earning capacity could be very narrow. It could be that she doesn't yet know what she wants next year to bring, whatever her decision is, I'm in her court.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Another year could give her knees time to heal.

Reaction Score
The issue of a player's health cuts both ways. Susceptibility to injury or lingering injury can make a player not worth drafting. But for the player with lingering physical issues, leaving college asap can be what determines her early departure. It's the reason Morgan Tuck left with one year of eligibility. She was facing the prospect of deteriorating health and a foreshortened pro career unless she opted to leave. But Tuck was a star when she departed, and Evina, bless her soul, has not risen to that level.
Then there's the case of the player who wants to accomplish something (NC?) not achieved in college and chooses to hang around for a year longer than necessary. The Divine Sabrina was a case in point. Personally, I thought it was foolish of Ionescu to remain at Oregon and risk injury. Better to go pro and start getting paid for playing. She ignored my advice, and fate intervened at the end: no NC.
If UConn doesn't win the NC this year, it's more likely Westbrook will hang around. But I don't believe that she will start next year; anyone who doubts that the guard tandem will be Slim and Fudd into the future hasn't seen much of Azzi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom