ESPN Too Early Basketball Top 25 (UConn listed as "next in line") | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN Too Early Basketball Top 25 (UConn listed as "next in line")

Reaction Score
Nope. UCONN fan though and through. Alumnus. Letterman. Put up Blue and White Christmas lights on my house when we won the 1999 title. I just think this move was short sighted for many reasons. Unless we do as palatine says, and I question whether we will, this was a move toward being a regional not national power.
Every bit of actual evidence indicates that there is 1 and only 1 national program in the NEWBIE. I suspect Wright looks at the rest of the league as a place to pad his win total against solid competitions. Nobody there is a threat to challenge Villanova for supremacy, but he isn’t getting penalized for playing them.

As for the rest of it, baseball is screwed. The woman are fine until Geno goes then we’ll see.

Academically we are now associating with a bunch of solid regional colleges. Plus Georgetown who is the only national university among the bunch.

I don’t and didn’t love the AAC. But I believe that long term it will eventually outperform the NEWBIE. It is made up of a group of schools who are committed to success in multiple sports. They have major and in some cases very significant graduate programs too. They offer real academic degrees, MDs, PHDs, not just the ubiquitous MBA and Masters in Religious Education. The NEWBIE care about men’s basketball but for the most part the members have neither the understanding, the resources nor the desire to be more than significant regional players. I’m not sure DePaul even has that.
I think, and it's only my opinion, that you must type this stuff knowing that the majority of the posters on here think you are delusional. How can the person who thinks that the Football team is going out to Fresno for their first game in well over a year and your prediction is 54-14 UConn...and that right there is all the proof any of us need.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
fit r
As far as academic rankings go...UConn would fit right in the ACC...and if it was about academics and wasn't about football, I think that Louisville would be in the Big 12 now and UConn in the ACC.

National University

#12 Duke
#19 Notre Dame
#26 Virginia
#28 UNC
#28 Wake Forest
#35 Boston College
#35 GT
#49 Miami
#58 FSU
#58 Syracuse
#58 Pittsburgh
#63 UConn
#74 Clemson
#74 VT
#80 NC State

and

#176 Louisville
fit right in the bottom 4/5
this is useless-sorry

Reaction Score
I don’t and didn’t love the AAC. But I believe that long term it will eventually outperform the NEWBIE. It is made up of a group of schools who are committed to success in multiple sports. They have major and in some cases very significant graduate programs too. They offer real academic degrees, MDs, PHDs, not just the ubiquitous MBA and Masters in Religious Education. The NEWBIE care about men’s basketball but for the most part the members have neither the understanding, the resources nor the desire to be more than significant regional players. I’m not sure DePaul even has that.

I’m not sure how you jumped from being committed to success in multiple sports over to academics, but figured I’d point out that the academics at the top school in the AAC, Tulane, has literally held their athletics back and made it one of the most difficult coaching jobs in the country. But if you would like more schools like that, then I’m sure you wouldnt mind schools like Rice joining the AAC. Also, personally I think lots of these academic rankings are BS.

For the record, I’m actually a big fan of the AAC and love rooting for them in football (and even basketball). I think they’re annually underrated in those two major sports (especially the middle of the pack teams). But Uconn is just a better fit in the big east, particularly geographically. It’s tough to recruit when the biggest name schools you play in the AAC are halfway across the country. Yeah football is left in the dust, but they weren’t doing much better in the AAC. At least now, expenses are less of a loss.

Also one last point, ESPN knows absolutely nothing outside of Duke/Kentucky/UNC and they’re just guessing when it comes to college basketball.

Reaction Score
I think, and it's only my opinion, that you must type this stuff knowing that the majority of the posters on here think you are delusional. How can the person who thinks that the Football team is going out to Fresno for their first game in well over a year and your prediction is 54-14 UConn...and that right there is all the proof any of us need.
So he is an optimist when it comes to UConn football but a pessimist with UConn men's basketball? That's very strange. To each his own, I guess.

Reaction Score
Must be summer cause we’re getting into the annual pissing match regarding does recruiting look different in the AAC or NBE.

Spoiler, someone will post conference recruiting rankings soon & BE wins

Reaction Score
fit r

fit right in the bottom 4/5
this is useless-sorry

compared to....#176 Louisville?

Who, as far as academics go is an extreme outlier...

I still believe that it was the football money that brought in Louisville over UConn and that the ACC Presidents, themselves, probably preferred UConn. Swofford did a sales job on football and the media contracts.

When some fans and FSU Board members openly discussed leaving the ACC for the Big 12...President Barron sent out an email to all boosters...saying, in part...."

7. The faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that is academically weaker — "

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I feel as if you aren't even trying much anymore Scooter.

Ranking of the top 5 "national universities" for each conference as per US News and World Report.

Key - Big East American

Georgetown #23
Tulane #41
Villanova #53
UConn #63

USF #103
Creighton #111
Seton Hall #133

Cincinnati #143
Tulsa #143 (tie)
UCF # 160

FYI Houston is #173. By way of comparison the branch campuses of Rutgers in Newark and Camden are also "national universities" and ranked 118 and 153 respectively.

I feel obliged to point out you missed one.

Marquette #88

I suppose this one too, but it's actually 6th anyway:

DePaul #124

Not sure what it matters though, Freescooter has already demonstrated he knows nothing of the other schools in the BE, let alone their basketball programs. Either that, or numerous friends of mine are going to be quite disappointed their PH.D's and J.D.'s are fake! I've always been suspicious of my dentist though... so that one I might believe.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feel obliged to point out you missed one.

Marquette #88

I suppose this one too, but it's actually 6th anyway:

DePaul #124

Not sure what it matters though, Freescooter has already demonstrated he knows nothing of the other schools in the BE, let alone their basketball programs. Either that, or numerous friends of mine are going to be quite disappointed their PH.D's and J.D.'s are fake! I've always been suspicious of my dentist though... so that one I might believe.
Thanks for the assist! I was doing it fast so I was sure I'd miss one. Apparently it was two though.

So here is what the revised list would look like using Scooter's random "national university" standard:

Key - Big East ( Top 5 Average 67.6) American (Top 5 Average 118)

Georgetown #23
Tulane #41
Villanova #53
UConn #63
Marquette #88

USF #103
Creighton #111
Cincinnati #143
Tulsa #143 (tie)
UCF # 160

Reaction Score
So he is an optimist when it comes to UConn football but a pessimist with UConn men's basketball? That's very strange. To each his own, I guess.
It's really strange as it seems that he is 2 completely different people. Maybe his screen name should be Sybil?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
After every recruit we hear we would never have gotten them in the AAC. But no one knows. We had the number five (#6?) recruiting class in the nation in the AAC. There was just a Courant article on them. So I find your logic faulty. Believe what you want.

The Big East is a good basketball conference. The AAC had a final four team last year. But that reality is not what I am interested in.

What I am interested in, what I would like, is UConn to get into a P5 conference. That should be our goal. I'm for anything that furthers that goal. That is the brass ring. I get playing the tourney in MSG is very cool and lots of UConn fans love it. I do too. But I would give up the BET in a heartbeat to move to a P5 conference. The move to the BE was a step backwards for UConn sports in general. But I get the emotional connection and excitement associated with the basketball. I just take a broader view. I'm have followed UConn since family members started going their in the 1950s. I'm an alum.

But I do get get tired of the BE groupies wetting themselves every time we get a recruit and saying something that can never be proven. My perspective is as valid as any other on this board which is to say it is meaningless. Go Huskies.

Saying something that can never be proven? Unless Don Amore is lying, Clingan’s father told him that “UConn’s move to the Big East a few months after they began recruiting Clingan made a huge difference.”

That’s called “evidence.” It’s not a coincidence that every commit mentions it.

I got depressed watching our kids play Tulane and Northwest Florida in front of 3,000 people. Didn’t you? If you think recruits were impressed by that, think again.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the assist! I was doing it fast so I was sure I'd miss one. Apparently it was two though.

So here is what the revised list would look like using Scooter's random "national university" standard:

Georgetown #23
Tulane #41
Villanova #53
UConn #63
Marquette #88

USF #103
Creighton #111
Cincinnati #143
Tulsa #143 (tie)
UCF # 160
They have clearly changed their definitions. National universities used to have actual PhD programs. Villanova does in Theology I guess. Creighton LOL. DOCTORATE in pharmacy which I guess makes St Joe’s a national university too

CL82

Reaction Score
They have clearly changed their definitions. National universities used to have actual PhD programs. Villanova does in Theology I guess. Creighton LOL. DOCTORATE in pharmacy which I guess makes St Joe’s a national university too
Well, since they’re all in the same database comparisons can be made. Seriously scooter do you ever get tired of shooting yourself in the foot? It would’ve taken what, five minutes just check that out before posting it.

Reaction Score
Hey folks, regular visitor to the site and enjoy checking in-- I am a Nova grad, BUT my kid went to UCONN law, so divided household!

Had to chime in here. This is just WRONG. No, Villanova is not a research institution like a Temple (which is a very good school), but to say Villanova has just a PhD program in Theology is not correct. It is absolutely considered a National Institution in many rankings..

Law School - JD
PhD in Nursing
PhD in Philosophy
PhD Theology (yes, there is one)
PhD in Engineering (concentrations in Civil, Electrical, Cybersecurity, Computer, Sustainability, Chemical or Mechanical)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
After every recruit we hear we would never have gotten them in the AAC. But no one knows. We had the number five (#6?) recruiting class in the nation in the AAC. There was just a Courant article on them. So I find your logic faulty. Believe what you want.

The Big East is a good basketball conference. The AAC had a final four team last year. But that reality is not what I am interested in.

What I am interested in, what I would like, is UConn to get into a P5 conference. That should be our goal. I'm for anything that furthers that goal. That is the brass ring. I get playing the tourney in MSG is very cool and lots of UConn fans love it. I do too. But I would give up the BET in a heartbeat to move to a P5 conference. The move to the BE was a step backwards for UConn sports in general. But I get the emotional connection and excitement associated with the basketball. I just take a broader view. I'm have followed UConn since family members started going their in the 1950s. I'm an alum.

But I do get get tired of the BE groupies wetting themselves every time we get a recruit and saying something that can never be proven. My perspective is as valid as any other on this board which is to say it is meaningless. Go Huskies.
That was the AAC’s infancy and we had just won a natty. The kids probably thought we were still be in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

From Alex Karaban after his recent visit

“There’s a big difference, I believe, in Big East basketball compared to the American,” Karaban said. “Even seeing the exposure they get from the Big East and the teams they play of course, just how hard it is to win in the Big East now with all the teams on the rise, I think it was a huge jump for them, and it was only a positive move.”

Reaction Score
If you don’t know the difference between Villanova’s very limited graduate programs and a school like Cincinatti that provides PhDs in something like 300 fields, has a well respected medical school, a law school, a major school of performing arts, I don’t know what to tell you. Villanova is much closer to Fairfield than UConn or Cincinnati. A solid regional Catholic college. Here’s a hint though. If your surgeon says he graduated from Villanova college of Medicine, run.

CL82

Reaction Score
If you don’t know the difference between Villanova’s very limited graduate programs and a school like Cincinatti that provides PhDs in something like 300 fields, has a well respected medical school, a law school, a major school of performing arts, I don’t know what to tell you. Villanova is much closer to Fairfield than UConn or Cincinnati. A solid regional Catholic college. Here’s a hint though. If your surgeon says he graduated from Villanova college of Medicine, run.
Lol and how exactly does PHD programs relate to undergrads playing basketball?

But if we are going with your original (quasi) point, these are the rankings of the top 5 "national universities" in both conference.

Georgetown #23
Tulane #41
Villanova #53
UConn #63
Marquette #88

USF #103
Creighton #111
Cincinnati #143
Tulsa #143 (tie)
UCF # 160

You were almost correct in that one conference stands head and shoulders above the other. You just got the conferences wrong. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When Villanova doesn't have an elite team, they still win the new big east. By a lot.

How is that even in question?

This league isn't remotely comparable to the former Big East.

Reaction Score

Everything said in this post is accurate.

Reaction Score
Nope. UCONN fan though and through. Alumnus. Letterman. Put up Blue and White Christmas lights on my house when we won the 1999 title. I just think this move was short sighted for many reasons. Unless we do as palatine says, and I question whether we will, this was a move toward being a regional not national power.
Every bit of actual evidence indicates that there is 1 and only 1 national program in the NEWBIE. I suspect Wright looks at the rest of the league as a place to pad his win total against solid competitions. Nobody there is a threat to challenge Villanova for supremacy, but he isn’t getting penalized for playing them.

As for the rest of it, baseball is screwed. The woman are fine until Geno goes then we’ll see.

Academically we are now associating with a bunch of solid regional colleges. Plus Georgetown who is the only national university among the bunch.

Everything said in this post is accurate as well.

Reaction Score
Personally, I care about playing Big East teams far, far, far more than I did about playing teams in the American. Would it be better for Connecticut to have teams the fans care about less and make more money in a P5? Absolutely, but from a fan perspective I like our conference mates in the Big East.

"Caring" was more influenced by all the losing to the teams in the American. That's why you hate those teams.

Reaction Score
When Villanova doesn't have an elite team, they still win the new big east. By a lot.

How is that even in question?

This league isn't remotely comparable to the former Big East.
Don't you have something to reply to on the WBB Board? If we want your opinion...we know where to find you

Reaction Score
Lol and how exactly does PHD programs relate to undergrads playing basketball?

But if we are going with your original (quasi) point, these are the rankings of the top 5 "national universities" in both conference.

Georgetown #23
Tulane #41
Villanova #53
UConn #63
Marquette #88

USF #103
Creighton #111
Cincinnati #143
Tulsa #143 (tie)
UCF # 160

You were almost correct in that one conference stands head and shoulders above the other. You just got the conferences wrong. :confused:

Stop engaging. He’s clearly an idiot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom