ESPN Updates Top 25 Players In Country | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN Updates Top 25 Players In Country

Reaction Score
Paige has had more hype than probably anyone since Candace Parker/Maya Moore. Her massive social media presence is obviously a partial catalyst but she's been on everyone's radar since day 1. There's no shafting going on.
It’s worth noting that Hailey Van Lith actually as 11k more followers on Instagram. Paige gets a lot of hype because it’s honestly deserved. She’s far exceeded any preseason expectations I had.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It’s worth noting that Hailey Van Lith actually as 11k more followers on Instagram. Paige gets a lot of hype because it’s honestly deserved. She’s far exceeded any preseason expectations I had.
I agree she deserves all of it. She's fantastic. I'm just saying she's isn't getting shafted with lack of coverage as others suggested.

Reaction Score
How K. Williams makes this list is a big headscratcher. Owusu should be higher. Diamond Miller and Tehina Pao Pao deserve to be on this list.

Naz Hillmon should be top 5...25.7 points, 11.6 rebounds and 64% FG is insane.

McDonald is way overrated at 4. Her numbers look good, but 41% FG and not even a 1.5 A/TO ratio on a borderline top 10 team isn't top 5 worthy.

Also, if they want to put a Tennessee player on here, Burrell is the correct pick, not Davis.
Agree with you about Burrell. Always had the talent. That Sophomore to Jr. maturity level is a big part of it. More consistent this year. Love watching her play.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Quite a bit on that list Doesn't make sense to me..
For starters;
How Does CW (14.6 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 3.4 APG) rank higher than Liv? (16.3 PPG, 7.7 RPG, 2 BPG)
Why is Aliyah Boston(13.6 PPG, 10.7 RPG, 2.2 BPG) ranked that High? 12th
Why is Charli Collier (21.6 PPG, 9.9 RPG, 57.9% FG) not ranked Higher than Hailey Jones? (15.2 PPG, 9.4 RPG, 3.5 APG52.8% FG)
Why is Naz Hillman not ranked higher than 11th (25.7 PPG, 11.6 RPG, 64.2 FG) her numbers may currently be the Best of the bunch...
Fran Belibi (12.0 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 57.6 FG) ranked Higher than Liv? (16.3 PPG, 7.7 RPG, 2 BPG), what a disrespect...

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Ionescu stood out at the McDonalds all star game. She virtually willed her team to a win. For that one game, she was the best of the best. She got the nation's attention through her play in that game.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Quite a bit on that list Doesn't make sense to me..
For starters;
How Does CW (14.6 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 3.4 APG) rank higher than Liv? (16.3 PPG, 7.7 RPG, 2 BPG)
Why is Aliyah Boston(13.6 PPG, 10.7 RPG, 2.2 BPG) ranked that High? 12th
Why is Charli Collier (21.6 PPG, 9.9 RPG, 57.9% FG) not ranked Higher than Hailey Jones? (15.2 PPG, 9.4 RPG, 3.5 APG52.8% FG)
Why is Naz Hillman not ranked higher than 11th (25.7 PPG, 11.6 RPG, 64.2 FG) her numbers may currently be the Best of the bunch...
Fran Belibi (12.0 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 57.6 FG) ranked Higher than Liv? (16.3 PPG, 7.7 RPG, 2 BPG), what a disrespect...

Agree Liv should be ahead of CW.

Ranking UCONN players compared to players from other teams is difficult since they havent faced any strong competition. Belibi has played quite well against a tougher schedule so far this year, where Liv has great numbers but hasn't played any quality opponent. Last year she had fantastic games against small teams but usually struggled against taller posts. Whoever made this list also likely didn't want to put 3 UCONN players ahead of just 1 Stanford player when Stanford is the #1 team so far this year.

Jones is the best player on the #1 team that has a lot of balance, Collier is the main standout on a team ranked in the 15-25 range. Stats for players on top teams are usually weighted more heavily than stats for players on weaker teams. In past years UCONN players had less eye popping individual stats but still earned AA and high ranking honors (ex. Gabby Williams, Morgan Tuck, Moriah Jefferson, Asjha Jones, Sue Bird, even DT). Jones falls into that boat this year and should be a strong POY candidate even if she doesn't average 20ppg.

Boston when she plays her best is the best post in the country by a pretty wide margin IMO. SC has had growing pains with Harris leaving but she's starting to round into form and play at that level. Stats aren't mind-blowing but watch the 2nd half of the Kentucky game and you'll be hard pressed to find a more impressive showing than the one she had considering the quality of opponent.

Agree Hillmon should be higher.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
In past years UCONN players had less eye popping individual stats but still earned AA and high ranking honors (ex. Morgan Tuck, Moriah Jefferson, Asjha Jones, Sue Bird, even DT).
I've been told many times on this site that stats are overrated...except when it's UConn players compiling notable stats. :rolleyes:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I've been told many times on this site that stats are overrated...except when it's UConn players compiling notable stats. :rolleyes:
Would you argue those players weren't deserving of the honors they received? Team success is definitely an important indicator for player rankings since at the end of the day, you're playing for your team to win rather than to rack up individual stats and honors.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Boston when she plays her best is the best post in the country by a pretty wide margin IMO. SC has had growing pains with Harris leaving but she's starting to round into form and play at that level.
LOL, That's like saying when Christyn Williams is playing her best she's the best player on UCONN.. I'm sorry, When Making a list of the current 25 best players in the country, it should NOT be based on projections... It should be based on each player's consistency up until the period of the listing, which is why I believe they list the stats of each player to argue their claim(s)...

Also to use the argument that the reason her numbers aren't high is because the guards aren't getting her the ball, then her field goal % should still be higher, if she is the most dominant post. So why are they not? She is a good post player but this season IMO she is not Alpha at the moment.. Let's see if that changes.. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would you argue those players weren't deserving of the honors they received? Team success is definitely an important indicator for player rankings since at the end of the day, you're playing for your team to win rather than to rack up individual stats and honors.
Personally don't think Walker deserved AA last season. Our team essentially had two quality wins (Depaul & Tennessee) and lost by 15+ points to the top teams nationally. She didn't produce against the top competition, so was an AA based on big stats against a dreadful AAC schedule and pretty weak OOC wins. (I don't find 18 points on 5-20 shooting vs Baylor impressive)

I personally think Dangerfield was way more deserving, but the 20 ppg of Walker was the notable stat to voters.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Hot take

if UCONN hadn’t pissed off ESPN and went to the BE, Paige would be higher, more widely covered, and given more respect.

ESPN shoved Ionescu down our throats for years....
In the first 8 games of Ionescu's college career? I don't remember that at all. I remember her earning it through some big plays over her frosh and sophomore years and then amassing all those triple doubles. She was nowhere near as hyped as Bueckers coming into college.

And Bueckers has thus far faced only B squads. Give it time. I have no doubt she will be Sabrina-ized in short order.

Reaction Score
I'd have disagree in general and Burrell specifically. This is version 2.0 which means version 1.0 was the starting point. Davis has been moved to the bottom which is justifiable based on this year performance, but Burrell has not done enough to get on the list IMO.

Curious as to your thoughts on Hillmon. Do you she's too high at 11 or think putting her in the top 5 is a reach?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Curious as to your thoughts on Hillmon. Do you she's too high at 11 or think putting her in the top 5 is a reach?
Hillmon has been ballin this season and deserving of consideration for POY and top 5 IMO. I'll be honest I've slept on her and completely forgot that when Paige played U19 in 2019 and was the MVP Hilmon was the 5th starter along with Paige, Van Lith, Rhyne Howard, & Boston. She beat out some pretty impressive company to earn that starting spot also (Belebi, Brink, Egbo, & Joens. I've got to start paying more attention to her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not really what I meant. Just a tongue in cheek comment about the sliding scale of when stats matter and when they don't.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
How is Rickea Jackson only averaging 4 reb/game? You can find plenty of guards without her height or athleticism averaging 6 or 7 per game.
She can't rebound, but she has some sick ballet dancing skills under the basket. Some argument among us that she should play the 4 so as to confine herself to a small space, and to up her rebound totals.

Reaction Score
Hillmon has been ballin this season and deserving of consideration for POY and top 5 IMO. I'll be honest I've slept on her and completely forgot that when Paige played U19 in 2019 and was the MVP Hilmon was the 5th starter along with Paige, Van Lith, Rhyne Howard, & Boston. She beat out some pretty impressive company to earn that starting spot also (Belebi, Brink, Egbo, & Joens. I've got to start paying more attention to her.

I became a big fan of her during the U19 tournament as I watched USA and Canada games when I could. Was lucky to see a Michigan game before COVID and the border closure happened. It's great to see she's getting more recognition.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To me, the 3 main Centers listed of Boston, Collier and Liv, all need to be seen against like centers as Boston struggled against Cunnane with only 9 points on 4-14 shooting but she did garner 9 rebounds. Collier, like the comment about Liv, has feasted on lesser competition but also has struggled against Texas A&M 4-11, only 14 points and against WV with only 5 points and 5 fouls in 22 min. How Liv does against Tennessee (with Key and KK) and against SC will determine her credentials. I know some on here really like Collier (ahem, Coco) but to me she's Kramer beating up 9 year olds in Karate class yet against better competition, she shrinks. Boston on the other had has a much stronger body of work so her match up with Liv will be interesting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To me, the 3 main Centers listed of Boston, Collier and Liv, all need to be seen against like centers as Boston struggled against Cunnane with only 9 points on 4-14 shooting but she did garner 9 rebounds. Collier, like the comment about Liv, has feasted on lesser competition but also has struggled against Texas A&M 4-11, only 14 points and against WV with only 5 points and 5 fouls in 22 min. How Liv does against Tennessee (with Key and KK) and against SC will determine her credentials. I know some on here really like Collier (ahem, Coco) but to me she's Kramer beating up 9 year olds in Karate class yet against better competition, she shrinks. Boston on the other had has a much stronger body of work so her match up with Liv will be interesting.
Ahem, I realize this is a UCONN board and this opinion might sound blasphemous but ONO has not done enough to warrant being in the conversations of among the best bigs in college basketball. ONO was more impactful as a freshman (ND game) than she was in her entire sophomore year.
There are three big's (Boston, Collier, Cunnane) deservedly on the ESPN top 25 list ahead of ONO. There should be at least three more IMO Kitley of VaTech, Lee of Kansas State & Mack of OK State. If Liv want to be in this conversation she can't be struggling against the TN front line (1st half) as she did last year and the Providence front line as she did this year-in this HER JUNIOR SEASON.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom