ESPN to be flushed down the toilet by Big10??? Certainly looks that way! | The Boneyard

ESPN to be flushed down the toilet by Big10??? Certainly looks that way!

Reaction Score
Here is the next Bombshell: If true, and it certainly looks like it is, this is a MONSTER SHOT across ESPN's bow:

On the one hand, it is another step down the inevitable path that is obliterating the college sports landscape as we have known it, and that is mostly sad.

That having been said. I can not help but LOVE, LOVE, LOVE when ESPN takes these much-deserved kicks to the groin. Screw those self-righteous bastards, particularly since they started college sports down this path with their underhanded, back room deals to ruin the Big East and continually leave us out the cold, even after the millions upon millions in subsidies they have received from the state of Connecticut and its taxpayers (of which I used to be one of you).

What you sew so shall you reap boys. How's it feel to taste some of your own medicine ESPN???? Couldn't have happened to a more insufferable group of elitist D-bags (upper management and some of the on-air talent, not the rank-and-file, by and large). They have earned every single gut punch, curb stomp and kick to the groin that they ever receive.

If nothing else, this ensures that ESPN will be unable to monopolize both of the 2 major conferences going forward (which would have been even more disastrous for college sports in general). It will be really interesting to see how the pieces fall after this, as the battle lines are becoming clearly drawn.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What you sew so shall you reap boys. How's it feel to taste some of your own medicine ESPN???? Couldn't have happened to a more insufferable group of elitist D-bags (upper management and some of the on-air talent, not the rank-and-file, by and large). They have earned every single gut punch, curb stomp and kick to the groin that they ever receive.
Bro talking about ESPN like a supervillain.

Reaction Score
Bro talking about ESPN like a supervillain.
Uh, bro... they have been there with the knives in our back every step of the way. We can sit here and blame Hathaway, Herbst, Manuel, whomever you want... BC (they and their AD get some of the blame), Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, FSU, Clemson...

But it always came back to the ultimate puppet master, ESPN. If they wanted us in the ACC, we would have been in the ACC. Period, End of story.

I have hated them for screwing us going back to the original expansion. If you don't, that's fine. But anyone who understand what really happened knows that it was ESPN who continually screwed us over the most.

And they became even easier to hate when they decided to become political. I haven't watched Sportscenter in years... they have no one to blame but themselves.

Reaction Score
How do you believe these football broadcast contracts will affect Big East media negotiations?

Will Big East basketball have no place to go when the music stops?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hasn’t this been clear for months? It’s fox/B1G versus espn/SEC except espn also has the acc and probably the pac next…3 of the 5 power conferences isn’t too bad. big12 will probably go with fox.

Yes, it has been obvious for those paying attention.

Plenty of fans have little interest in this until it nears the end so for them this is newer news.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Is ESPN even that relevant anymore?
There are so many other options out there
While I appreciate that ESPN was the original all sports trailblazer, they have shot themselves in the foot so many times that there is nothing but a stub left.

Reaction Score
How do you believe these football broadcast contracts will affect Big East media negotiations?

Will Big East basketball have no place to go when the music stops?

I think there is definitely a spot for it. I don't know what the current rights deal is, but it would only go up at this point and I would think there would be a solid bid for them. I hope we stay with fox as long as we don't have 8:30 games every damn night.

Also a minor complaint, but does anyone else hate their score bug thing? It's way too big.

Reaction Score
Here is the next Bombshell: If true, and it certainly looks like it is, this is a MONSTER SHOT across ESPN's bow:

On the one hand, it is another step down the inevitable path that is obliterating the college sports landscape as we have known it, and that is mostly sad.

That having been said. I can not help but LOVE, LOVE, LOVE when ESPN takes these much-deserved kicks to the groin. Screw those self-righteous bastards, particularly since they started college sports down this path with their underhanded, back room deals to ruin the Big East and continually leave us out the cold, even after the millions upon millions in subsidies they have received from the state of Connecticut and its taxpayers (of which I used to be one of you).

If nothing else, this ensures that ESPN will be unable to monopolize both of the 2 major conferences going forward (which would have been even more disastrous for college sports in general). It will be really interesting to see how the pieces fall after this, as the battle lines are becoming clearly drawn.
Espn has the sec. That is all they care about.

ESPN has switched gears for trying to own everything to owning growth products.

The SEC is in population centers that are growing. Same with ACC. Espn has decided on forgo the rust belt states of the big ten.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Uh, bro... they have been there with the knives in our back every step of the way. We can sit here and blame Hathaway, Herbst, Manuel, whomever you want... BC (they and their AD get some of the blame), Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, FSU, Clemson...

But it always came back to the ultimate puppet master, ESPN. If they wanted us in the ACC, we would have been in the ACC. Period, End of story.

I have hated them for screwing us going back to the original expansion. If you don't, that's fine. But anyone who understand what really happened knows that it was ESPN who continually screwed us over the most.

And they became even easier to hate when they decided to become political. I haven't watched Sportscenter in years... they have no one to blame but themselves.
Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
While I appreciate that ESPN was the original all sports trailblazer, they have shot themselves in the foot so many times that there is nothing but a stub left.

I watched 10 minutes of little league world series regionals last night. That was the first ESPN I've watched in months. Last time I watched ESPN was maybe for the Masters golf tournament?

Reaction Score

The SEC is in population centers that are growing. Same with ACC. Espn has decided on forgo the rust belt states of the big ten.
I don't think ESPN wanted to lose rights to broadcast some Big 10 games, but it was inevitable. Back in (I think) 2004, the Big 10 asked ESPN for a big increase in their rights deal and ESPN said no which lead to the Big 10 forming the Big 10 Network with FOX. ESPN lost the Big 10 in the long term when the Big 10 Network was formed with FOX in 2006. Ultimately, ESPN announced the SEC Network in 2013 which meant the SEC was going to LT align with ESPN.

Also, timeslots have become a big issue. ESPN/ABC has 9 time slots on Saturdays on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 not including late night and they already own SEC, ACC, AAC, SBC (and maybe Big 12 and Pac 12). The Big 10 and SEC are not going to allow games on ESPNU and ESPNNews and it makes no sense for ESPN to pay top dollar to show the games on these channels. And, 10 years ago, the Big 10 and SEC had 12 schools and they are both going to 16 which adds 4 to 8 (when in non-conference) more P2 games to the Big 10 and SEC inventory each week.

Reaction Score
Espn receives by far the most per subscriber fees of any network. If anything they may have to reduce these fees.
Screenshot_20220809-103848_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
Assuming the NY Post story is accurate (NBC contracting for B10 prime time games), what effect does this have on NBC future negotiations with ND football?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Assuming the NY Post story is accurate (NBC contracting for B10 prime time games), what effect does this have on NBC future negotiations with ND football?

Lines up perfectly for double headers on weeks ND has home games. Or, possible ND road games at B1G opponents.

Reaction Score
What does this mean for the big east? Does fox have enough money now to pay the big east what it’s worth? Is there other options for the big east?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
ESPN wanting Pac12 over Big12 games, would be based on no matter how good or compelling Big12 games are they will be competing against B1G and SEC games and will have smaller viewership.
Pac12 has no P5 competition for the night time games. Still TBD is how many people in eastern and central time zones want to watch the late night games from the West coast.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Obviously they need to hold back cash so that they can buy back the Big East media rights.

#biddingwar

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think the Big 10 is flexing their muscles a bit.
Branding inversion.

Instead of ESPN being the brand you want your conference to be shown on TV, now it's the conference that uses the media as a conduit to promote the conference brand.

Reaction Score

I laugh when I see this rust belt stuff. We were supposed to die 30 years ago. How much of the B1G is in the rust belt?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom