ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll | The Boneyard

ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
KY drops only one spot after an abysmal showing last night means that the voters don't care too much for the teams still below them. I can see that but I can't see dropping ND below Stanford. Stanford is good with the O sisters and Kokenis but I would like our chances against them in Denver much more than ND.

And WVU not betting enough votes in either poll to crack the top 25 is just stupid.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
KY drops only one spot after an abysmal showing last night means that the voters don't care too much for the teams still below them. I can see that but I can't see dropping ND below Stanford. Stanford is good with the O sisters and Kokenis but I would like our chances against them in Denver much more than ND.

And WVU not betting enough votes in either poll to crack the top 25 is just stupid.
I think there are erratic teams below Duke.

I agree about ND at 3 and Stanford at 4. ND has more good wins, by far.

WVU is a good team. Any "volunteers" to play them in the NCAAs??

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Erratic is exactly the right word. You could say Duke is also erratic because they can have so much trouble scoring, but the defense is almost always there.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's a big poop sandwich after the first four or five teams. A few squads capable of playing the role of spoiler, but I don't even see any fringe contenders in that bunch.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Yes this is likely as any recent year for the 4 #seeds to make it to the FF.. Especially if Duke is not put in the West region with Stanford.

I'm starting to think aTm could once again be a surprise and get to the Elite 8.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yes this is likely as any recent year for the 4 #seeds to make it to the FF.. Especially if Duke is not put in the West region with Stanford.

I'm starting to think aTm could once again be a surprise and get to the Elite 8.
Wouldn't surpise me if they made the E8, but beyond that would be. Baylor and UConn lit them up, and they won't have the lucky break of getting to play in Texas in the regional semis/finals.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

i thought the same thing. i predicted they'd enter the polls at about 21 or so. but someone else pointed out that they had to leapfrog like 10 teams or something and that wouldn't happen. i guess they were right. but i agree it's not logical.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's a big poop sandwich after the first four or five teams. A few squads capable of playing the role of spoiler, but I don't even see any fringe contenders in that bunch.
The next time I want to use the word "erratic," I think I'll simply substitute "poop sandwich" and see how the audience reacts. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Erratic is exactly the right word. You could say Duke is also erratic because they can have so much trouble scoring, but the defense is almost always there.
Duke does not have any WTF losses. I think all of the major teams below them do. At least they win the games they are supposed to, even if the scores are close. All teams have been erratic in play, both within games and for full games. But about 80% of the top 25 have at least one inexplicable (cleaned up from the first line) loss. Speaking of erratic, the LVs may be in a class by themselves. They looked very good last night. I do not expect them to sustain it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Did you get that one from your daughter?
Nah- sanitized line from Full Metal Jacket. The Captain (?) who runs the military's newspaper tells his staff (including Private Joker/Matthew Modine) after the Tet Offensive: It's a huge s*** sandwich, and we're all gonna have to take a bite.

Loved that movie...

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

What's interesting about this is (Alex, Im not picking on you :)) is that did anyone see TAMU/ND last year competing for a NC? Just reaffirms my belief that with each passing year there is always gonna be 1 or even 2 teams that sneak in by virtue of gelling at the right time or simply favorable seeding. I wont be surprised at all if only 2 of the ranked top 4 make it to Denver.

West Virginia beat ND, Cal took Stanford to OT @ Stanford. We played horrible against Louisville, for many reasons, yes, but just the same...........getting knocked out of one game is all it takes. Off shooting night for a higher seed and lights out shooting by the lower seed could spell trouble.

Take Kentucky for example(just an example!), their defense is generally very very good. If they have a night where they shoot lights out, I think they can hang and beat anyone.

St Johns played Baylor even for one half! Impressive for an unranked team. IF Tennessee plays like they did last night they could very easily contend.

Look at the projected #2 seeds. Many of them have fallen to unranked teams and certainly the #2 seeds could contend for a NC.

I think the NCAA tourney is going to be very interesting this year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What's interesting about this is (Alex, Im not picking on you :)) is that did anyone see TAMU/ND last year competing for a NC? Just reaffirms my belief that with each passing year there is always gonna be 1 or even 2 teams that sneak in by virtue of gelling at the right time or simply favorable seeding. I wont be surprised at all if only 2 of the ranked top 4 make it to Denver.

West Virginia beat ND, Cal took Stanford to OT @ Stanford. We played horrible against Louisville, for many reasons, yes, but just the same...........getting knocked out of one game is all it takes. Off shooting night for a higher seed and lights out shooting by the lower seed could spell trouble.

Take Kentucky for example(just an example!), their defense is generally very very good. If they have a night where they shoot lights out, I think they can hang and beat anyone.

St Johns played Baylor even for one half! Impressive for an unranked team. IF Tennessee plays like they did last night they could very easily contend.

Look at the projected #2 seeds. Many of them have fallen to unranked teams and certainly the #2 seeds could contend for a NC.

I think the NCAA tourney is going to be very interesting this year.
No arguments here as far as all four #1s probably not making it to Denver. I've posted this before, but I'd say a typical #1 seed has the following odds of making it out of their region:

Round 1- 99%
Round 2- 90%
Round 3- 75%
Round 4- 65%

That means the typical #1 only has a 43.44% chance of making the Final Four. If you have four typical #1s, there's only a 3.56% chance of all four making it. Now, a team like Baylor may be a little bit better than a typical #1, but not overwhelmingly so.

Heck, take UConn 2010. Odds would be something like:

Round 1- 100%
Round 2- 95%
Round 3- 85%
Round 4- 80%

That's a 61.2% chance of making the F4. Even in the impossible scenario of having four such #1 seeds, there would only be a 14.03% chance of all four making it.

So yes, the tourney will be interesting as it always is, but I just don't see any of the teams outside of the top 4/5 being anywhere enar consistent enough to go all the way. Pull off an upset? Sure. But win the whole thing like A&M? Skeptical. A&M was definitely not a favorite, but there was some thought they might be more deserving of a #1 seed than Tennessee. They played very well against a brutal schedule, and always fought, even in defeat. And even then the stars aligned as far as getting to play a #1 seed for the fourth time in their home state, followed by the bizarre Stanford game where they basically trailed the entire game prior t the last minute. Based on where the regionals are, the only team that could have the stars align for them like that is Duke, and they're in the top 4/5 anyway. :)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think it will be interesting as well. But more so that there will be more 5-12, 6-11 upsets and maybe even a couple 3-14's or 4-13's.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Every team has had games where they looked beatable. Even Baylor. Injuries could play a role in how it all plays out. Should be interesting.

Reaction Score
I have not seen Delaware play. I only know what I have read about the team. Are they a legitimate top 10 team?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Expecting four #1 seeds to make it to the FFs is not something I would bet any of my 39-0 tee-shirts on. It's happened just once back in 1989 when the #1 seeds got a first round bye (as did the 2-4 seeds) and in a year when three of the 4 had cushy, fairly local roads to the FF, though the other one Maryland had to beat Texas in Texas. One all-#1 FF in 30 years has a percentage extremely close to 3.56%. When the tournament begins, a few lower seeded teams like Louisville in 2009 always start playing at a higher level and the pressure squeezes the #1s until a few fall early. So when the ESPN columnists rotely all pick the #1s again this year, they do know better but they don't want to get any fans irate by disrespecting a #1.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I have not seen Delaware play. I only know what I have read about the team. Are they a legitimate top 10 team?
Tough to say. Definitely top 15-20. Given the inconsistent field of teams this year, possibly top 10. EDD is the kind of player no team outside of the top 5 has, so they present a unique challenge.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Tough to say. Definitely top 15-20. Given the inconsistent field of teams this year, possibly top 10. EDD is the kind of player no team outside of the top 5 has, so they present a unique challenge.
Unique challenge for sure. Any team without a defensive stopper with some size has to be concerned that EDD could drop 50 or more points on them which could be enough for a win. They gave Maryland a very good game in College Park so on a neutral court they might even be a tossup against a poor defensive team like Maryland. They beat Penn State, a decent team. Even Duke, an offensively challenged team might have some trouble if they were unable to keep EDD from going off.

I just hope the folks at ESPN give us plenty of opportunity to see Delaware in March.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
. Even Duke, an offensively challenged team might have some trouble if they were unable to keep EDD from going off.

If we are a #2 seed... I would absolutely love to see Delaware as our #3. I think the offensively challenged part about Duke is vastly overblown. Are we an elite offensive team. No. But we do have a balanced offensive attack. Each of our starters have scored at least 20 points in a game this year.... not too many teams can boast that. 5 players average double figures in Conference Play. Thats not bad. Looking back at our schedule.... there are a few games where we struggled offensively. @ BYU in the opener, vs ND in the Bahamas, vs UCONN, vs Purdue, and @ VPI come to mind.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
If we are a #2 seed... I would absolutely love to see Delaware as our #3. I think the offensively challenged part about Duke is vastly overblown. Are we an elite offensive team. No. But we do have a balanced offensive attack. Each of our starters have scored at least 20 points in a game this year.... not too many teams can boast that. 5 players average double figures in Conference Play. Thats not bad. Looking back at our schedule.... there are a few games where we struggled offensively. @ BYU in the opener, vs ND in the Bahamas, vs UCONN, vs Purdue, and @ VPI come to mind.

You sure about that "offensively challenged is vastly overblown" part? BYU, Purdue and VPI are not exactly outstanding defensive teams.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You sure about that "offensively challenged is vastly overblown" part? BYU, Purdue and VPI are not exactly outstanding defensive teams.

Every team has a few clunkers every so often. :cool:

Just looking at our site.... Duke is averaging more points then any year since the 2005-2006 season, and averaging more assists then any season since 2005-2006. Certainly there are teams that I can see us struggling against in the tourney..... but its not that many teams... less then 10.... and Id say only 3 teams that would present an uphill battle. Delaware is definitely not one of those teams. We have improved offensively.... and I hope we can prove the doubters wrong come March.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Probably not but just consider 40-50 points for EDD for a couple of games, that'll spruce up any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom