ESPN to be flushed down the toilet by Big10??? Certainly looks that way! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ESPN to be flushed down the toilet by Big10??? Certainly looks that way!

Reaction Score
If a kid is choosing his college destination based upon his cable package, maybe his judgment is a little questionable?
so you had no problem when we were in the aac and our games were on espn+? if not you were wrong then and youre wrong now

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
yes for an additional price....you might not care about it but there are plenty of people who do. my grandma is a huge husky fan she used to knit scrunchies for them to sell at the school store. she got 10 cents a scrunchy just for the sake of it. if i were a recruit and she couldnt watch all my games b/c she doestn get fs2 how can that not be a factor in my decision?

edit- @Who Ha why are you disliking a post about my grandmother whats wrong with you

You can stream FS2 cheaper than it costs for cable.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
yes for an additional price....you might not care about it but there are plenty of people who do. my grandma is a huge husky fan she used to knit scrunchies for them to sell at the school store. she got 10 cents a scrunchy just for the sake of it. if i were a recruit and she couldnt watch all my games b/c she doestn get fs2 how can that not be a factor in my decision?

edit- @Who Ha why are you disliking a post about my grandmother whats wrong with you

We're four pages in to this topic so I'm never surprised when the conversation takes a turn. Matter of fact, I love to see how the telephone game works on BY messages.

That being said, this falls in the YHGTBSM category of worrying about losing recruits because grandma can't get FS2.

Reaction Score
That being said, this falls in the YHGTBSM category of worrying about losing recruits because grandma can't get FS2.
it's easy to make light of it but hurley was literally on the phone with stewarts grandfather for over an hour a couple weeks ago. family and their ability to watch games matters to some recruits. i've heard it time and again idk how you havent. i'm not saying anything controversial here. the sky is blue, water is wet, it sucks to have all your games on FS2 or espn+ or cbs sports network, etc.

if all else is equal in a player's recruitment i'm picking the school with all their games on fox/fs1 or espn/espn2 instead of fs2 or espn+

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
so you had no problem when we were in the aac and our games were on espn+? if not you were wrong then and youre wrong now
Our games were never on ESPN plus. We left right before that debacle.

In any event, it’s good to know that no top quality recruits will go to the ACC teams since they have a deal with ESPN, which you apparently think is it a disincentive for their recruitment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
i said i'd rather be on espn2 than fs2 or espn+ how can you even disagree with that?
I think everyone can agree with that, it just wasn’t your original contention. Your original point was that kids are going to pick the college teams they play for based upon cable channels. Exposure is certainly a consideration, but it isn’t s be all and end all in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I think everyone can agree with that, it just wasn’t your original contention. Your original point was that kids are going to pick the college teams they play for based upon cable channels. Exposure is certainly a consideration, but it isn’t s be all and end all in my opinion.
… and if the recruit is big enough, Nonni will get her streaming nut taken care of.

Reaction Score
… and if the recruit is big enough, Nonni will get her streaming nut taken care of.
nonni/nana isnt good with computers but she got a brand new 55" tv for her 100th birthday. that and a one way ticket to the assisted living home.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
is a highschool player gonna come to UConn if he doesnt get fs2 and cant even watch our games without streaming them? what about his parents and grandparents? i know my grandma doesnt get fs2. these things matter. staff just spend an hour on the phone with stewart's grandpa. are we going to hook him up with a sports package if he doesnt get fs2? these are actual considerations. if i were him id opt for the team with all their games on a tv channel my family and i could actually watch.
Your points are moot. The paradigm has shifted already. Great-grandparents know about streaming. You sound like the guy with all his money in buggy whips.

Reaction Score
Back in the day when the women were on CPTV, we purchased a subscription so the wife could watch the games here in Arizona. If people want to watch the game they will pay for the streaming service needed.

Reaction Score
Big Ten Network: 121 games
BIG+ (streaming): 37 games
FS1: 29 games
ESPN/ESPN2: 24 games
FOX: 10 games
CBS: 10 games
ESPNU: 6 games

And, the Big 10 basketball tournament was broadcast on the BTN with the championship and semis on CBS.
so i may have overreacted a bit regarding how the big10 leaving espn would impact BE airtime on the fox channels

according to the Athletic here is how the BIG10 bball tv schedule breaks down:

CBS: up to 11 regular-season men’s basketball games in 2023 and will carry 15 games (13 of which will be conference games) from 2024 onward; will continue to carry the Big Ten tournament semifinals and the championship game, which leads into the CBS Selection Sunday show each March.

Peacock: will stream 32 regular-season men’s basketball games (20 conference games) in 2023-24 and 47 games (32 conference games) from 2024-25 onward as well as the Big Ten tournament’s opening night doubleheader.

BTN: will carry a minimum of 126 men’s games per year. BTN will air the four Thursday games and four quarterfinal games of the Big Ten men’s basketball tournament.

Fox/FS1: will carry a minimum of 45 regular-season men’s basketball games per year

bottom line: the ~45 games on FOX/FS1 is only an increase of half a dozen or so games from the 39 they are currently carrying

Reaction Score
ESPN has no issues making and breaking teams/conferences. Seems fitting they may get burned in the same way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom