ESPN updated 2014 rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN updated 2014 rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

THC

Reaction Score
The 2000 class with Taliek Brown, Scott Hazelton and Caron Butler was probably the highest ranked UConn class ever. Most had their class ranked either 1 or 2.

Wasn't Johnnie Selvie part of that class?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
2011 with Andre Drummond (#2), DeAndre Daniels (#10), and Boatright (mid 50-60's) was really good as well. Too bad Dre and Daniels signed late, would have been top 5.

Reaction Score
It was pretty much a consensus top 5 recruiting class.

1991-1992
1. Richie Ashmeade, guard, Queens Village, NY
2. Jeff Calhoun, guard, Mansfield, CT
3. Brian Fair, guard, Phoenix, AZ
4. Rudy Johnson, guard, Jacksonville, FL
5. Donny Marshall, forward, Federal Way, WA
6. Donyell Marshall, forward, Reading, PA
7. Kevin Ollie, guard, Los Angeles, CA
8. Nantambu Willingham, center, Atlanta, GA

Jeff Calhoun was a stud and a half!

Reaction Score
Here's what they said about Hamilton's rise in the rankings:
UConn-bound shooting guard Daniel Hamilton (Los Angeles/St. John Bosco), who rose from No. 27 to No. 17, continues to impress with his aggressive scoring nature, creativity off the bounce and efficient shooting from inside and beyond the 3-point arc.

Reaction Score
Can't forget Douggie Wiggins in that 2006 class with those guys. Not an elite recruit but I think Telep had him as a top 100 guy.
I spaced & left Doug out for whatever reason... Doug was a bonus when reneged from St.Johns and some other kid ended up not coming to UConn or UConn withdrew his scholarship. Was it Romar Smith? I think that other kid went to Tennessee & eventually transferred out of there too.

Reaction Score
Wow, I had forgotten about Ashmeade! Didn't he quickly transfer out? I thought Calhoun was a year or so later, but I'm guessing he was a walk on. Boo supposedly had a nice Pro career playing all over the place.

Ashmeade ended up at RU while still in the A10?

Thought Travis Knight was in that one?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our best class was probably Okafor and Gordon. What did that Pitt guy call it, undistiguished?

Reaction Score
Our best class was probably Okafor and Gordon. What did that Pitt guy call it, undistiguished?

But at the time that they signed with UCONN, Okafor was rated around 100-125 and Gordon was in the 40's. If you want to rate them by how things ended up 3 years later....yes, probably our best class.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What about the class with Rip and KFree? Also Jake and Leblanc. Anyone remember where that one came in?

Reaction Score
We also have a really nice looking lineup of people considering us for 2015 which they now have the ESPN 60 for

Reaction Score
I saw this in Dave Telep's article with his top 10 thoughts about the 2014 class. Good news for UConn.

9. Conference affiliation won’t matter
Realignment is difficult to follow. Even if you’re in the business, you need a reference sheet. Imagine being a recruit. Some unscientific research this spring yielded this conclusion: Recruits no longer care about conference affiliation. They’re making college decisions based on two factors. First, players want to know how and how fast the coach can get them to the NBA. Second, they want a strong relationship with the head coach. The elite players are considering development and the NBA, not conference affiliation. When is the last time you heard a top-25 prospect say the deciding factor was the league? It’s not happening.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post?id=3669

Reaction Score
They’re making college decisions based on two factors. First, players want to know how and how fast the coach can get them to the NBA. Second, they want a strong relationship with the head coach. The elite players are considering development and the NBA, not conference affiliation.

Check, and check.

I actually think that second aspect will be even easier to sell with KO than it was with JC. Kids increasingly want the easy road and tune out old-school attitudes (see AO). KO isn't an "easy" coach, but his teaching methods are a lot more positive and likely to earn the respect of the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom