ESPN to be flushed down the toilet by Big10??? Certainly looks that way! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN to be flushed down the toilet by Big10??? Certainly looks that way!

Reaction Score

yeah the B1G just inadvertently helped ND stay indy as they now get the shoulder programming on nbc that they were desperate for.

i'm happy about it. didnt want ND joining the B1G and taking stanford with them. now the only moves left that might make financial sense are the best ACC teams jumping ship to the SEC or B1G when the GOR expires, which i'm very much looking forward to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
but this could mean those 30 B1G games currently on espn/espn2/espnu would move to FOX/FS1/FS2...that can't be good for us especially since we share the same 2 time zones as most of the B1G. we will be directly competing with them for the best time slots on the fox networks.

i just looked up the BE tv schedule and only 13 conference games will be broadcast on FOX with 5 more flexed between fox and fs1. you can bet the B1G will be after all of those time slots.

someone please talk me down from the ledge here
30 games over about 17 weeks equals about 2 games per week. And, the early rounds of the Big 10 tournament are on BTN so FS1/FOX will still want to show the BE tournament.

Reaction Score
30 games over about 17 weeks equals about 2 games per week. And, the early rounds of the Big 10 tournament are on BTN so FS1/FOX will still want to show the BE tournament.
yeah i wasnt including the tourney only regular season conference games. but the BE never has more than 2 games on FOX in a given week and we could lose all of those basic cable slots. with espn losing so much content maybe they will bid up the value of our next tv deal.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
yeah the B1G just inadvertently helped ND stay indy as they now get the shoulder programming on nbc that they were desperate for.

i'm happy about it. didnt want ND joining the B1G and taking stanford with them. now the only moves left that might make financial sense are the best ACC teams jumping ship to the SEC or B1G when the GOR expires, which i'm very much looking forward to.

Find a way to poach FSU, The U and GT from the ACC and give B1G as much of a presence in Georgia and Florida as the SEC. Decimate the ACC while they're at it. Turn it in to a regional mid-Atlantic conference.

How do they do this? I don't know. Do they want to do it? I don't know. Do I want them to do it? Yell heah!!

Reaction Score
Find a way to poach FSU, The U and GT from the ACC and give B1G as much of a presence in Georgia and Florida as the SEC. Decimate the ACC while they're at it. Turn it in to a regional mid-Atlantic conference.

How do they do this? I don't know. Do they want to do it? I don't know. Do I want them to do it? Yell heah!!
sign me up for that but i'd settle for clemson to the sec and unc to the B1G. that way the acc loses their best football and bball programs, like the PAC just did, and it leaves duke high and dry.

Reaction Score
but this could mean those 30 B1G games currently on espn/espn2/espnu would move to FOX/FS1/FS2...that can't be good for us especially since we share the same 2 time zones as most of the B1G. we will be directly competing with them for the best time slots on the fox networks.

i just looked up the BE tv schedule and only 13 conference games will be broadcast on FOX with 5 more flexed between fox and fs1. you can bet the B1G will be after all of those time slots.

someone please talk me down from the ledge here
Just rule number 1. Accept it

Reaction Score

I hate this move. They did it for some baseball games and it just sucks. I don't need more streaming services. I'm 100% more likely to pirate in this case. Don't make it harder for people to watch your games.

Reaction Score
I laugh when I see this rust belt stuff. We were supposed to die 30 years ago. How much of the B1G is in the rust belt?

Saw this chart today. We may not be worth 100M per year, but we are worth more than 10M.

Red Features A Total Population Greater Than The Gray​

1660162961859.jpeg

https://www.factable.com/history/ma...k&twclid=2-5bvhnfqdzaz6ec4orwoedtnbd&safari=1

Reaction Score
If the Big East is invited by the B1G and SEC to take part as a founding member of the new arrangement, it would absolutely jump at the chance.

Reaction Score
yeah i wasnt including the tourney only regular season conference games. but the BE never has more than 2 games on FOX in a given week and we could lose all of those basic cable slots. with espn losing so much content maybe they will bid up the value of our next tv deal.
You are worrying about 2 games per week. FOX/FS1 is going to broadcast the BE Tournament so the are going to want to broadcast regular season games. And, the conference networks are grabbing more content because they have to stay relevant to attract viewers. Even football has been impacted by conference networks. Here is the TV coverage for Week 9 of 2021 for Big 10 football (no school had an off week):

BTN - 3
FOX - 1
ABC - 1
ESPN - 1
ESPN2 - 1

I brought this up before, but look at BC's basketball games ACC and home games TV coverage in 2021/2022:

ACC Network: 11 games
NESN: 6 games
ACCNX: 5
ESPNU: 2
ESPN2: 1
NESN+: 1

Reaction Score
You are worrying about 2 games per week. FOX/FS1 is going to broadcast the BE Tournament so the are going to want to broadcast regular season games. And, the conference networks are grabbing more content because they have to stay relevant to attract viewers. Even football has been impacted by conference networks. Here is the TV coverage for Week 9 of 2021 for Big 10 football (no school had an off week):

BTN - 3
FOX - 1
ABC - 1
ESPN - 1
ESPN2 - 1

I brought this up before, but look at BC's basketball games ACC and home games TV coverage in 2021/2022:

ACC Network: 11 games
NESN: 6 games
ACCNX: 5
ESPNU: 2
ESPN2: 1
NESN+: 1
You are assuming that FOX will want to continue its relationship with the Big East which may or may not be the case.

We do know that FOX is about to throw a ton of cash at the B1G and part of that deal may or may not include more FOX & FS1 hoops games.

After spending all that cash on the B1G does FOX decide to keep whatever powder they have left for the Big East or potentially for the B12 which offers both football and hoops?

We don't know what will happen but I don't think any UConn fan can sit here today and be 100% confident that we will be OK after all of this shakes out

Reaction Score
You are assuming that FOX will want to continue its relationship with the Big East which may or may not be the case.

We do know that FOX is about to throw a ton of cash at the B1G and part of that deal may or may not include more FOX & FS1 hoops games.

After spending all that cash on the B1G does FOX decide to keep whatever powder they have left for the Big East or potentially for the B12 which offers both football and hoops?

We don't know what will happen but I don't think any UConn fan can sit here today and be 100% confident that we will be OK after all of this shakes out
FOX isn't throwing cash at the B1G. FOX owns 60% of the B1G network so they are either paying themselves for the games they keep or receiving money for the games they sold to CBS and NBC.

That being said, it isn't unreasonable to wonder if FOX is no longer as interested in the Big East long term given ESPN is no longer taking on some of these CBB games.

But they also have FS2 so they really should have plenty of timeslots to play around with unless they opt to drop the channel like NBC has done with their own sports specific channel. We will get answers to many of these questions in a year or so.

The Big East is also cheap content in an environment where the only thing that seems to bring ratings these days is reality tv and sports. They can probably get the Big East for $100 million annually (currently $40-50 mil annually) and it is significantly less than what it would cost to get the Big 12, PAC 12, etc while still having buzz, decent ratings, and the Big East tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if the big east has other options besides fox… maybe Amazon or Apple

Reaction Score
But they also have FS2 so they really should have plenty of timeslots to play around with unless they opt to drop the channel like NBC has done with their own sports specific channel. We will get answers to many of these questions in a year or so.

The Big East is also cheap content in an environment where the only thing that seems to bring ratings these days is reality tv and sports. They can probably get the Big East for $100 million annually (currently $40-50 mil annually) and it is significantly less than what it would cost to get the Big 12, PAC 12, etc while still having buzz, decent ratings, and the Big East tournament.
Would the BE sell out for 100 million annually for the right to have most games played on fs2? I'd take less for our games to be on espn2.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm dense, no actually I know I am.. BUT...

I see it here, I hear it constantly from Patriots fans about how much they haaaaaaaaaaaate big bad ESPN.

I just don't get it. Like people flat out refuse to even tune into the channel. I noticed posts even in this thread, people dancing on their grave, even commenting that there are "so many other ways to get your sports news" in this day and age.

But really, are there? I mean let's be honest. I'm a true blue Husky fan but was our predicament really to blame on ESPN? To me it was always very black & white - schools such as Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, Louisville got out of the Big East to chase the football Power 5 money and it paid off because they had football programs that moved the needle. We did not. So we missed out. You can make the argument that we have a bigger market share than BC in New England and Syracuse and Rutgers in the tri-state area. That's all fine and good, but to point the finger @ ESPN is just disingenuous when you can't face what's looking back at you in the mirror.

Fast forward a bit, we are bumped out of the Big East. Well, duh. None of those schools have football. We do, we have to scramble and we end up in the godawful conference. Was that our fault? Yes/No. If the football program wasn't a rudderless ship floating aimlessly, perhaps it would have been different. Is that why people blame ESPN also? Stuck in a conference that never made sense for us in the first place and we get a 3rd rate TV deal from ESPN? Uh duh, of course the AAC got a crap deal. It didn't, and never has brought anything to the table. Did we win the national championship out of the AAC? Sure did, but we had a player/coach to thank for that..

Am I compromising the facts here? I read a handful of posts in here tossing and turning at 4am this morning and it just kind of lame and whiny to blame ESPN for our own problems.

Don't even get me started on Patriots fans.............

To tack on a bit, okay so ESPN loses the Big 10, and replaces it with the SEC? Yeah.. You think they're going to lose a step? With the Big 12 and Pac WhateverIsLeft in tow - I mean????????????

Okay Fox levels up considerably and NBC scores in this scenario but I fail to understand how ESPN "loses"?

Explain it to me like i'm an 8 year old please.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm dense, no actually I know I am.. BUT...

I see it here, I hear it constantly from Patriots fans about how much they haaaaaaaaaaaate big bad ESPN.

I just don't get it. Like people flat out refuse to even tune into the channel. I noticed posts even in this thread, people dancing on their grave, even commenting that there are "so many other ways to get your sports news" in this day and age.

But really, are there? I mean let's be honest. I'm a true blue Husky fan but was our predicament really to blame on ESPN? To me it was always very black & white - schools such as Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, Louisville got out of the Big East to chase the football Power 5 money and it paid off because they had football programs that moved the needle. We did not. So we missed out. You can make the argument that we have a bigger market share than BC in New England and Syracuse and Rutgers in the tri-state area. That's all fine and good, but to point the finger @ ESPN is just disingenuous when you can't face what's looking back at you in the mirror.

Fast forward a bit, we are bumped out of the Big East. Well, duh. None of those schools have football. We do, we have to scramble and we end up in the godawful conference. Was that our fault? Yes/No. If the football program wasn't a rudderless ship floating aimlessly, perhaps it would have been different. Is that why people blame ESPN also? Stuck in a conference that never made sense for us in the first place and we get a 3rd rate TV deal from ESPN? Uh duh, of course the AAC got a crap deal. It didn't, and never has brought anything to the table. Did we win the national championship out of the AAC? Sure did, but we had a player/coach to thank for that..

Am I compromising the facts here? I read a handful of posts in here tossing and turning at 4am this morning and it just kind of lame and whiny to blame ESPN for our own problems.

Don't even get me started on Patriots fans.............

To tack on a bit, okay so ESPN loses the Big 10, and replaces it with the SEC? Yeah.. You think they're going to lose a step? With the Big 12 and Pac WhateverIsLeft in tow - I mean????????????

Okay Fox levels up considerably and NBC scores in this scenario but I fail to understand how ESPN "loses"?

Explain it to me like i'm an 8 year old please.

TL;DR.

I will say this. Back in the day, let's say 1990-2010, when I was younger and had nothing going on, I'd have ESPN on in the background regardless of what was showing on the TV. It was what sports fans did.

Now? If there is a game I want to watch and it's on ESPN, I turn on ESPN about 2 minutes after shceduled start time, watch the game and change the channel. That's it. They no longer hold a near monopoly on information and breaking news. By the time any news makes it to TV land it's not new anymore.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Would the BE sell out for 100 million annually for the right to have most games played on fs2? I'd take less for our games to be on espn2.
Why? Exposure? It's not the 90's anymore.

Reaction Score
TL;DR.

I will say this. Back in the day, let's say 1990-2010, when I was younger and had nothing going on, I'd have ESPN on in the background regardless of what was showing on the TV. It was what sports fans did.

Now? If there is a game I want to watch and it's on ESPN, I turn on ESPN about 2 minutes after shceduled start time, watch the game and change the channel. That's it. They no longer hold a near monopoly on information and breaking news. By the time any news makes it to TV land it's not new anymore.
Yup. It’s been years since I’ve watched Sports Center or any of their other nonsense.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
PTI is still a daily watch for me, but that could move anywhere, and is only loosely connected to the rest of ESPN programming.

Reaction Score
Why? Exposure? It's not the 90's anymore.
is a highschool player gonna come to UConn if he doesnt get fs2 and cant even watch our games without streaming them? what about his parents and grandparents? i know my grandma doesnt get fs2. these things matter. staff just spend an hour on the phone with stewart's grandpa. are we going to hook him up with a sports package if he doesnt get fs2? these are actual considerations. if i were him id opt for the team with all their games on a tv channel my family and i could actually watch.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
is a highschool player gonna come to UConn if he doesnt get fs2 and cant even watch our games without streaming them? what about his parents? these are actual considerations. if i were him id opt for the team with all their games on a tv channel i could actually watch.
If a kid is choosing his college destination based upon his cable package, maybe his judgment is a little questionable?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
is a highschool player gonna come to UConn if he doesnt get fs2 and cant even watch our games without streaming them? what about his parents? these are actual considerations. if i were him id opt for the team with all their games on a tv channel i got.

It's 2022 and FS2 is on every major streaming service. I don't know or care about the different packages with standard cable but if you are a D1 basketball player going to a major program you and your family can watch every game if it's on FS2.

Reaction Score
It's 2022 and FS2 is on every major streaming service. I don't know or care about the different packages with standard cable
yes for an additional price....you might not care about it but there are plenty of people who do. my grandma is a huge husky fan she used to knit scrunchies for them to sell at the school store. she got 10 cents a scrunchy just for the sake of it. if i were a recruit and she couldnt watch all my games b/c she doestn get fs2 how can that not be a factor in my decision?

edit- @Who Ha why are you disliking a post about my grandmother whats wrong with you

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom