ESPN3 has no plans to stream SNY broadcasted Games this year! | The Boneyard

ESPN3 has no plans to stream SNY broadcasted Games this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I received a very disturbing response from ESPN customer service today after a week of phone calls and IT escalations.
ESPN3 has no plans to stream the UCONN games that are broadcast via SNY as it did last year.
At first I though it was a cruel joke or someone just fell asleep at the wheel-still hoping that is the case.
Regardless I cannot live like this! Please contact ESPN at this number or URL and see if you can change some minds.
(Do not post phone numbers)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=espncscontact
Reference Ticket Number: CTOI-5457

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I find that beyond hard to believe. They broadcast other women's sports like soccer and volleyball. Unless there are contractual issues I can't see them not streaming UConn BB.

Reaction Score
I received a very disturbing response from ESPN customer service today after a week of phone calls and IT escalations.
ESPN3 has no plans to stream the UCONN games that are broadcast via SNY as it did last year.
At first I though it was a cruel joke or someone just fell asleep at the wheel-still hoping that is the case.
Regardless I cannot live like this! Please contact ESPN at this number or URL and see if you can change some minds.
1 (888) 549-3776
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=espncscontact
Reference Ticket Number: CTOI-5457

Will they still show the replays?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I find that beyond hard to believe. They broadcast other women's sports like soccer and volleyball. Unless there are contractual issues I can't see them not streaming UConn BB.
I also contacted SNY tv to see if a new agreement is being worked. No response from them as of yet.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

ESPN3 also streams SNY broadcasts of UConn football and UConn men's basketball. I checked ahead to the ESPN3 schedule and indeed the SNY broadcasts of UConn Men's basketball games in early November are not scheduled. This is strange and I wonder what's going on.

I'd be okay purchasing SNY's streaming service but I don't think that'll be offered. This doesn't sound right.

Reaction Score
No replays unless the game was originally broadcast on ESPN or ESPN2.

That would be a bummer. I have SNY but always liked to re-watch the games on espn3 to focus on individual players, great plays, etc. Guess I'll have to get a dvr.

Reaction Score
My suspicion is that SNY and ESPN are "negotiating". Frankly I would prefer if SNY offered their own streaming option. I'd like to dump cable but that would mean not being able to watch UConn live since I live in CT where ESPN3 games are blacked out.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I thought ESPN had the rights to AAC Games. I would think UConn would be the primary team that ESPN would want to broadcast.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Some of the games on UConn's website are listed as being on ESPN3 as well as SNY (Nebraska/Chatt/Colgate, etc) but only certain ones. I'm wondering if the whole broadcast schedule hasn't been finalized yet. Either way, not sure why they would only broadcast some games and not others.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/conn-w-baskbl-sched.html
I crossed checked that also. Maddening! First SNY game is Kansas State-no ESPN3 steaming indicated on UCONN website & Not Schedule on Watch ESPN.
Second SNY game is Nebraska ESPN3 streaming indicated on UCONN website & not scheduled on Watch ESPN.
Bottom Line: No SNY broadcasted games are scheduled on ESPN3. I check the entire list.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So I'm an old fogey without the savy or equipment to do this, but I know that is not the case with a slew of you guys: DVR to YouTube within what?? 2 hours? Me I get SNY, but for fans all over who cannot spend the money to catch UConn games? This can be done, easy. Who steps up?

Reaction Score
So I'm an old fogey without the savy or equipment to do this, but I know that is not the case with a slew of you guys: DVR to YouTube within what?? 2 hours? Me I get SNY, but for fans all over who cannot spend the money to catch UConn games? This can be done, easy. Who steps up?
I have Comcast/XFinity and it's sports package just so I can see all the UCONN games. I will try to upload to YouTube but I am not sure how to make the link?

Reaction Score
I can copy on DVD and upload but the quality won't be great. If there is a better way to go from DVR to upload let me know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have Comcast/XFinity and it's sports package just so I can see all the UCONN games. I will try to upload to YouTube but I am not sure how to make the link?

Let's take some of these conversations into private messages just in case the Feds of someone for Vandy is monitoring.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Let's take some of these conversations into private messages just in case the Feds of someone for Vandy is monitoring.

You don't seriously believe that there is no a program monitoring your blood pressure right now no matter what you do, ... do you?

Here, I'll take the heat off you. I know all about the NSA's secret UConn Husky Fan monitoring program. That's why I have loaded up with guns and ammo and disgusting packages of dried food!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is wild, and I suspect that it is some sort of oversight in the programming department at ESPN. The ESPN3 broadcasts cost them absolutely nothing since SNY is paying for the whole production, and ESPN owns the rights to all AAC sports, so SNY couldn't block them from claiming the broadcasts.
Since ESPN isn't producing the programs, it may be that the ESPN3 schedule hasn't been updated with outside produced content - I often find the ESPN3 future content to be incomplete with programs I know will eventually appear there.

Reaction Score
That is wild, and I suspect that it is some sort of oversight in the programming department at ESPN. The ESPN3 broadcasts cost them absolutely nothing since SNY is paying for the whole production, and ESPN owns the rights to all AAC sports, so SNY couldn't block them from claiming the broadcasts.
Since ESPN isn't producing the programs, it may be that the ESPN3 schedule hasn't been updated with outside produced content - I often find the ESPN3 future content to be incomplete with programs I know will eventually appear there.
Remember the debacle over Stef and Bria's Senior Night a couple of years ago where we weren't allowed to see it on TV because CBS owned the rights? All these TV rules make my head spin and they seem to change with every game, but I guess we don't have any rights to "their" content.

Reaction Score
Last year ESPN didn't show any of the UCONN games in their upcoming schedule till around the start of the season and I'd be very surprised if any customer service people know what is actually going to happen. But one would think that if for some inexplicable reason ESPN decided not to stream the games when right now you can go and pick among dozens of collegiate women's volleyball games, that SNY would go back to offering the games streamed for a fee. Hope so anyway, cause otherwise it's going to be a long winter.

Reaction Score
I just called and spoke with "Andy". He said he doesn't know because they haven't released the schedule yet. He doesn't expect the schedule to come out untlil just before the season opens.
Pray hard!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Last year ESPN didn't show any of the UCONN games in their upcoming schedule till around the start of the season and I'd be very surprised if any customer service people know what is actually going to happen. But one would think that if for some inexplicable reason ESPN decided not to stream the games when right now you can go and pick among dozens of collegiate women's volleyball games, that SNY would go back to offering the games streamed for a fee. Hope so anyway, cause otherwise it's going to be a long winter.

UC, your point about SNY Tv content being external was a good one so I ran than angle down also. The SEC network and Longhorn network also provide external content to ESPN3. Right now I can tell you when Texas, Kentucky WCBB games are going to be streamed via ESPN3 but not UCONN SNY tv games. I feel like I am being tortured.

Jeff, you may be underestimating how pathologically (committed) I have been to getting an answer. I did not just stop at customer service. I have been in contact with a few executives at ESPN such as Laura Gentile- Vice President and Founder, espnW and Craig Lazarus, Vice President, Production at ESPN who is from Hartford and a Dukie.
I'm also sure you are incorrect about this time last year and the games being posted later in the season. By end of september of 2014 I was sleeping well because I had A UCONN schedule and knew exactly which games were going to be streamed on ESPN3. The agreement between SNY tv and ESPN was put in place almost 1 year prior Nov 7, 2013 as a result of UCONN being in a new conference. This time last year the only thing I was sweating were 2 or 3 UCONN games that CBS had the broadcast rights to. I ended up having to add CBS sports to my cable because one of the CBS games was the game on Senior Night-I was not going to miss that.

I also wrote to John Altavilla and got this more encouraging response:
Although I do not know this for certain, I have been given no indication that the schedule games on SNY, usually streamed on ESPN3, will be any different.
When I hear for certain I will try to touch base. But I may forget, so remind me.

My backup plan is to go get Sling box and connect it to my daughters cable- she lives in NJ and gets SNYtv as part of her cable package.

I am not going though a season missing 17 UCONN games live-it is 2015 for goodness sakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom