ESPN: Top player by position | The Boneyard

ESPN: Top player by position

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks for linking that. I think it's important to note that players 2-5 are listed alphabetically. This issue has come up in previous years.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
i thought williams was the point guard for miami and johnson was a shooting guard/small forward. i also thought johnson was at least 5'11" as opposed to the 5'7" she's listed as.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
and i thought chiney was more of a small forward than she was a power forward for stanford...here she's listed as the center. if anything she plays the four while nneka plays the 5.

Reaction Score
and i thought chiney was more of a small forward than she was a power forward for stanford...here she's listed as the center. if anything she plays the four while nneka plays the 5.

Agree!

Reaction Score
I don't agree with Novosel as one of the best shooting guards. I remember alot of her scoring coming from driving to the hoop and getting fouled. When I think of shooting guards, I think about shooting from outside the lane (not just the position itself). Her 3pt percentage is 27% (8-30, according to ND's website. They do not have the 2010-11 season stats up in her defense).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And the Prahalis hype machine goes on....

Nice to see Keisha Hampton get some well-deserved national attention.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
very little on that list to nitpick. move some players around a bit as i think everyone knows Chiney is not a center, but other than that...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
i thought williams was the point guard for miami and johnson was a shooting guard/small forward. i also thought johnson was at least 5'11" as opposed to the 5'7" she's listed as.
Miami lists Shenise at 5'11". She is way bigger than 5'7".

I thought Williams was the PG, though she is a bit of a gunner (under 40% on FGs), so maybe SG is right too. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UConn and N.D. are the only schools with 3 players on the list.

4 sophomores on the list: Bria, Stef, Odyssey, and Chiney.

I'll take Kaleena Lewis over Novosel "any day."

Reaction Score
I don't agree with Novosel as one of the best shooting guards. I remember alot of her scoring coming from driving to the hoop and getting fouled. When I think of shooting guards, I think about shooting from outside the lane (not just the position itself). Her 3pt percentage is 27% (8-30, according to ND's website. They do not have the 2010-11 season stats up in her defense).

She was 31 for 75 in 2010/2011 season for 41.3% from the 3 spot... Not too shabby.

Reaction Score
UConn and N.D. are the only schools with 3 players on the list.

4 sophomores on the list: Bria, Stef, Odyssey, and Chiney.

I'll take Kaleena Lewis over Novosel "any day."

I'll second that, but I think they were grading players with at least one year of college playing time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll second that, but I think they were grading players with at least one year of college playing time.
I think that's correct. By the end of the year, E. Williams could be a top-5 post.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks for linking that. I think it's important to note that players 2-5 are listed alphabetically. This issue has come up in previous years.

Kevi Luper (a 5-10 Junior at Oral Roberts) should be on the 2 guard list.

She is an amazing talent. She led the NCAA last year in scoring and steals.
She is the only player to ever lead the NCAA in those two categories. She was the Summit League POY last year; and also the Defensive POY.

If you think she scored all those points in an easy league, think again.
She dropped 32 points on Baylor. And she outscored EDD in another game.

She is an incredible on ball defender.

If anyone has a tape of the USA Mexico game at the Pan Ams, go back and watch the tape. Kevi is #9 for the USA. When she was in the 9th and 10th grades, she won the Oklahoma High school Championship in 800 meters, and was runner-up in the State Cross Country Championships.

Kevi has a gorgeous 3 point shot. I wish we had her at UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kevi Luper (a 5-10 Junior at Oral Roberts) should be on the 2 guard list.

She is an amazing talent. She led the NCAA last year in scoring and steals.
She is the only player to ever lead the NCAA in those two categories. She was the Summit League POY last year; and also the Defensive POY.

If you think she scored all those points in an easy league, think again.
She dropped 32 points on Baylor. And she outscored EDD in another game.

She is an incredible on ball defender.

If anyone has a tape of the USA Mexico game at the Pan Ams, go back and watch the tape. Kevi is #9 for the USA. When she was in the 9th and 10th grades, she won the Oklahoma High school Championship in 800 meters, and was runner-up in the State Cross Country Championships.

Kevi has a gorgeous 3 point shot. I wish we had her at UConn.
Nice report., OC. I knew only some of that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm taking Dolson over every center not named Griner (not that this was in debate). She'll be the best all around center in WCBB this year. Griner still gets the nod overall though.

Chinney evaluated at center is silly. Chinney and Nneka remind me of the Cash/Ashja/Williams type of front court players. Hybrids.

Reaction Score
Per Standford's website Chiney is listed as a forward. The only center is Sarah Boothe and she is listed as a F/C.

Reaction Score
Actually defense is probably her claim to fame. Offense comes and goes but defense is always there. At least this is what Geno espouses. Novosel averaged 15.1 points per game for 2010-11. This is from the Notre Dame website. She had 75 steals and 11 blocks. Certainly not a point guard with more TO than assists - 102 vs 75. She average 4 rebounds. Her FG% was 45 with 41% for 3FG%.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Per Standford's website Chiney is listed as a forward. The only center is Sarah Boothe and she is listed as a F/C.
Jocelyn Tinkle isn't listed as a center? i know she likes to step back and hit the 3 but i'd think she's a center too...

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I cant argue too much with that list and mostly agree with what everyone else said. I think the Ogwumike sisters as dual forwards when they are in the lineup together, much like the Jones/Cash/Williams set.

Reaction Score
Chiney may have guarded some small forwards, but she's not a small forward and Pedersen played that position last season. Chiney is taller than her sister and is a shot blocker unlike her older sister. If they are starting as the two posts it is not a stretch at all to label Chiney as the center instead of Nneka.

Reaction Score
Actually defense is probably her claim to fame. Offense comes and goes but defense is always there. At least this is what Geno espouses. Novosel averaged 15.1 points per game for 2010-11. This is from the Notre Dame website. She had 75 steals and 11 blocks. Certainly not a point guard with more TO than assists - 102 vs 75. She average 4 rebounds. Her FG% was 45 with 41% for 3FG%.

Not sure if "shooting guard" is the first thing to come to mind when describing her position or roll. She's definitely a guard though. Important to note that she made more FT (183/232 for 79%) then anyone else except Alexander even attempted in the BE. I'll take a guard that shoots 41% from 3pt line that gets a ton of points from FT while the clock is stopped any day. Your shots not going to fall every game, but if you can get yourself to the line you're still helping your team. As a whole ND's guards drive the lane more then spot up.

Reaction Score
Jocelyn Tinkle isn't listed as a center? i know she likes to step back and hit the 3 but i'd think she's a center too...

From Stanford website
No....Name.........................Pos.Ht.....Yr.....Hometown (Last School)
00 ...Alex Green .................G ...5-9 ...FR ...Dallas, Texas (Bishop Lynch)
1 ....Grace Mashore ...........G ...5-10 .SR ...Washington, D.C. (National Cathedral)
3 ....Mikaela Ruef ...............F ....6-3 ..JR ....Beavercreek, Ohio (Beavercreek)
4 ....Taylor Greenfield ........F ....6-3 ..FR ....Huxley, Iowa (Ballard Community)
13 ..Chiney Ogwumike ......F ....6-3 ..SO ....Cypress, Texas (Cy-Fair)
15 ..Lindy La Rocque ........G ....5-8 ..SR ....Las Vegas, Nev. (Durango)
21.. Sara James ................G ....5-10 SO ....El Dorado Hills, Calif. (Oak Ridge)
23 ..Jasmine Camp ...........G ....5-7 ..FR ....Ellenwood, Ga. (Chamblee)
25 ..Erica Payne .................F ....6-2 ..FR ....Concord, Calif. (Carondelet)
30 ..Nnemkadi Ogwumike .F ....6-2 ..SR ....Cypress, Texas (Cy-Fair)
31 ..Toni Kokenis ...............G ....5-11 SO ....Oak Brook, Ill. (Hinsdale Central)
33 ..Amber Orrange ...........G ....5-7 ..FR ....Houston, Texas (Westbury Christian)
41 ..Bonnie Samuelson ......F.... 6-3 ..FR .....Huntington Beach, Calif. (Edison)
42 ..Sarah Boothe ..............F/C .6-5 ..RS JR ..Gurnee, Ill. (Warren Township)
44 ..Joslyn Tinkle ...............F .....6-3 ..JR .....Missoula, Mont. (Big Sky)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Miami lists Shenise at 5'11". She is way bigger than 5'7".

I thought Williams was the PG, though she is a bit of a gunner (under 40% on FGs), so maybe SG is right too. :)

Suprised they didnt have Johnson as the #1 SF..... yeah she played some PG last season, but definitely isnt a PG. She will be back at her best position this season. Williams never met a shot she didnt like.... but she is really fun to watch play. Perhaps the most explosive scorer in WCBB this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom