ESPN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Herbst instituted the mandatory intersession courses for players, which helps with APR compliance. It also keeps players eligible, but does little toward helping them graduate--which is good for the NCAA's purposes because the GSR and the APR do not emphasize graduation or proceeding toward a degree. if you're taking intersession courses like the one UConn players took last year post-Xmas (i.e. visiting NYC art galleries over a period of one week), you'll quickly eat up your electives, fail to fulfill requirements, and you'll have a hard time advancing. But that doesn't matter when it comes to NCAA compliance.

This tells me she is very serious about D1 sports. Neither the previous President or AD or faculty advisors had ever instituted anything like that.

If she wanted to, she simply might've foregone all these mandatory intersession courses, and used the bad PR from UConn's APR mess, to mandate higher admission standards for student athletes. That would have nipped the APR problem in the bud while at the same time deemphasizing sports at UConn.

But she didn't do that, did she?
Exactly. I don't know how many times you have stated this and why so many people don't understand what you are say and implying. This was the clearest presentation. I will go one step further. Conjecture on my part. JH did everything he could to not change the conditions for athletes to be consistent with most if not all major programs for the sole purpose of sticking it to RE and JC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
do u think the acc and espn want it out there that uconn rejected them? that would look so bad if it happened. ssssoooooo bad. it doesn't matter if uconn goes to the b10 or dies in the nbe either way it looks horrible that the acc/espn got rejected in order for a school to try for something else vs gaining a ok landing spot.

the acc bascially did make the invite public. they named uconn a lock and so on almost minutes after md and rut to the b10. then within a hour or so the uconn pumping stopped. we head lville made a call, cincy is sending power points lmfao and now ttemple and usf blah blah this and that. if u this that was all just by random then your the nut not me. just remember whaler, i'm 10 steps ahead of u!

Yeah Dan, you are 10 steps ahead. I don't know if it's funny or sad at this point - you actually believe you are ahead of the curve and you believe this nonsense you have invented.

They wouldn't be rejected with one simple move. I know this doesn't fit in your wild conspiracy theories but come on - they rejected the ACC twice? They would all be looking for jobs the next morning.

Reaction Score
Ok lets see that evidence?
I don't know all the names (and I'm too lazy to go and look them up) but the fact she's hired someone in PR,Communications, an additional Associate AD, retained Pendergast (sp?) for fundraising, and has been visible at home and many (not all) away FB and BB games is an indicator she supports a big time athletic department.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
the sec, b10, b12 and pac all still have to expand. its not close to over. patience will win in the end vs jumping the gun.

Whether Herbst/Warde have a master plan or are just f#%cking clueless, who knows?

Whether HFDan is brilliant or just some bullshstting drunk fortune teller, who knows?

But this, this is UNDENIABLE:

"the sec, b10, b12 and pac all still have to expand. its not close to over"

How so many of you dont see this, have given up hope and resigned Connecticut to cusa/Mac status is startling.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Exactly! See the post I was responding too. RMoore1999 contends the article in the op is just blah blah with out tie in to $$ side of ESPN. The op article is just to create controversy to increase views. I agree that media does this. So why not the MCW story? Not to you but to RMoore.

Not saying they don't exercise any editorial control, I just find it hard to beleive they have Monday morning staff meetings where they distribute realignment bullet points requiring that Connecticut be sabotaged to everyone from D Vitale to McMurphy to some no-name blogger....

Reaction Score
How so many of you dont see this, have given up hope and resigned Connecticut to cusa/Mac status is startling.
I'm actually not surprised. Human behavior usually tends to go against logic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I said I refuse to believe...I didn't state it was fact. But if anyone believes that she doesn't think sports is a B1G part of UConn, well there is not much more to say.

I didn't say you were wrong - I think there in some evidence in both directions.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whether Herbst/Warde have a master plan or are just f#%cking clueless, who knows?

Whether HFDan is brilliant or just some bullshstting drunk fortune teller, who knows?

Nobody has to expand. It's probably not over but nobody has to expand.

Reaction Score
Not saying they don't exercise any editorial control, I just find it hard to beleive they have Monday morning staff meetings where they distribute realignment bullet points requiring that Connecticut be sabotaged to everyone from D Vitale to McMurphy to some no-name blogger....

In my experience, every large corporation I've worked for has had some event occur (aqcuisition, layoffs, etc) where the employees received an email regarding how to respond to questions in the event we were asked about it. These were emails to everyone from the security guards to the help desk guys to the upper management.

On the other hand, ESPN is a corporation where public perception is everything. I'm not trying to argue what it all means, whether this means there are secret CR dealings going on. But I would be suprised to find out that everyone who has a public face for ESPN doesn't know what message they're supposed to be sending.

Reaction Score
do u think the acc and espn want it out there that uconn rejected them? that would look so bad if it happened. ssssoooooo bad. it doesn't matter if uconn goes to the b10 or dies in the nbe either way it looks horrible that the acc/espn got rejected in order for a school to try for something else vs gaining a ok landing spot.

the acc bascially did make the invite public. they named uconn a lock and so on almost minutes after md and rut to the b10. then within a hour or so the uconn pumping stopped. we head lville made a call, cincy is sending power points lmfao and now ttemple and usf blah blah this and that. if u this that was all just by random then your the nut not me. just remember whaler, i'm 10 steps ahead of u!

Holy Cross and Rutgers turned down the Big East: It didn't make the Big East look bad, it just made those schools look foolish.

Reaction Score
Syracuse lets their players get away with criminal behavior. No exaggeration.
This all sounds good until you realize the Bernie Fine Story was all blown up by Mark Schwartz...a year later: All four witnesses discredited to varying degrees, lawsuits dropped and a federal investigation ended with no charges.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Nobody has to expand. It's probably not over but nobody has to expand.

$10m plus additional to an athletic budget = "has" in my book, but maybe its just semantics...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
$10m plus additional to an athletic budget = "has" in my book, but maybe its just semantics...

What conferences get an incremental 10 million for their schools with expansion? I must have missed the ACC increase for Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt. Colorado and Utah got USC and Arizona 10 million more?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
What conferences get an incremental 10 million for their schools with expansion? I must have missed the ACC increase for Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt. Colorado and Utah got USC and Arizona 10 million more?

First of all, don't pretend like you didn't understand that RMoore was using the 10 mil figure to describe the benefits to the school and not the conference.

Secondly, if you don't believe that a school's addition to a conference adds millions of dollars to the new conference, then it means that you don't understand what's going on around you. Why else do you think that the tv companies add one to two million dollars per every team in a conference when one or two new schools join? Expansion = Bigger money for the conferences. Don't pretend that you don't get it, because I know you're smart enough to understand...

Reaction Score

The way this plays out for me is that UConn, USF and Cincy rejoin all former BE teams except VT, Miami, WV, Rutgers and maybe Pitt, with the addition of Wake Forest and possibly Duke. That's maybe not the best case scenario, but the likeliest "good" scenario.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First of all, don't pretend like you didn't understand that RMoore was using the 10 mil figure to describe the benefits to the school and not the conference.

Secondly, if you don't believe that a school's addition to a conference adds millions of dollars to the new conference, then it means that you don't understand what's going on around you. Why else do you think that the tv companies add one to two million dollars per every team in a conference when one or two new schools join? Expansion = Bigger money for the conferences. Don't pretend that you don't get it, because I know you're smart enough to understand...

Dan, I'll spell this out nice and clear for you guys.

The fact that the added schools benefit does not force the existing power conferences to do anything.

Why does any league need to expand if the current members do not increase their individual rake. If the Pac 12 schools get 25 million and adding new schools they still get 25 million - why do they HAVE to expand?

If they gave them incremental money for each team they add why wouldn't a league just add every team available. The ACC could have 30 teams if they so chose and it meant incremental dollars for each of the existing schools for each addition.

Reaction Score
This all sounds good until you realize the Bernie Fine Story was all blown up by Mark Schwartz...a year later: All four witnesses discredited to varying degrees, lawsuits dropped and a federal investigation ended with no charges.

How was Bobby Davis discredited? Law enforcement in Syracuse stated that there was more than enough evidence there that, had there not been a statute of limitations, Fine would have been arrested. One listen to the Laurie Fine tape tells me that Bernie Fine used to visit Davis in his basement regularly when Davis was 13-15 years old, and Laurie Fine thought he was molesting the kid.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan, I'll spell this out nice and clear for you guys.

The fact that the added schools benefit does not force the existing power conferences to do anything.

Why does any league need to expand if the current members do not increase their individual rake. If the Pac 12 schools get 25 million and adding new schools they still get 25 million - why do they HAVE to expand?

If they gave them incremental money for each team they add why wouldn't a league just add every team available. The ACC could have 30 teams if they so chose and it meant incremental dollars for each of the existing schools for each addition.

You're kidding about all this, right? Please tell me you're kidding, because I know you're smarter than this.

OF COURSE not every addition of a school adds money!!! That's why nobody is racing to add UL-Monroe! The point here is that there is most certainly an "arms race" going on here, and it is involving well known universities, tv markets, etc. Is there anything that inherently makes Missouri an SEC team? Is there anything that inherently makes WVU a Big12 team? How about Louisville becoming a member of an "Atlantic" Coast Conference? (all these questions were rhetorical, so I'll supply the "no" for you). They were deemed to be additions that would add monetary value to the conference, or at the very least, membership stability (which is monetary value also).

And if you think that each major conference isn't actively continuing that process, in order to insure their respective long-term survival (a.k.a., don't "Big East" yourself), then you are kidding yourself and others...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're kidding about all this, right? Please tell me you're kidding, because I know you're smarter than this.

OF COURSE not every addition of a school adds money!!! That's why nobody is racing to add UL-Monroe! The point here is that there is most certainly an "arms race" going on here, and it is involving well known universities, tv markets, etc. Is there anything that inherently makes Missouri an SEC team? Is there anything that inherently makes WVU a Big12 team? How about Louisville becoming a member of an "Atlantic" Coast Conference? (all these questions were rhetorical, so I'll supply the "no" for you). They were deemed to be additions that would add monetary value to the conference, or at the very least, membership stability (which is monetary value also).

And if you think that each major conference isn't actively continuing that process, in order to insure their respective long-term survival (a.k.a., don't "Big East" yourself), then you are kidding yourself and others...

None of which means that any individual conference HAS to expand now or ever. There is a difference between needing to and choosing to.

Reaction Score
None of which means that any individual conference HAS to expand now or ever. There is a difference between needing to and choosing to.

I've already explained this to you, and you've conveniently ignored it.

I get it though - you are by nature a negative person. You just can't bring yourself to accept the fact that this may in fact work out just fine for UConn.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Oh, for !

I don't HAVE to try my best at work. But doing so insures my relative security at my job.
I don't HAVE to try my best at school. But doing so insures my relative chances to secure employment.
Conferences don't HAVE to actively participate in expansion. Because the Big East model was so successful, so there's no real reason to fortify themselves, is there?

Could you just stop trying to be the contrarian for 5 minutes, especially when it's painfully clear that you understand what is being typed in the thread, and what's worse, I'm pretty sure that in large part you agree with it.....please!....

Reaction Score
Just as an aside, I keep getting boneyard alerts that say "X" has replied to the thread ESPN...

Hahahahaha. Little things like that cheer me up...

Reaction Score
Is Bernie Fine a player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog